Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Shows and Swap Meets > Portland Indiana
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Portland Indiana Shows Swaps Announcements Discussions for the World's largest gas engine and tractor show.

Portland Indiana

Portland Show's Nazi Gestapo

this thread has 40 replies and has been viewed 5033 times

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 01:03:52 PM
Registered

Default Re: Portland Show's Nazi Gestapo

was hoping this would our family's first year going to Portland, but certainly don't need this
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2018, 01:05:47 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Neagley View Post
Thank you for posting your reply. It summarizes my viewpoint and experience. The very few times I drove my 1922 Chevrolet inside the Portland showgrounds, many people expressed their approval and enjoyment in getting to hear and see it driven. While driving it with the spark retarded and in 1st gear, it moves slower than a walking pace.
I do recognize and respect the show's rules though. There has to be parameters set for the safety of all attendees. I very much resent their methods of rudely abusing their authority while enforcing them. By the way, I was told these 2 women are not officials or directors. They are volunteers who have been given, and obviously have become addicted to, the opiate of authority!
It honestly strikes me as odd that a vintage truck would not be allowed to roam the less trafficked areas of the grounds during the show hours. After all, it is a working exhibit and would be at its best when in motion so people can experience it running and moving.

Maybe I'm just used to the treatment given to steam engines, which are allowed to roam certain areas at the shows and encouraged to do so that way people can see them in action instead of sitting idle in a row off to one side of the grounds.

Being required to have extra people aboard as spotters to watch for trouble along the route wouldn't be that bad of a compromise. I do similar with the steamer when taking the parade route, putting a couple of friends on with me to watch for hazards along the route and enjoy the ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to Odin For This Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 01:37:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,151 Times in 453 Posts

I drove out to Portland back in the 80s. Had a great time and loved it. I've always wanted to go back but now I'm thinking my time and dollars will be spent supporting our local shows
Old 07-31-2018, 02:38:13 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
. . . we had a similar experience at the Rock River show many years back and it left such a bad feeling that we've never returned. We camped where the director at the gate told us, and some supposedly high up member next door had a $hi+ fit and caused major confrontation!
Arguing/fighting over camping spaces is one of the most common problems I've seen at shows -- almost as bad as the fights you see around the boat ramps at the lake, lol.

I think I have said this in another thread, but there are only a handful of shows within an hour drive of our farm. Due to time and expense, I really don't care to haul stuff much further than that -- especially if we have to make more than one trip. If I let myself get so mad that I don't want to go back, it wouldn't be long before I didn't have any shows to go to.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:33:15 PM
Subscriber

I attended a new to me show this year. I wasn't sure what kind of display they would allow so I pulled up early with mine and asked if it fit there show and would they would like me to show it? The guy who runs the show said "We hold this show to make people smile. That fits. Can you put over there." He gets it. He knows what the people attending want and he knows how to treat those who show stuff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank DeWitt For This Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 03:44:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,049 Posts

I'd considered trying to make Portland some day, but now, I know I'm not going. I don't need to travel that far to be, or be around harassment.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:06:18 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,256 Times in 2,763 Posts

I always try to keep an open mind and realize that every one can have a bad day, But some seem to really abuse the right! As one fellow told us about the issues they had at their club, "There isn't any thing wrong with this show that a few good funerals couldn't cure!" Well I guess he was right as since the few "my way or the highway" guys passed on, things sure enough got much easier to get along!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:10:04 PM
Subscriber

I brought my Fordson F to a local show last year. It’s unrestored but original. The parking Nazi made me park on the asphalt near the tow rigs rather than with the stationary engines and shiny tractors. Once I was thoroughly boxed in the show director came running over as he had never seen a running Fordson (they’re fairly rare in Eastern Canada apparently). He was not happy with the parking dick but I couldn’t have got out. He assured me of a proper spot should I return next year. Unfortunately I had to work this year or I would have brought the tractor and some engines to add to the show. It really does take one jerk to ruin your day though.
The Following User Says Thank You to AngrySailor For This Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 07:21:19 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
"There isn't any thing wrong with this show that a few good funerals couldn't cure!"
Now that tickled my funny bone
Old 08-01-2018, 11:07:47 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,256 Times in 2,763 Posts

I know that that statement as it was told to me was in jest and not meant to be taken serious. But it makes one think, do we really want to be remembered like that after we pass? Hate to think that people will actually be glad of ones passing, I know of a few that really should think about how they treat others. Then maybe the funeral director won't be the only one to attend the funeral!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Closed Thread