Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan vs. Generac Death Match II

this thread has 40 replies and has been viewed 1615 times

Old 04-08-2017, 11:04:20 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,503 Times in 899 Posts
Default Onan vs. Generac Death Match II

There may be a Death Match II in the near future (maybe). While down of the municipal dump this morning to drop off my Jeep Cherokee's old exhaust that fell off earlier this week, I found a Generac iX2000 in the Appliance Pile of Death.

Against better judgement of polluting an Onan environment in my garage, I loaded the Generac into my vehicle and took it home. I did not spend much time on it, but it is a no start however it has compression. The gas smelled fresh and upon popping off the side cover it was serviced in 4/2016. Upon a very quick inspection, I assume it has no spark, but I do not have time to look into it now.

If I can get it to run, I would like to find an 2,000 watt Onan, service both generators then run both side by side at 80% or more rated capacity in an even competition match until one of the two dies of horrible fate. For those that remember, I ran a 4.0 BFA against a China junker Champion 4000. The Champion 4000 was new out of the box and only survived 26 (or was it 28 hours) until it threw a rod and the block cracked.

Below are several pictures of the Generjunk.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	279556   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	279557  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2017, 11:57:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,148 Posts
Default Re: Onan vs. Generac Death Match II

I would of picked it up to.. being so easy to get to.. You need a lk or aj now
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowlister For This Post:
Old 04-08-2017, 12:14:05 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,775 Posts

Or maybe a 2.8KV MicroLite...
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 04-08-2017, 12:19:18 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Or maybe a 2.8KV MicroLite...
I would be reluctant to guess which one would die first.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 04-08-2017, 12:22:24 PM
Registered-III

I bet at least half those appliances could be brought back to life easily.
The Following User Says Thank You to Graycenphil For This Post:
Old 04-08-2017, 12:46:58 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,775 Posts

Most of them probably can be brought back easily. One of my friends has a friend that works at a municipal dump. When he sees anything that looks good, into the back of his truck it goes, and is delivered to my friend, who fixes it in most cases, then it's sold on Craigslist and they split the money. Most repairs are just clean the carburetor, replace a switch, or a new magneto. In a lot of cases the item is a current model still being sold in Sears or Home Depot.

The reason it's at the dump is people can't repair it themselves, and the service shops want $100 to $200 up front just to look at it. It's more cost effective just to buy a new one.

Unfortunately, the dump in my area has a "no picking" policy, or I would have a nice easy source of spare cash.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:18:23 PM
Sponsor

Uh-oh, I think the "i" in the iX2000 model number may indicate that it's an inverter unit. You may have to break out the soldering pencil after you get the engine running.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:24:52 PM
Subscriber

Regarding the appliances seen in the dump and bringing them back to life.

Yes, most can be brought back to life. Although most, if not all the appliances made cheaply, frequently I can find 2 or three compatible appliances and build 1 good one. What you see is only one pile. There are other piles such as the cast iron pile, aluminum pile, steel pile and dumpsters for just about everything including electronics. I find all kinds of neat things in the dump almost weekly.

As for what gets dumped, it pisses me off at times. It is so sad that most people in my area will throw away almost perfectly good items, only to go and purchase new items for replacement. At times I am baffled. Maybe folks in my area have too much money to be bothers to fix something minor, or too dumb to know how to fix anything. Maybe both. Lots of pencil pushers here, but they lack total common sense and physical mechanical ability.

Their loss, my gain...

JohnnyC
New Jersey

---------- Post added at 01:24:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dawkins View Post
Uh-oh, I think the "i" in the iX2000 model number may indicate that it's an inverter unit. You may have to break out the soldering pencil after you get the engine running.
Yes, it is an inverter. I googled it earlier.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 04-08-2017, 01:31:44 PM
Registered-III

Washers and dryers are the best. If you see a pair on the curb, it's a good bet at least one of them is working fine. One broke, and the people decided they want a matched pair so they throw them both away.

Funny thing is, sometimes they are both working just fine. I guess the owner just wanted a different color.
The Following User Says Thank You to Graycenphil For This Post:
Old 04-08-2017, 02:17:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,780 Times in 3,483 Posts

I've found and fixed lot of nice stuff on the curb. Never bought a snow blower or lawn mower since I was a kid.

As a kid parents made me mow the lawn with a old fashion push reel mower, no engine, human powered. At around 14 I found a couple junk 3hp lawn mowers and swapped parts to make a running one. ( one had broke crank other broke rod). Then I mowed the lawn with power, no more pushing.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 04-08-2017, 03:34:43 PM
Subscriber

Update on the Generjunk. As I suspected, there is no spark. I pulled the plug and it was wet from gas. Earlier when trying to start it, there was absolutely no signs of it firing over.

