Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Shows and Swap Meets > Portland Indiana
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Portland Indiana Shows Swaps Announcements Discussions for the World's largest gas engine and tractor show.

Portland Indiana

Portland Show's Nazi Gestapo

this thread has 40 replies and has been viewed 5038 times

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 05:01:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,737 Times in 2,260 Posts
Default Re: Portland Show's Nazi Gestapo

The behavior is typical of a volunteer that works an event. The authority and power goes to their head and they thrive on it.

Working at Road America for thirty years I encountered a few of this lunch box mentality give a grunt a long rope type. Paybacks are golden as they say and one particularly abrasive woman essentially in charge of nothing needed cooling down. On our staff was a very artistic doctor. We had him create a picture of her in Nazi regalia with the hand out salute barking one of her fave statements.

Invited her to one of our year end parties and did the presentation routine.
Yada yada,, she became an angel after that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2018, 04:13:22 AM
Subscriber

“Give a grunt a long rope”... I have to talk to a guy about this in the next few days when he returns to the ship. He’s not a Nazi by any means but he’s pretty full of himself since a promotion (which was circumstance rather than earned), it was my opinion that he wasn’t ready for the position but the position had to be filled. He was treating the Oiler poorly and assigning his own responsibilities to the Oiler. What he did do himself, I’ve had to do over. All the while strutting around with a cocky attitude. Noticeable change after being promoted.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:08:07 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
I know that that statement as it was told to me was in jest and not meant to be taken serious.
Of course it was in jest, anyone who would think different has a real issue. We had an old sour puss at our local show that let his "staff" vest go to his head but none of the directors wanted to deal with it (and who can blame them?) Don't know what happened to him but the show is indeed blessed that he no longer "helps"
Old 08-02-2018, 07:38:47 AM
Subscriber

Sorry to hear that you were treated so rudely John. Sometimes rude people need to be given the same treatment. I was at a local Wally World one time and it was very busy. They only had a half a dozen registers open and the lines were crazy long. When I finally got to the register, a young gal said to me sarcastically " I'm closed! It's time for my break!" I am usually mild mannered like you are John, but in some instances it's hard to keep one's cool. We argued about the issue for a few minutes and it was attracting the attention of a lot of customers, but I could see that I was not going to get anywhere with this loud rude sales clerk. I finally decided to just leave and not even make a purchase. As I was leaving, I said to the girl, in a loud enough voice so it could be heard by all watching, "What? $20.00?? Are you crazy! You think I'm going to give you $20.00 for sex, when I can go home and get it for free, I don't think so. I headed for the door and the look on everyone's faces as I walked by was priceless.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter Holmander For This Post:
Old 08-02-2018, 11:48:10 AM
Subscriber

Just follow the rules and have a good time.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:19:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 27,533 Times in 6,923 Posts

The good folks at Portland have had a running battle for years trying to corral all the butt buggies in the flea market area. They have done a pretty good job of organizing that, but there are always nincompoops who will defeat the system. By the size of the butts in some of the buggies, it might be wise for some of those folks to do some walking.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:41:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,931 Times in 366 Posts

and when the size of some the buggies are bigger than some cars on the road-----
Old 08-02-2018, 06:32:01 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,765 Posts

Well basically it simply requires a bit of common sense and courtesy by folks to not try to create a bad situation. Treat others the same as you like to be treated! So many issues could be avoided if the personel involved would simply ask and find out what you are trying to accomplish, then give directions. Jumping down some ones' throat without first knowing what's going on is always the short cut to problems!
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 08-03-2018, 09:34:30 AM
Registered-I

I started attending 2 years ago and will not be back to Portland. While walking the market area I came close to being run over/hit by people driving around in golf carts. They are so busy looking at the displays they are not paying attention to where they are driving. I seen one hit a display. They need to limit driving to only people who need it. There are just to many vehicles for the number of people walking the area.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willisd1 For This Post:
Old 08-03-2018, 10:19:47 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willisd1 View Post
I started attending 2 years ago and will not be back to Portland. While walking the market area I came close to being run over/hit by people driving around in golf carts. They are so busy looking at the displays they are not paying attention to where they are driving. I seen one hit a display. They need to limit driving to only people who need it. There are just to many vehicles for the number of people walking the area.
A responsible pedestrian is also a good thing as you have indicated. Too many times, I have had folks walk in front of me busy typing on their phones or looking over other people's shoulders or whatever. Look where you are going whether you are walking or operating a machine. It is just common sense.
Closed Thread