Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

The ABC of Engine-Driven Generators & Control

this thread has 53 replies and has been viewed 1676 times

Old 04-12-2017, 10:33:51 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: The ABC of Engine-Driven Generators & Control

Plus the cost of the envelope
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2017, 11:03:02 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,221 Posts

I asked this web site's administrator, Harry, if the document in question could be uploaded so that everyone could access it. Weeeeell my efforts have come to a screeching halt when he asked me to check the bottom inside cover to see if it is copyrighted. To me chagrin the answer is Yes! The document says copyright 1955 - Electric Machinery Mfg. Company.

So, I sent an email request to Electric Machinery asking for relieve from the copyright law. I explained what and why I wanted permission to copy their document.

So we will have to wait and see what they say. I do not see why they would mind.

As for mailing the document the first class postage is $ 2.03 to USA and $ 3.33 to Canada.

More later.

Break-Break

I just heard back from the documents author and I also informed Harry WRT their response which is:

Leon,

Thank you for calling Electric Machinery Company. The ABC of Engine-Driven Generators and their Control publication is a copyright brochure created in 1955. As long as the document is not edited in anyway and the EM name remains on the document, we have no issue with you sharing this document.

Thank you for your interest in EM and have a great day.

Electric Machinery Company

Last edited by Leon N.; 04-12-2017 at 11:09:27 AM. Reason: Good News!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 11:16:07 AM
Subscriber

That's good start. You would have needed that same response from EM should you have gone to Office Depot.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:26:33 AM
Registered-III

Yes you are correct. Thanks to Harry, he may have prevented a very embarrassing situation for me.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:51:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,432 Times in 3,943 Posts

There are some "fair use" provisions when dealing with copyrights, but I don't know what they are.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:16:03 PM
Registered

Hi Leon -

I would be interested in a copy as well. Just let me know the price and details once you get them figured out.

Thanks.

Brian
Old 04-12-2017, 01:52:29 PM
Registered-III

OK I believe I have the green light to proceed. My son made 23 copies. I will retain one and mail the remaining 22 starting with post #1 and keep a tally of who send me some compensation for our efforts. When all 22 copies are mailed, we can consider electronically sending the 45.5Mb flash drive, or splitting it in half or what to make the document more accessible. I like mailing copies because I know the mailed copy is well reproduced and very impressive. This document should peak your interest in the subject.

To help defray our son's time and material expense, I reason this way: 16 double sided color pages x 40 cents/copy x 2 plus mailing to a USA address of ~$ 2.03 yields $ 14.83 per mailing first class in a stiffened 8 1/2 x 11 do-not-bend envelope. The best outside color copy price I found was 59 cents and not perfectly done at that.

So lets say if you send me a personal check for $15.00 that will be fine. When received, I will send you an impressive copy and it should arrive in 2-3 days.

I will start with post #1 by providing my US mail address to those 17 and go from there. Would like to know what you think and I will get started this afternoon or this evening by PM'ing those listed in post #1 with my US mail address.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:33:50 PM
Subscriber

I am also interested in a copy, and more than willing to donate to the cause. I would suggest PayPal if your son has an account.

That being said, I would MUCH prefer an electronic copy, and highly recommend Twinslan as a hosting location.

Last resort, I have a web site where I am willing to host the electronic copy as well.

thanks for all the help on this!
Old 04-12-2017, 03:38:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,004 Times in 438 Posts

Leon, great job!

PDF version is here for those of us with old eyes......It's about 35MB so give it a bit to load/download.

http://patricioconcha.ubb.cl/abc_mot...mb/010_224.pdf
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OnanParts For This Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 04:24:49 PM
Registered-III

OnanParts, that's the document but it is not in bright Electric Machinery colors! Wish you had told me that sooner. Well anyways, my copies are on heavy weight paper and all set to go.

Guess I will respond to any PM requests with my mailing address and not initiate any further actions unless some PM requests are made. I do have one from a Mr. Dawkins and a Preskitaz.

Radarman I know nothing about Twinslan or how to contact them. Can you provide additional information.?
Old 04-12-2017, 04:56:27 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon N. View Post
Radarman I know nothing about Twinslan or how to contact them. Can you provide additional information.?
Leon, its http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/ and I think Doug Reed maintains it:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showt...light=twinslan
Old 04-12-2017, 08:55:39 PM
Registered-III

BREAK - BREAK

My day is going down hill. As much as I like to follow the Stak and help out when I can I am getting increasingly barraged by my wife about spending too much time here and not enough with her, etc, etc, ya da ya da ya. So I want to change what I said earlier about using the Stak PM to contact you folks who expressed an interest in getting an excellent copy of the Electric Machinery ABC document. That PM route takes too much time. I can keep better track of correspondence via email than through the Stak private message route.

It takes too much time for me to send a PM to each interested Stak member and go back and forth, etc. I am 80 years old, I do not understand all this talk about terms like flash drives, paypal, jump drive, etc. I do know what a CD is, however. My son is a big help, but at times he does not have much patience with me when I do not catch on or remember quickly.

He came home with 23 excellent copies. He is a perfectionist in everything he does. I have 19 copies left. I hope I can provide them to you folks on a first come basis. If the demand exceeds 19, my son said he can make more identical copies at work. We have plenty of paper and envelopes so that is not a problem either.

Tonight he told me he can copy the file onto a CD and that blank CDs are very cheap, pennies? He implied he could make a few? When he does that, I presume I can send one or more to some of you who expressed a preference.

Guess the bottom line is, all you guys who want a beautiful copy, double sided on heavy paper just send me a promise to pay and your mailing address. Send your request and US mailing address to me at: leon.narbut@gmail.com

I would be very happy to share this document with you folks.

I have to keep things simple, sort of like my JB with all my data I have been collecting since 1970. I am so much more comfortable being near it than this high tech stuff which is obviously for the younger set.

Sorry to vent. I hope you all understand.

Leon
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 10:41:56 AM
Registered-III

Good Morning Folks:

Wifie is off to do the shopping so I have some time to look at the Stak. Upon opening my email account today, I noticed I have received a second response from the Electric Machinery Mfg Company, this time their tech support operations where as the first response was from there public relations department.

Anyways, there tech support group said:

Leon: For your files…….

Attached is the ABC OF PACKAGED ENGINE GENERATOPR SETS thsat you requested…….I hope it is of some assistance…………….Ron S EM

I guess that guy named Ron clued in on the phrase "ABC" and sent me a 1.4 MB email attachment entitled: MOTOR STARTING ON LIMITED CAPACITY GENERATING SYSTEMS. The 4 page B & W article is entitled: DEAD LOAD PICKUP AND MOTOR STARTING ON LIMITED-CAPACITY GENERATING SYSTEMS.

The article does not appear to be copy right protected just some tech info with interesting graphs. Now this article graphs really big systems in the SKVA/GKVA category but what is interesting is the technical discussion and theory. The theory does have some applicability to our small Onan power plants as well.

Since it was emailed to me, I presume I can email a copy to who ever is interested.

Leon

BTW, I have 17 first class copies of the ABC document. It is available to anyone who does not have access to a top line color printer and/or paper as I am fortunate to have. Just let me know
Old 04-13-2017, 02:15:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,395 Times in 931 Posts

Have been enjoying reading the version that was available via the link. A link to a color version would be neat though. For now I've saved the black and white one to my computer. Thank you.

Leon, did you see the mention of the magnetic amplifier based static exciter yet?

It would be interesting to see the other document, about applying motor loads to generators, and compare it to this one:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157472

Keith