Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

2008 Milton Steam-Era show.....Labour Day weekend

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 3743 times

Old 08-22-2008, 11:08:12 AM
Registered

Smile 2008 Milton Steam-Era show.....Labour Day weekend

Hi folks.............just a reminder about the upcoming steam show in Milton this Labour Day weekend...........Not long now, a week today.......

Here's a link to the web site http://www.steam-era.com/

Lots to see and do over the weekend.

There will be a downtown parade through the main street of Milton on Saturday just after 12 noon. That's something in itself to see.....

The feature for the show this year is the 'Evolution of the gas tractor' and apparently there will be some unique and rare tractors at this years show.

I believe even the 'Mayor' of Alford Junction is planning to make an apperance once again, not sure if the Port Huron highwheeler will be there or not, but you'll have to come to the show and find out.

Hope to see lots of people there on the weekend.....
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2008, 11:11:13 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: 2008 Milton Steam-Era show.....Labour Day weekend

Forgot to post, but the dates for the show are August 29, 30, 31, & September 1st which is Labour Day here in Canada.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:05:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,985 Times in 2,458 Posts
Default Re: 2008 Milton Steam-Era show.....Labour Day weekend

i can not wait it should be a good weekend and hopefully the weather is good.john
Old 08-30-2008, 01:32:28 PM
Subscriber

Went to the Milton show today. Very disappointing in my opinion. A shadow of the great shows they had in the 1980's when my father and I would go every year.

Fair number of steam traction engines but many less working displays than other years. Hit and Miss engine section very sparse, several B&S collections. Lots of gas tractors though. Many more meccano models than steam models. Most sawing and threshing displays operated by gas tractors-not too interesting. There was a George White steam tractor working the sawmill at one point. A big crowd gathered, and the crew sawed two logs and then they all sat down. After twenty minutes the crowd got up and left.

Prices in the flea market were outrageous as usual.

One thing done really badly was the walkway boundary taping. The paths were very oddly laid out - some went nowhere, on many it was not clear what was the pedestrian side. I saw several near misses with people and vehicles because no one knew where to walk, particularly in the stationary engine section near the track.

Very few food vendors also.

It was definitely NOT worth $15.00 single adult one day admission PLUS $2.00 parking I was charged. (Later I found out I was overcharged but since the volunteer who had hosed me had left, I didn't get the amount corrected.)

Next weekend is the Blyth Ontario show. Last year it was absolutely great, far better in my opinion than Milton and $5.00 to get in plus free parking off grounds. They also had a working steam shovel that was worth the admission on its' own.

Cheers Jeff
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Dayman For This Post:
Old 08-30-2008, 02:04:43 PM
Subscriber

wow
Old 09-01-2008, 09:54:55 PM
Registered

Hey Jeff
Sorry to hear that the show wasn't as good as passed years.That show at one time use to be alot busier but i agree it has really slowed down and this is to bad!Tell you what take a trip to Forest show next year and you tell me at the end of the day if our show kept you busy walking around looking at all the activities that where going on out in the infield and in the buildings.I will be at Blyth show and would like to meet, look me up at my engine and intro yourself.My name is on the side of my 20 Sawyer.
See ya there: Jason
Old 09-02-2008, 10:36:17 AM
Registered

Hi Jeff,
Appreciate hearing the comments about the show and activities (or lack there of). I would be interested in chatting with you in Blyth about the walkway boundary paths, and their layouts.
I don't sit on the board of directors for the Milton show, but I'm chairman of the outside steam traction model engines. I'm always curious to know about how these shows worked or didn't.
Could you do me a favour? Would you be able to put these 'comments & suggestions' on paper, as I'd like to forward these to the show executive.

Come over to the outside steam traction model area (under the big pine tree near the track) in Blyth this weekend, and see me. I can tell you some of the 'inside information' about the Milton show.

Just ask for me if I'm not around as most there will know me, and know where I'm at.

Look forward to talking with you in Blyth.

Cheers!!!!

P.S. Thanks for your comments, as the shows need these to make better improvements for the following years.

