Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Vintage Construction Equipment > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Pay loaders, Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

Clark Trucloader / Continental N62 Carburetion Woes

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 880 times

Old 10-30-2017, 01:45:40 PM
Registered

Default Clark Trucloader / Continental N62 Carburetion Woes

Hi!

I recently came into possession of a 1947 Clark Trucloader, sans one carburetor. The forklift itself is in pretty good shape overall, but the carburetor is just.... gone. Literally not even there, at all, just a dangling intake hose and an empty flange where it should be. I assume this transpired something like this:

"Oh hey, there's that old forklift back there, thing hasn't run in years. I'll bet the carb's all gummed up. I'm just gonna take this off, clean it all up," and then it went onto a shelf and was gone forever.

As near as I can tell, this is the only thing this machine needs to run -- or at the very least, it is step 0 in making the machine run, but information on this apparently super weird old forklift is surprisingly hard to come by. Clark's reference number for the carburetor is 600964, which correlates to a Zenith 10277, which I have failed to locate a replacement for after weeks of scouring the internet. There are rebuild kits aplenty, but I've yet to find a single carburetor bearing that part number for sale in any form, at any price.

So! I've got to figure out something else. The engine in this forklift, per known specifications, is a Contintental N62; the markings on the cylinder head itself declare it to be an "N62A 500". I've come across several carburetors that also claim to be for a Continental N62, though for a different application -- typically a Massey Harris tractor, wherein the words "Allis Chalmers G" and "Marvel Schebler" are used -- and it is unclear as to whether or not these carburetors are suitable replacements. I'm not above making whatever weird flange adapters and so forth may be required, but before forking over several hundred dollars for an ebay part that seems like maybe it might possibly work, I'd really love any input that y'all might have. Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2017, 03:18:49 PM
Registered

Default Re: Clark Trucloader / Continental N62 carburetion woes

OK let me tell you what I know. That and a $1 will get you coffee at Mcd.

The model numbering system Clark used was chaotic at best. I have a Clark that I am working on and I still don't understand it.

Google Neon Material Handling. They had the numbering system up on their website. If it's not there PM me and I will email it to you.

The carb is listed as a Zenith 62. Remember the carbs of that era were crude at best so anything close from a tractor or other flathead inline 4 would likely work.

Continental is now owned by Wisconsin the air cooled V4 people. There is about 6-8 pages I can email it to you if you can't find manual.

Try manuals.chudov.com. Careful you may get sucked into the Russian probe. It looks like the one I have.

You can contact Zenith as they are still providing support. I used them to ID a Ford 800 carb. Mattie Bellamy 276 645 8619/Mike Farmer 276 645 8632 Cust Support.

The S/N should be under the battery box. May have multi coats of paint.
Supposed to be in other places too, never could find them on mine.

The service manual is avail from Clark. Make sure you have plenty of clean money when you ask. glenwood@clarkmhc.com

I have a CD with a number of Clark lifts some industrial, some military.
IF you find any other identifier I may have some usable info. Also try Ebay I bought Parts Manual for mine there.

Obviously, I fool around with old forklifts and tractors. Let me know if I can assist.

I am NW of Houston. Also Helmarparts.com has parts at less than dist, BUT you need P/Ns

Good Luck Hope this helps

JLG
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Geraci For This Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 10:15:22 AM
Registered

Oh man, thanks a ton! Or even several tons, this crap is all super heavy.

I went ahead and snagged an Allis Chalmers G carb from a dude on ebay, which is also from a Continental N62. Talked to the dude on the phone for a bit, and it seems like this one will probably work, or will at least probably be close enough to the right part that I can plausibly get it to work. The mounting flanges seem to be about the right size, and the carb is in generally the right configuration. I'll find out in a couple weeks when it gets here.

I did manage to get ahold of the service manual for this lift, though I'd love to see any documentation that may exist about the engine itself. Thanks very much for all the info!
Old 08-26-2018, 09:28:11 AM
Registered

If someone has manuals on the Truckloaders, Inwould love to have a copy.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:53:21 PM
Registered

Default Re: Clark Trucloader / Continental N62 Carburetion Woes

Suggest you troll the internet for information on the Cont engine. Overhaul info is readily available. Search for info on carb by make and model.

Clark Parts books (orig) show up on Ebay and copies too. Can buy books from Clark just need lots of clean money.

Engine parts are readily available. Engines are simple flat heads. Easy to repair.

If you have P/Ns Helmar can help with hard parts on the truck itself.

JLG
Old 09-20-2018, 11:15:24 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Clark Trucloader / Continental N62 Carburetion Woes

Earthmaster, Allis Chalmers G's and the Massey Harris Pony tractors, along with the old Towmotor 502-S fork lifts used that engine.
It is an up draft carburetor with the air intake and choke on the bottom. There were also some Marvel Schebler carburetors that were made as replacements. I bought an Earthmaster model C with that engine and some one had made an adapter and used a large Briggs & Stratton two piece flow jet carburetor. It ran very good. They made a bell-crank to have the governor arm working and it was a good set up. Only problem was they did not have a remote choke rod and they had to choke it with the little lever on the side of the carburetor. Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.