Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Vintage Construction Equipment > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Pay loaders, Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

Ford CL20 SkidSteer

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 934 times

Old 02-21-2017, 09:58:08 PM
Registered-II

Default Ford CL20 SkidSteer

I have a 1978 Ford CL20 Skidsteer. Runs great! However, one of the axles twisted and broke. Its a long shot but is there anyone out there that has an axle for it? I am weighing options of repairing the old axle but that is a questionable undertaking.

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2017, 10:15:26 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Ford CL20 SkidSteer

I've seen this happen before on the same model of loader. I'm guessing that there's something marginal about those axles, or else the quality control or metallurgy is slipshod. The last one I saw was on a tenant's machine. He tried to have the axle "repaired" (against my advice) and it was a complete waste of time and money. If the axle itself is not up to the task, any repair most certainly won't be as strong as the original metal and will fail in short order.

The tenant ended up spending something like $700 for a new axle, plus the time to install it. That's about the value of the machine, methinks, but he did what he had to do. From my foggy recollection there isn't anything particularly special about that axle, just a shaft with a taper on one end and keyways. What I would do if it were mine, I would simply make a new axle from a good quality steel. If you do not have the ability to do this, I'd say find a good machine shop to make one for you.

Good luck!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:38:10 PM
Registered

Default Re: Ford CL20 SkidSteer

contact Herman Mfg at507-553 5296 they made a lot of them I supplied the prototype