And, you should have only been charged $6.00 per person per day.............plus the $2.00 for parking. Unfortunately the show cannot get enough people to look after the gates and security for the show. It's unfortunate you were overcharged, and should have gone directly to the gate office to have this corrected. These shows rely on our spectators and exhibitors, and this is something that should not occur at all.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:47:34 AM

Thanked 20,700 Times in 5,986 Posts

I don't want to turn this thread into something else but I HAVE to comment on the parking/gate charges.
Having been on our county Fair Association twice I can tell you there is NOTHING that ticks off people more than being charged TWICE.
Unless parking space is at a REAL premium......well....... .......and the word FREE sticks out like a sore thumb......
Old 09-02-2008, 02:14:48 PM
eMail NOT Working

Hi Every one!!!!!
Here are a few of the pictures at the show
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	milton 2008 032.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	38858   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton 2008 037.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	38859   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton 2008 003.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	38860   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton 2008 013.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	38861  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Searson For This Post:
Old 09-02-2008, 02:18:11 PM
eMail NOT Working

a few more....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	milton 2008 040.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	38862   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton 2008 053.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	38863   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton 2008 015.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	38864   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton 2008 009.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	38865  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tim Searson For This Post:
Old 09-02-2008, 02:21:17 PM
eMail NOT Working

last group . ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	milton 2008 056.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	38866   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton 2008 048.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	38867   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton 2008 033.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	38868   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton 2008 019.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	38869  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tim Searson For This Post:
Old 09-02-2008, 10:59:27 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,644 Times in 7,481 Posts

Not sure about all the issues that Mr. Dayman raises? I was there on Saturday but spent most of the day visiting old friends, or at least the people who would talk to me, but that is another story! I am not a member of the club so have no horse in this race. There did seem to be some activity with steam and tractors sawing, threshing, etc.. I would have thought all the SteamEra lurkers on here would have signed in and defended their favourite show by now?
See the Rollag 2008 thread for another way of doing things. The last time I was at Rollag, they got something like 18,000 people through there in one day! This in a strictly agricultural area. SteamEra had an opportunity some 10 plus years back to get a hand in on the Ag Museum just around the corner. That includes some 80 acres of grounds and a world class collection of historic equipment. I would think a serious group could have had the whole outfit for a minimal price to take it off the government's hand's?!!? I attended some of the meetings there at the time. There were few if any official delegations there from the Ontario steam/tractor/engine shows! I did overhear show people saying, close the place down and have an auction sale! That was the point where I was no longer interested in being a member of clubs.
A lot of effort is plowed into organizing and running the shows here. Little thought seems to be given to the diminishing inventory of historic items! Just this summer, we have lost several significant early tractors to out of Province buyers - Baker, Eagle, MH #2 (made in Toronto), MH 4WD (used for years at historic Maple Leaf Gardens), Sawyer-Massey ( gas and steam). And going back even 5 years or less, the list would be quite startling. Few people here seem to care and the clubs even less.
When the shows first started some 40-50 years back, there were people who had run this old stuff for a living and wanted to see it preserved and maintained. Now it is all about feeding and maintaining the shows and organizations. On some weekends, there are several major shows all within a reasonable driving distance of anyone in Southern Ontario. This is unsustainable in the long run.
Just a few thoughts to draw out some of the "lurkers"!
sincerely,
Rick Mannen.

Last edited by G Willikers; 09-02-2008 at 11:12:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 09-03-2008, 01:47:46 AM
Registered

Wow
Have to respond to J Daymond.

Just got home from finish with the last of cleanup at Steam-Era. Been there since last Tuesday. As Past President and a chairman I take considerable offence to your comments.

Steamers worked the mill most all weekend, Two never left the belts on their shingle mills, There was a real decent spark show (will post pics as soon as i figure out how again) Boundrys looked OK to me & the public who bring flea market stuff assign their own prices. (same as every other flea Market)

There were plenty of food vendors there, why i even saw Unkle G & G Willikers there & they only go where there is quality food & lots of it. (Sorry i didnt have any Shrimp G. ...next time i promise to put some in trailer fridge & we'll have to sit & have a cool one) Matter of fact George Jr & Matt on there 20 Sawyer probably put 50 miles on it & had grins a foot wide at the Steam engine skills demonstrations i announce each day. Know body in Ontario does this & it goes over extremely well. Next year it will be expanded.

Anyway the show was quite acceptable, the kids that lined up all day to ride the steam train and people mover towed with steam engines were not complaining nor were there parents. We had a great Mini Tractor Pull Friday night, Talent contest Saturday night, & very good band Sunday evening. Loads of steamed corn all evening. We are about the only show left in Ontario that still has a full threshing competition 3 days (with teams that stook, load, belt up & thresh there load in front of the grandstands on a stop watch.

If anyone can figure out how to attract 2nd & 3rd generation city dwellers from the suburbs to a historical show thats pretty much in the city now let me know. We need to talk.

