Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan CCK 4.0 starting issue

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 487 times

Old 03-23-2017, 08:32:15 AM
Registered

Default Onan CCK 4.0 starting issue

Hello I'm new here, first time posting but have been reading and learning here for years. So first off i have an Onan 4.0 CCK I believe its a 1974 spec R. I have gone through the entire machine, Its a main power source at my cabin so id like it to be in top shape. The 300-C859 board was completely shot when i first started working on the generator. So after much reading here i purchased a new board from Flight systems. The generator runs perfectly if i take the board out of the equation, new coil, new points newly rebuilt fuel pump,carb, 35 psi oil pressure, and about 95 psi per cylinder compression. So now my problem, with the new board attached and all wired up per the electrical schematic i do not get power to the starter solenoid for some reason. If i jump power to the solenoid from terminal 5 i can get it to turn over and start, but no mater what when i hit the actual start switch nothing. I have no oil pressure switch and no high temp switch so i know its not those. I'm not sure if i'm having an issue with the new board or what. Any help is greatly appreciated and i apologize if i'm beating up an old topic, i just cant seam to find answers anywhere. Thanks in advance for any help!
The Following User Says Thank You to jeye For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2017, 10:47:25 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Onan CCK 4.0 starting issue

I think you'll find this interesting-

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showt...ay+replacement
The Following User Says Thank You to lokay5 For This Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 06:45:53 AM
Registered

Thanks, I have seen that thread id rather not go to the relay system unless i absolutely have to. I have a brand new flight systems board. I'm just getting no power going to the start solenoid when the start button is pressed unless i put power to terminal 9 with a jumper wire
Old 03-24-2017, 12:12:42 PM
Registered

I have a feeling it might have to do with the start disconnect but i dont really know anything about it.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:01:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,770 Times in 998 Posts

I think that a call to Flight systems and ask them about your issue would be in order. Possibly they can send you a schematic.
"Ma" Bell.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:57:18 AM
Registered

So i have talked to Tim at Flight systems, extremely nice people. He was able to send me some schematics. I've made a little head way. I can get the engine to turn over by holding the start switch, but now when i let off it wont stay running. If i hold the other non-functioning switch down it will run as long as i hold it. Seems that how ever the board converts the 24 volts down to 12 volts and runs the power to pin 6 (+ coil) isn't working properly. The guys at flight systems seem to be out of ideas as well. Its about to get switched power from another pin if i cant get it figured out soon. Does anyone know how the start disconnect works on these? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:01:15 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,069 Times in 1,718 Posts

The "non functioning switch" is used to pull start the CCK (in CCK's with a rope sheave) in the event the battery is too low to crank the engine. It simply applies battery power to the coil and fuel pump bypassing the electronic controls.

Check to see if the generator end is supplying 12 volts to pin 8 of the control board once it starts running.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 04-04-2017, 10:48:23 AM
Registered

Okay will try tonight, I believe i do have power there.Ill let you know how i make out thanks so much for the quick response.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:26:26 PM
Registered

i do have power at pin 8 when running, i am replacing the large resister (Onan 353-0047) it looked pretty bad the outer shell was broken, but the resistance seemed fine between the 4 pins.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:13:14 AM
Registered

So the control board was sent back to Flight systems and they are checking it over. Hopefully its just something small that i caused. I found after i sent the board out that the large resister in side the generator head was bad so i replaced it now just waiting for the board to be returned. I will keep you guys informed. Thanks again for all the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeye For This Post: