Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Military gen info & manuals

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 7340 times

Old 12-08-2005, 02:52:25 PM
Registered-I

Default Military gen info & manuals

I just bought a military 15 KW generator. Runs great, doesn't generate yet. Instructions posted on machine say to flip field lash switch, then overvoltage reset switch first. I get a spike on the freq meter when I flip the field lash switch, then it drops back off. What could be causing this?
Also, I need to order a manual for it. The TM # listed for it is only a standard manual for generator hookups and such . The NSN# is 6115-00-922-8690. Is this the number I need to order by, or is there something else I need?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2005, 10:55:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,218 Posts
Default Re: Military gen info & manuals

A bad voltage regulator could be causing the symptom you describe.

Is this a MEP-004?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:36:47 PM
Registered-III

We need complete descriptive info. and a few pix would help also.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:09:25 AM
Registered-I

I don't know if it's a MEP-004 or not. There is no MEP # listed on any tags on it.It's a Bogue Electric model SF-15-MD,15KW/12.5KW 3 phase or single phase.Hercules 198 diesel. I tried the NTIS and they could find no info on it. I'm going to try and contact Bogue Electric tomorrow and see if they have a schematic for it.I'm going to try to attach a photo or two.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:20:52 PM
Registered-II

You might pursue the old fsn 6115-317-4919 Generator Set 15kw, DED. Which was part of the M200A1 trailer/generating set PU-402/M which might be described in DA PAM 310-4, All of the other generators in this series have the generator described as SF 3.0 MD, SF 5.0 MD, SF 10 MD, the number indicating the kw rating. My data is from May 1966. The fsn on the generator proper in it's self might be misleading for identification because it could be used on several different MEP's. RICH
Old 12-09-2005, 11:38:52 PM
Registered-III

I have one just like yours. It uses a magnetic amplifier type exciter. If you close the field flash switch and the voltage goes up to around 300 then trips on overvoltage, the regulator board is bad or something in the magamp circuit is open. It is easy to make work without the regulator board and I will get back to you if you would like. Does your regulator look like the attached?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00001A.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	5482  
Old 12-11-2005, 09:53:41 PM
Registered-I

I haven't been able to look at it at all since Thursday, which wasn't very long. I didn't see a voltage regulator on it yet. When I ran it previously, I didn't see any voltage come up when I flipped the field lash, just the hertz jumped up. I am building a new fuel tank for it now as the belly tank is rusty, so won't start it until I can get clean fuel on it. Where is the regulator located on this model?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:39:20 AM
Registered-III

It's under the top cover on the left. Hold the field flash switch on for a few seconds with the engine at full speed (1800). This should produce over 50 volts because it supplies engine starting battery power to the field (through a resistor). Also if you have the Westinghouse precision electro-hydraulic governor it will not take over til around 80 volts. This unit has a small 1 gallon or so day-tank located beside the injection pump. This tank has a float operated switch in it which will shut down (and keep from running) unless the tank is over half full. This prevents it from running completely out of fuel which requires a lot of pain in the butt to get it running again. I would leave it there, and it won't run without it unless you somehow bypass the shutdown. It shuts off power to the run solenoid in the Rosa pump. There should be a complete electrical schematic under the right engine doors, and a complete terminal connection diagram under the left set of engine doors.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:30:26 PM
Registered-I

I found the regulator this morning , it's the same regulator you pictured. I'm going to put clean fuel on it tomorrow and run it again. When I tried it before, I did not have it up to RPM, electric governor control would not take hold either, so if I try it as you detailed, it may all work.
I have the connection diagram, but have no schematic diagram. WOuld it be possible for you to photograph it for me? I contacted Bogue Electric this morning, they have no info on it anymore.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:47:41 AM
Registered-III

It may take me a while but I'll try and get some pictures. Its a black stencil and the lighting may take some doing to be clear. We should do this by direct E-mail so we don't bore everyone and tie up the board.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:57:01 PM
Registered

I think my dad has this gen and has a tm for it please call him terry 518 677 5466
Old 03-21-2007, 09:22:10 PM
Registered-I

I know this is an old post but i have this genset also.
Manual is TM-5-6115-345-35
The problem you describe sounds similar to what mine was doing.
The voltage adj pot was open and several other transistors in the voltage reg and governor unit were shorted.
Easy fix after i found the problem.
e mail me if you need schematics--- daleearnhardtjr at comcast dot net
Old 03-25-2007, 05:05:44 PM
Registered-II

Hi Guys

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread here, but I have kato military generator end that doesn't appear to have a voltage regulator. I am trying to locate one or see if one can be made. Is there another regulator that can be used? Here is a link to some pics of it for FYI. Thanks BTW I have been trying to contact KATO but they aren't responding.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:07:00 PM
Registered-II

OOPS! I forgot the link. Here it is.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36393