PS..... J D.....check the trash for the blue band & i will send you 8 bucks out of my own pocket. (the sign with admission is very clear & 4ft square at the gates. I put them up) ?????? Hmmmm? Sure you didnt stop for a cool one or two on way to show?

OHHHHHH .....But last & most important and with the utmost sincerity a special thanks on behalf of the board to all our Members, Chairmen & women & volonteers who worked so hard all weekend, brought their equipment and treasures or just plain came to help & support dispite brutal fuel prices to travel & tow. We couldn't have done it without you. THANKYOU. Hope to see you all next year.

David Stirk

Now we need more pictures !!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Stirk For This Post:
Old 09-03-2008, 02:17:01 AM
Registered

Heres a few pictures.Hope i did it OK

Richard Moshers Waterloo belted beside Case portable from Ontario Steam Heritage Museum ( with brand new boiler)

People mover towed with 25 George White also from OSHM.

Live steamer pulling passengers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Case waterloo.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	38887   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008  OSAPA train.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	38888   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 OSAPA people mover.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	38889  
The Following User Says Thank You to David Stirk For This Post:
Old 09-03-2008, 07:49:52 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,644 Times in 7,481 Posts

David,
The sausage-on-a-bun at the "Kick-Ass Fries" wagon behind the steam engine area was excellent. Keep those folks another year! Even had a "Dr. Pepper" there - haven't had one of those in years!
Best wishes,
RM.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:31:23 AM
Edwin

Hello,sorry to hear you were over charged,i do agree this year was a little thin in the gas engine area,but over all it wasnt too bad.I have thought about a way to get the city slickers to come to the show and it came to me.Downtown Toronto theres a place called speakers corner,you put your dollar in and talk about any issue you have your anything you want to say, if someone who can explain the whole reason for the show how it started in a short time you may be able to get these people to leave the city.Theres a bunch of good talkers at the club maybe they would be interested in doing this you may bring a model of an engine.keep in mind this is recorded in a booth on the street so you cant really have a engine fired up right there but for one dollar it goes a long way in terms of speading the word on the Steam Era Show.I hope its still around for the 50th show.keep up the good work guys,the show will never again see the attenence numbers like it once had,those days are done and if you think it again will, i feel sorry for you.please let me know if you think this idea may work down at speakers corner on Queen Street.not trying to bash anyone here just the show needs a little more old engines and awhole lot less lawn tractors.thats kind of Fall fair stuff in my opinion.theres old stuff young people like to,you just got to get them out of the sheds and to the show.
thanks
Edwin
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 09-12-2008, 09:33:43 PM
Registered

First..thank you Tim for posting the picture of Dad's Beaver tractor...it took some convincing to drag this one out this year. Hard to believe that is a restoration that was last done in 1968...think it is time for a redo.

As one of the 3 gas engine chairs I must apologize for the poor showing this year. Do to the POLITICS of the club this year we were forced to leave the big oilfield engins at home. Also due to severe lack of space we didn't go out of our way to invite the engines we normally do. Hopefully a change will be made to our area next year. I did enjoy going back to my tractor roots this year and was the one enjoying the drives in my new 1919 Mack truck. I didn't get a chance to sit down that much.

Being from one of the founding families of this club, I am greatly saddened to watch the show deteriorate as it has in the last few years...Hopefully we can rally together and bring Steam-era back to where it was!!! We All need to get along better and stop the bickering that goes on between the steam/tractor/gas engine and car people. Maybe that is my problem because I seem to fit into all these catagories or at least try to and can't figure out what the problems between these groups are

Sharon
Old 09-12-2008, 10:14:14 PM

Thanked 20,700 Times in 5,986 Posts

Having founded a club and served as its president for over 14 years AFTER everything was organized and winding up not even exhibiting at my own show in its 19th year I can tell you there is only one way to avoid the politics and bickering:
OWN THE SHOW

THAT is the ONLY WAY things MIGHT go the way you would like them to go.......

Short of that, tranquilizers and a gag are REALLY helpful.......
Old 09-13-2008, 07:12:40 AM
Registered

Location: 1851 6th. Conc. North, R. R. Stayner, Ontario Canada, L0M 1S0

Politics can ruin a good bowl of soup. Put more simply. it can ruin one's appetite, or in this case their desire to participate, or even attend.

Robert
The Following User Says Thank You to Sawyer-Massey 11-22 For This Post:
Old 09-13-2008, 10:12:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,053 Posts

This is very interesting, can someone tell us more about it?

I wish they would have pulled the people movers with steam engines at the shows I went to as a child, I would have taken the front seat and not moved (except for lunch!) until they gave me the boot!!!

Thank you,

Jeff Smith