Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Kruz and Root starting procedure

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 1216 times

Old 08-16-2019, 12:41:01 PM
Registered

Location: Auburn, CA. in the Sierra-Nevada Foothills on the way to Reno
Default Re: Kruz and Root starting procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseck View Post
Hi everyone,
Attempted starting the generator today. Did not go as planned and would not crank over but did make an odd noise. I took a video that you can hear it in. Iíll put the link to the video below:

https://youtu.be/ub9YXWCBa1o
You need to slow down your video so we can see the parts, starter etc.
Suggest you either put a crowbar on the starter button to push it down hard, take the solenoid off and check the contact or take the stater off, put the battery leads on the starter and see if will work on a bench test. Good Luck. If the solenoid does not work, take it to a starter shop as solenoid are not expensive. I just replaced on on my Lister 10KW for $20.
The Following User Says Thank You to 25Eagle34 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2019, 05:57:18 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25Eagle34 View Post
You need to slow down your video so we can see the parts, starter etc.
Suggest you either put a crowbar on the starter button to push it down hard, take the solenoid off and check the contact or take the stater off, put the battery leads on the starter and see if will work on a bench test. Good Luck. If the solenoid does not work, take it to a starter shop as solenoid are not expensive. I just replaced on on my Lister 10KW for $20.
Thanks Eagle, good to know solenoids are pretty inexpensive. Iíll definitely take a better video, I have a tripod around somewhere. I can get some good shots using it. Also picked up some new 1000 amp batteries in case the 650 amp batteries are part of the problem. Update everyone tomorrow and thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:44:22 PM
Registered

Hi Team,
I am definitely not a whizz on electrics.
I believe I can hear the switch you are activating is causing a heavy duty solenoid to activate.

Check to see if the starter Bendix gear is not jammed in the flywheel ring gear teeth, to do this rock the engine back and forth to ensure the gears have disengaged.
If not jammed then next I would remove the starter and, as suggested above, check that the starter will free spin on the floor with jumper leads from the batteries--make sure you secure the starter as it will try and rotate the itself due to the reaction of the armature suddenly rotating, I usually put pressure on them with one foot on the ground if I cannot put them up clamped moderately tight in a vice.

If the starter tests OK then the large solenoid's contacts may be burned and not allowing maximum battery power thru to activate the starter fully. This can happen with trying to start with flat or inadequate batteries, undersized battery cables, poor corroded contacts at the cable ends, etc.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Eddie B.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:07:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bedwell View Post
Hi Team,
I am definitely not a whizz on electrics.
I believe I can hear the switch you are activating is causing a heavy duty solenoid to activate.

Check to see if the starter Bendix gear is not jammed in the flywheel ring gear teeth, to do this rock the engine back and forth to ensure the gears have disengaged.
If not jammed then next I would remove the starter and, as suggested above, check that the starter will free spin on the floor with jumper leads from the batteries--make sure you secure the starter as it will try and rotate the itself due to the reaction of the armature suddenly rotating, I usually put pressure on them with one foot on the ground if I cannot put them up clamped moderately tight in a vice.

If the starter tests OK then the large solenoid's contacts may be burned and not allowing maximum battery power thru to activate the starter fully. This can happen with trying to start with flat or inadequate batteries, undersized battery cables, poor corroded contacts at the cable ends, etc.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Eddie B.
Thanks Eddie, great suggestions. I had a crazy weekend/beginning of the week and didnít get a chance to try starting the gender again with bigger batteries. Tomorrow my schedule is looking good so hopefully Iíll give it a try. Keep you all posted. If things donít go as planned Iíll be taking the starter off and going from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caseck For This Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 08:55:00 AM
Registered

I havenít had much time lately so I threw the 1000amp batteries in the generator real quick and tried to see if that would change anything (thinking the small 650 amp batteries I tried before were underpowered). Well same result so Iíll be taking the starter off this weekend. Probably the solenoid or contacts like others suggested. Anyway here is a better video of me trying to start it with the bigger batteries.

https://youtu.be/UGeKljcgwiI
Old 08-23-2019, 04:40:29 PM
Registered

Location: Auburn, CA. in the Sierra-Nevada Foothills on the way to Reno

When you get the starter off to check, you can also rotate the engine using a crowbar on the flywheel to loosen it up some more.
to bad there is not an easy way to shoot some oil in the cyliners without removing the injectors. Good luck and most of us have been where you now sometime in the past.
The Following User Says Thank You to 25Eagle34 For This Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 08:20:45 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,590 Times in 692 Posts

Folks,
Please feel free to correct me but looking at the first photo the panel tells me there is some sort of low oil pressure cutoff. Wouldn't it be reasonable to have to hold down the switch in the lower left below the label in order to get the engine to crank. Then as it says, "Hold until Oil Pressure Gauge contacts separate"? ........PD

Last edited by Pete Deets; 09-09-2019 at 08:24:34 PM. Reason: Restating for clarity
Old 09-15-2019, 02:58:31 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,137 Times in 2,019 Posts

Pete, that is probably a Murphy switch on the oil pressure gauge. You holding a button disconnects the low oil pressure threshold switch in the gauge.
Is that engine a two stroke diesel? I saw what looks like a roots blower on the side of the engine. If it is anything like an old Detroit, you want to make sure the fuel rack linkage isn't stuck or gummed up. Otherwise, you could have a run away engine. Be sure to have either a Co2 fire extinguisher or the air intake open where you can cover it with a SOLID piece of plywood to shut the engine down incase it goes into an over rev.
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post: