Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

CCK 5KW propane "priming button"

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 396 times

Old 04-18-2017, 11:39:23 PM
Registered-I

Default CCK 5KW propane "priming button"

Hi guys -

I have a CCK 5KW propane powered genset. It's used to power my off-grid cabin which has solar as the main source.

I want to be able to start it remotely (using remote generator start feature) but on my set, the little propane "primer button" usually needs to be pressed to feed propane into the system after it's been sitting for a few hours of no use.

I have an electric safety valve between the main propane feed and the generator. It opens with 12V which I have wired to the coil circuit. It opens when the set is starting up and running.

Question is: how can I "press the prime button" remotely? Is there another way? I don't understand what it's doing and the little diaphragm that's there.

Suggestions or advice?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2017, 12:17:57 AM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: CCK 5KW propane "priming button"

I have lots of customers running CCKs with various hillbilly propane conversions done to them and they all start right up with no priming required.

I wonder what the hangup is in yours.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:20:58 AM
Registered-I

right now I am just testing with the propane bottle and turning it off.....

perhaps once it's plumbed in, it will act different????
Old 04-19-2017, 02:22:20 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,147 Posts

On my 7.5JB, I have a Garretson regulator with an electric primer solenoid. I have the solenoid on a momentary switch and I can hold it for about two seconds and it starts right away. I am using this with NATURAL GAS and the the gas feed line from the valve at the house is 12 feet long.
If you hook up your 12 volt gas lock valve just ahead of the demand regulator and once you turn the propane on and bleed it the first time, it should restart easily if all is adjusted right. When you leave the cabin, you will then shut off the propane tank.
How will you keep the battery charged when you are away? Do you have a solar trickle charger?
This isn't the exact regulator I used but the same type. http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMPCO-STYLE-...NSeSl5&vxp=mtr
"Ma" Bell.

Last edited by Motorhead; 04-19-2017 at 02:34:30 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:49:07 AM
Registered-I

Good information. If I find that I need to prime it before each start, I will investigate and electric primer like your link shows.

I plan to keep the generator battery charged with a separate smallish solar panel array (just 2 panels feeding my old retired 12volt solar setup). Some concern in the winter time with snow covering panels and the lack of sunlight...

Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:00:38 PM
Subscriber

The button just allows air to be displaced by propane in the distance between the regular/cut off valve and zero governor. On my Honda ES6500 which is propane fired, I usually open the valves on the tanks, go do something else for a few minutes, come back, choke and crank. Usually fires right off with one or no primer button presses. Maybe you can rig a timer relay to delay the starter cranking to allow some time for gas pressure to build in your system and get to the carb and then you might be able to skip the primer.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:30:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,321 Times in 775 Posts

If the 12V shutoff solenoid is activated the Primer button will actually allow gas to flow all the way into the carb and intake manifold. You can hear and smell the gas going in. It pushes on the diaphragm same as the engine vacuum pulls on it so it has the same effect. Too much priming can flood the engine with fuel which can make it hard to start or it can backfire. A judicious press of the primer button will ensure the piping and tubing have propane in them so it does not take as long for fuel to reach the engine. However the 12V solenoid has to be activated for any propane to flow in the first place. The electric primer style of Garretson can be used in stubborn starting engines but should not be necessary in all applications. Gaseous fuel engines will have a bit of a delay while fuel reaches the engine, some more than others. Ensuring that the ignition system is in good shape and experimenting with spark plug gap can help to optimize starting speed. Cheers Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to BigBlockChev For This Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 03:56:33 PM
Email NOT Working

At the risk of repeating myself, CCKs with all manner of propane carburetor spuds installed wherever are among the easiest starting LPG sets that I see, and I have not known one that needed to be primed at all.

It can take a couple of seconds of cranking to purge the air from a long line after the demand regulator.