Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Vintage Construction Equipment > Lifting and Loading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lifting and Loading Pay loaders, Fork lifts, tow motors, jacks and hoists.

Lifting and Loading

Daewoo Forklift - Lift Cylinder Repair

this thread has 32 replies and has been viewed 1355 times

Old 03-26-2018, 10:05:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,545 Times in 1,754 Posts
Default Re: Daewoo Forklift - Lift Cylinder Repair

Its ok Russell, I've never seen one like this either. Went up and looked at it again, and had 2 others look at it to verify. Pic 1 base of cylinder front. Pic 2 base of cylinder back, hyd hose in both pics is the one going to center of cylinder wall. Pic 3 Top of cylinder, big nut with flats for a wrench. Note the port boss on top right of cylinder, it has what looks like a brake bleeder valve. Pic 4 top of ram, pretty sure that all unbolts and can be set to side.

As long as I can break the nut free without pulling the whole cylinder, I'm kind of liking this design. Did right side steering cyl on the JD (again) last week, and was not looking forward to wrestling with a rod 3 times longer/heavier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dhyd 5.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	306713   Click image for larger version

Name:	dhyd 6.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	306714   Click image for larger version

Name:	dhyd 7.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	306715   Click image for larger version

Name:	dhyd 8.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	306716  

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2018, 09:38:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,541 Times in 2,214 Posts

You have a helluva leaker on your hands! Order the seal kit then rip n tear into it.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:33:30 AM
Registered-I

Having never seen on of these, I'm still trying to get my head around the concept. ????
I get that the entire cylinder is pressurized to move the ram. How does the pressurized oil get to the bottom of the cylinder to exert force on end of the ram? Is there clearance between the ram and the cylinder to allow oil to pass? If so, what keeps the ram from wobbling in the tube? I get that this design eliminates the cost of seals on the end of the ram, but what is the advantage of introducing the oil at mid-stroke instead of at the bottom of the cylinder?
Old 03-27-2018, 12:04:11 PM
Subscriber

Dalgal, europachris and several others got it right. Notice the ram is only slightly smaller than the outer cylinder tube. There is not a piston as we might know it, just a guide at the bottom of the ram to keep it aligned, and keep you from blowing it out of the cylinder. The ram IS the piston. The upper gland nut and seal is the only pressure seal required. The bleeder nut is to remove the air trapped inside the hollow ram. If you raise the whole thing about 6" and throw a wood block under the fork fence, you should be able to slack out the chains enough to pull the roller head without breaking the chains. Hopefully the packing nut will turn with a chain wrench, it should be o ring sealed so does not require thousands of ft lbs of torque.

Charlie The only real advantage of the inlet being so high is in getting the lines and fitting up higher on the machine where damage is less likely. Really doesn't matter where you squirt the oil in, it still figures out which way to go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toesmack For This Post:
Old 03-27-2018, 02:54:03 PM
Registered-I

Aha. So there is a guide at the bottom of the ram/piston to keep it centered and still allow oil to pass. Is this a wear part that should be replaced along with the seal at the top? If not, it looks like a big advantage to this system is that you don't have to remove the ram during overhaul. I hadn't considered that the ram might be hollow (and open at the bottom end?) That would mean that the pressurized oil pushes against the top end of the ram instead of the bottom, greatly reducing the compression force on the ram. I guess that means that there would be bleeders at the tops of both the cylinder and the ram. I think I get it now. Thanks for your help, Toesmack.

To dalmationgirl. My apologies for temporarily hijacking your thread. Good luck with your project.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:49:45 PM
Subscriber

Charlie, its not hijacking, this style ram is clearly new to a few of us. I had looked at it for a week before posting here, needed to make sure my thinking was not crazy.

Ordered a seal kit today, Doosan carries parts for the Daiwoo line, all they needed was model & serial numbers. $36 + tax and shipping and it should be here Thursday. Might have been a little cheaper at the parts counter at a hydraulic shop in SA or Austin, but I really try to avoid going to either one of those towns, its a traffic nightmare and can be an all day trip.

Out of curiosity I wondered what happened to Daiwoo and did a little looking into it, here is the Wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo they went bankrupt in 1999, about 84 billion in US dollars in the hole. The heavy industry section became Doosan, and the automotive section is now owned by GM, and marketed under the Holden name in Australia and several other countries.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:20:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,109 Times in 595 Posts

Truck hoist have been built like that for years. Most are telescoping (one ram inside another) and are sealed at the top. At the bottom part of the ram there usually some brass on the ram about 1 or 2" wide that will just fit inside the barrel to guide the ram inside the barrel. It will have some places in the brass to let the oil go by.

D-Girl, I think you have it figured out.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:31:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,109 Times in 595 Posts

Here are two pictures of hydraulic cylinders, the first is our old fork lift. It has a three stage cylinder. The oil goes in at the bottom, the line you see at the top of the cylinder is a leak off line. There are only two stages out.

The second picture is of a truck three stage hoist cylinder. You can see the end of the ram, it is the same size as the rest of the ram that goes through the seal.

The brass at the end of the ram is larger than the rest of the ram. It hits the part that holds the seal so the ram doesn't blow out of the cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1365.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	306826   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1366.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	306827  
The Following User Says Thank You to Heins For This Post:
Old 03-30-2018, 07:19:48 PM
Subscriber

Nice sunny day today so I worked on the Daewoo. Pic 1 Load guard removed and a jack stand under fork carriage, had to stand on top of cylinder while friend pulled lever to get it to lower so there was slack in chains. Pic 2 Gland nut removed, used the chain wrench. Pic 3 seals replaced and gland nut back on, even though rod has a good bevel, it was a pia getting new seal over rod, solution was a piece of pipe over rod, then levering with a 2x4 against steering wheel. Pic 3 being a hard tire lift I guess mfr thought this machine would live indoors so there was no cap to cover top of cylinder, decided to make a cap for it and this little ss bowl fit just right. Should keep out most of the rain, the ever-present dust, and reduce UV exposure to the wiper seal which is exposed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dhyd 9.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	306973   Click image for larger version

Name:	dhyd 10.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	306974   Click image for larger version

Name:	dhyd 11.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	306975   Click image for larger version

Name:	dhyd 12.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	306976  

Old 03-30-2018, 07:24:35 PM
Subscriber

Pic 1 the new dust/rain/UV cap installed and lift ready to test. Pic 2 it all works great, dust cap just clears the chains and hoses, and drops right over cylinder every time.

Next up is the side shift cylinder, need to give that area a good bath before tearing into it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dhyd 13.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	306978   Click image for larger version

Name:	dhyd 14.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	306979