So, the problem was be an electrical problem in the Generjunk or the spark plug. Since this is a Generjunk, I would bet the problem is NOT the spark plug. This is all the time I plan to spend on this p.o.s. today.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

---------- Post added at 03:34:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38:45 PM ----------

*** If for some reason that a repair part would cost too much, I have a "Plan B" for the Generac (Plan A is Death Match II).

I want to construct a electric mechanical arm that will swing a cement filled pipe. Essentially, it will be a mechanical batting arm that will continuously swing the pipe with lots of force.

I want rig the Generac so it securely hangs from a tree on a chain. The electo-mechanical batting device will be 100% powered by my Onan 6.5NH and will be positioned so the cement filled pipe continuously beats the crap out of the Generac until nothing is left. I can stream the action live over the internet as I did for the Death Match. We can make friendly bets as to how long the Generac lasts until it is unrecognizable or maybe raise a few dollars to help Harry's administrative costs for this site as we did for the Death Match. Open to any and all ideas.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 04-08-2017, 03:45:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,780 Times in 3,483 Posts

Bit of a side track but here's an idea for a different interesting video. Bolt up that cement pipe off center to an engine and clamp whole thing to a tall old dead tree. Then run the engine at different speeds till the tree vibrates in several S shapes and video it cracking the top ~ 1/6 off the tree. Then increase rpm and do it several more times. Guessing 3 hp will do it. I got a few tall ones near house and power line that have to come down piece by piece, before they choose the time to come down in 1 piece.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:21:12 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
Bit of a side track but here's an idea for a different interesting video. Bolt up that cement pipe off center to an engine and clamp whole thing to a tall old dead tree. Then run the engine at different speeds till the tree vibrates in several S shapes and video it cracking the top ~ 1/6 off the tree. Then increase rpm and do it several more times. Guessing 3 hp will do it. I got a few tall ones near house and power line that have to come down piece by piece, before they choose the time to come down in 1 piece.
Len, the idea is to destroy the Generac in the most horrific way, not my trees.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 04-09-2017, 02:57:03 AM
Subscriber

Destroying it in the most horrific way requires getting it running. Wide open throttle, governor disconnected, wound out until it is about ready to blow on its own, then drop a water balloon down the intake. Just be sure to be standing where you won't get perforated by the scattering parts.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:40:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 12,935 Times in 6,092 Posts

Just shoot the genajunk unit. Put it out of it's misery.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:54:46 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy J Shafer View Post
Just shoot the genajunk unit. Put it out of it's misery.
I would like to, but this state is mostly ran by libs and if you fire off an air gun and get caught, you go to jail . Ask me how I know....

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezerbill View Post
Destroying it in the most horrific way requires getting it running. Wide open throttle, governor disconnected, wound out until it is about ready to blow on its own, then drop a water balloon down the intake. Just be sure to be standing where you won't get perforated by the scattering parts.
How about dropping it into a huge bucket of boiling oil while it's running?

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
I would be reluctant to guess which one would die first.
Well, off from the start the Generjunk is already dead

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 04-09-2017, 09:31:56 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
I want rig the Generac so it securely hangs from a tree on a chain. The electo-mechanical batting device will be 100% powered by my Onan 6.5NH and will be positioned so the cement filled pipe continuously beats the crap out of the Generac until nothing is left. I can stream the action live over the internet as I did for the Death Match. We can make friendly bets as to how long the Generac lasts until it is unrecognizable or maybe raise a few dollars to help Harry's administrative costs for this site as we did for the Death Match. Open to any and all ideas.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
I bet your neighbors love you!
The Following User Says Thank You to AppleTech For This Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 10:14:20 AM
Subscriber

JohnnyC- if u get the generjunk running i have a 2.2 onan that the Briggs threw a rod on. Have been looking for a 5HP tapered shaft motor but no luck yet.

The gen end is perfect, you just need the engine, yours for the taking for the death match, just need a engine. If not i will just keep hunting, really love that little gen, portable and made me gazillions when i was a builder, Ed.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:41:53 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidtrap View Post
JohnnyC- if u get the generjunk running i have a 2.2 onan that the Briggs threw a rod on. Have been looking for a 5HP tapered shaft motor but no luck yet.

The gen end is perfect, you just need the engine, yours for the taking for the death match, just need a engine. If not i will just keep hunting, really love that little gen, portable and made me gazillions when i was a builder, Ed.
Thanks! BTW - I replaced the spark plug on the Generjunk and it starts, but dies after 2 seconds. This happens consistently. It is not a fuel problem. Did a quick Google and this problem for Generjunks seem to be common. That's all the time I plan to spend on that p.o.s. today.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 01:04:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,958 Times in 1,451 Posts

Just kill it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEK4jCiZ4GY