Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

National Transit Engine

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 687 times

Old 09-09-2019, 04:58:15 PM
Registered

Default National Transit Engine

I have recently purchased a National Transit vertical 2 cycle engine. I have many questions, but I don't remember them all at the moment. I think the engine is mostly complete, it didn't come with the oil pumping unit or water hopper. Here's my questions.

1. Was there a factory water hopper that this engine had? Or should I just build one.
2. Can anyone help identify the year by the serial number?
3. 2 of the glass tubes in the oil pump were cracked/broken. What has anyone replaced these with? They are under pressure, because oil is pumped via every exhaust stroke.
4. Do I need a propane accumulator to run this? It is currently hooked right up to a regulator that will screw into a tank.
5. Who else has one of these? Anyone know how many were made?
6. I believe there should be some kind of packing/lining in the hot tube. Apparently they used to use asbestos. I wouldn't mind staying away from it.
7. If you have any other information on it, I would love to learn more.

Thank you!!
-Grant
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3782.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	343595   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3784.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	343596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3795.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	343597   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3796.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	343598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3783.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	343599  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grantschmieg For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2019, 06:53:55 PM

Thanked 6,810 Times in 4,327 Posts
Default Re: National Transit Engine

You could try and go to a good welding shop and see if they have some thin high temperature sheilding. looks like fibreglass but is more heat resistant. You dont have to have it for the hot tube to work, it keeps some of the heat off the chimney. As for the accunulater - you may get away without it, but the engine probably would run better with one. Basicly, an accumulater is a low pressure reservoir that can supply a large volume of low pressure gas quickly. Area wise, about the size of a 5 gallon bucket. What is the diameter of the gas inlet to the mixer on the engine?

As for the oiler glass - pyrex should work, the problem is finding the right length and diameter. you might try Lee pederson, a sponsor here on the stak, he has a lot of sources.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:14:30 AM
Subscriber

I have one of these....built like a BSH. On pix 1 on the left side where the patch is there should be threaded holes in the cylinder casting to mount a magneto like a Wico OC or L1. For the sight glasses, just measure OD and find some generic glass tubing on eBay or similar...cut to length. As far as I know these made in the late teens...someone correct me if this is in error. An accumulator would help; mine is about a quart sized. Cooling can be a simple thermo-syphon tank When you get this running be VERY careful not to have too much oil feeding it; it will actually atomize + burn in the cylinder and it will try to run away. PM me for a sales brochure I got graciously from the Drake Well museum staff and digitized.

Last edited by PaulGray; 09-10-2019 at 10:52:12 AM. Reason: mis-spell
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGray For This Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 06:51:25 AM
Subscriber

Nice engine Grant ! Now the fun starts.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:44:00 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,834 Times in 258 Posts

Mine is missing the oiler tank. Does anybody know of one that would be available? Paul Gray had some suggestions on making one but I haven't tackled it yet. Bill Klein