Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Wiring up 6.5NH (Backfeed Discussion)

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 849 times

Old 04-14-2017, 10:19:23 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Wiring up 6.5NH (Backfeed Discussion)

Thanks for the detailed write-up! I have #10 (10/4) running from the generator inlet box to the breaker box running to a dual 30-amp breaker. I'm OK getting a grounding rod and installing it at the generator chassis.

In the input box, the ground should connect from gen to box ground and to ground going into neutral bar in the main box? Here's how I'm envisioning the setup based on my understanding.

Also am I modifying the way neutral works in the NH such that it will no longer be able to be used standalone (which is OK)?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2017, 11:54:53 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTech View Post
In the input box, the ground should connect from gen to box ground and to ground going into neutral bar in the main box?

Also am I modifying the way neutral works in the NH such that it will no longer be able to be used standalone (which is OK)?
You are correct, regarding the grounding at the inlet box and the panel. The ground wire in the SOOW cord will effectively ground the generator when the L14-30 connector is mated to the inlet box.

Will you need the NH as a stand-alone generator, or will it be exclusively used as a home standby? If you keep the neutral and ground isolated at the generator, it will be easy enough to tie them together, if needed in the future.

Neutral/ground connections have been a hotly debated issue on this bulletin board as well as many other fronts in the electrical industry. The National Electrical Code is updated every three years. Many changes are initiated because an incident/accident happened. I have seen older standby generators (1980s and earlier vintage) that had a bolt stud factory welded to generator stator, with the generator's neutral leads connected to that bolt along with a lug for field wiring connections. There definitely wasn't any neutral/ground isolation on them.

BTW, nice job on your graphics.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:15:40 AM
Registered-I

I don't need it as a standalone I was just curious if I'd need to reconfigure it back should I choose to do so - sounds like I do.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 04-15-2017, 02:13:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,018 Times in 714 Posts

Steve, is the ground rod at the generator now required even when supplying a building where a main bonding jumper is installed, such as the OP's scenario?

I always thought that the ground rod was only required when the generator has a bonded neutral, and the building served doesn't, or at least that portion served by the generator doesn't and the transfer switch switches the neutral.

Or is this possibly just a local jurisdiction issue?

Keith
Old 04-15-2017, 10:34:07 PM
Sponsor

It's probably more of a local jurisdiction issue that morphed out of a manufacturer's installation diagram or recommendation. Some of the local cities wanted to see a ground rod at the generator, and others did not. The inspectors that did want a ground rod just checked to see if it was connected to the base or frame of the generator.

As we know, grounding electrodes (rods or otherwise) are not required for non-separately derived systems. NEC 250-54 does allow for "Auxiliary Grounding Electrodes" to be connected to the equipment grounding system for local earth reference or lightning protection.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Dawkins For This Post: