Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

new Chinese ST generator head

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 35011 times

Old 07-14-2007, 11:20:19 PM
Registered

Question new Chinese ST generator head

Hello all,

I've been looking at those 15kw Chinese ST generator heads that everyone seems to be bringing in. They look to be a pretty solid unit. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks,

keithw
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2007, 11:38:46 AM
PhilD

Default Re: new Chinese ST generator head

I have a 12kw ST head that I drive by belt with an 18hp Wisconsin THD engine. I believe all the St heads are pretty similar in make and style. I purchased mine through http://www.utterpower.com/ . The heads are typical Chinese quality with cheap included parts, assembly and finish. You will need to go through and replace the screws on the control wire terminations with quick connects or at least silicone/loctite them so the first time the head is run everything does not fall apart. I would suggest that you just take everything out of the doghouse and mount it elsewhere so the vibrations don't make everything fall apart. Replace the cheap lugs supplied for the power take off with some real lugs suited for the wire size you are using. It is your choice whether you want to clean and repack the bearings before use, I didn't and everything seems ok. Voltage regulation is not that bad on them for the way they are designed and they do have the mass. The heads are rated for continuous operation at the stated kw. and seem to have plenty of reserve.

PhilD
Old 07-16-2007, 06:12:08 PM
Registered

Here is an ST 5

http://www.putfile.com/dougwp/images/102508

Judge for your yourself buyer be ware and studdy up on what you want, ask informed questions about them to the vender. Be prepared to walk away from deals if the vender is vauge...

Doug
Old 07-16-2007, 08:16:43 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,900 Times in 3,217 Posts

Based on what I have seen, I would much rather have a (well) used "brand name" unit than a new ST generator. I have a Lima MAC that must be at least 30 years old and a 70's vintage Winpower that still perform as well as new.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:50:22 PM
Registered

ive got a 65 year old westinghouse still going strong! its 31kva and the size of a modern 500kw. i guess thats cause its an 8 pole unit.

i had what i thought was an st head, but it had some weird multitaped transformer for voltage regulation... though the frame was st style. im very wary of things made in china, as it seems the quality is lacking. i must say, they are massive and they have smooth bearings.. im curious about the electrical quality of them.. seems most of what you hear is sales talk from people selling them... i wish the chinese would put more time in the quality of their castings rather then use bondo and crappy blue paint to fix their short commings.

id rather keep the money in america anyway!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:52:43 PM
Registered

No bondo in mine.
Castings are crude but no problems.
Machining is acceptable and fits for housings and shafts are OK.

Weak points are the poorly made laminations ( probably punch from scraps ).
Insualtion classes mean niothing when you see organic materials like Bambo and mystery lacing.
Bad vibration and total lack of ballancing at the factory.
Open bearings with dirt and or bad grease ect ect ect.

I don't care who sells them, they should all be inspected
Old 07-16-2007, 11:51:06 PM
Registered

With all the generators sitting around waiting for rescue and the continuous supply of old military units, most of which are practically indestructable, I can't fathom the idea of buying a new unit knowing that the worst unit ever built here in the past has more higher quality materials (check the weight!) than any thing presently available and will be serviceable well into the next few decades . Exciters and regulators are the most common problems and with the new low cost replacements, (these parts are for the most part generic and fairly standard) almost any generator can be put back in service for under $500.00 and units with under 1,000 hrs. are very common. $3500 - $4000 will buy a lot more generator in an old Onan or Kohler than any new stuff and you can pass it down to the kids and grand-kids.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:12:17 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: new Chinese ST generator head

I would like to find a "period correct" generator head. Something from the 40's, but they aren't that common out here. If I do go with a new unit it can always be changed out later when I find something I like better.

Sounds like the China ones will need some sorting out. Kind of like their machine tools.

What I end up with isn't decided and I appreciate all the info. If someone does have around a 15kw old American head that is just begging to hook up with an Ajax oil field engine please let me know.

keithw