Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Twin City 27-44 Restoration Started

this thread has 167 replies and has been viewed 42800 times

Old 10-19-2009, 01:04:16 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Twin City 27-44 Restoration Started

Thanks for the update Tony. That's going to be one bad-a$$ tractor when you finish it. Heck, it already is!

The old Twin-Disc clutches are a good example of the weird paradoxes you see in early tractor development. The clutch itself was great but why did the engineers always spec a single key on the shaft to drive it rather than a spline? I've seen this on several makes of tractors. That single key idea never did work very well. It took them a few years to figure that one out too.

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant Weir For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2009, 10:00:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,025 Times in 1,313 Posts

Back again,
For big and little twin cam owners that have a lot of slack or play in the steering, once king pins, tie rods, or any sources of worn out parts have been fixed sometimes additional gains can be made by adjusting the steering gear plug located on bottom of gear.
Look at first photo of steering gear. Near bottom, outside area of gear there is a slotted set screw head threaded in the case. Loosen this set screw so you can turn big bottom plug in after you have positioned steering wheel in the "middle" of the slack or play area. Thread plug in gently untill you feel resistance, then try moving wheel back and forth again and see if you can gain more on the plug.
In worn gears, sometimes the bottom plug will begin to thread too far up into steering gear exposing some of the large threaded hole in gear case. If this is happening, the plug must be removed and a machinery washer or two can be placed on end of plug to make up for the end of the plug being worn off. Try adjusting again. Do not tighten tight, you just need to take the space or slack away.
These steering gears are lubed by a high level, or spill over hole in the side of main case. If the tractors get run to low on rear end grease for to long, the gear can starve for lube. if gear oil is up to filler plug, or full, the gear will be full also. If you must pull large bottom plug from gear, jack front of the tractor up six or eight inches to send lube to back of tractor and stop it from passing into gear and out onto floor while you have the plug out.

Second photo shows top cover removed to inspect final drive.
With tractor on blocks, everything was turned slowly and check out under bright light. I got no latteral movement by prying on the rather huge bull gear and some time was spent fishing around the bottom of rear end with an extendable magnet. No metal shavings or parts were found

Third photo shows top cover being fixed. This tractor sat outside for many years. I think this top cover was layered with rotting leaves because it suffered severe pitting, (the fenders & hood were completely rotted away).
Cover was blasted, perforations from the worst pits were welded shut. Rust treatment was applied and a skim coat of bondo was used to smooth things up a bit.

Fourth photo....The shifting quadrant had a chunk broken off and handle and fork pins were butchered by a former operator.
With these repairs completed, the top cover is back on for good

More to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0633.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	65243   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0468.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	65244   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0465.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	65245   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0515.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	65246  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 07:03:11 PM
Subscriber

More progress,
My good friend and fellow Twin City enthusiast Jim Anderson and I worked on and off for many months creating exact reproductions of the correct/original canopies for our 27-44's.
Here are some pictures of the test fit along with some reproduction fenders and new platform wood.
The whole works will come back off again to cover all sides of components with battleship gray now that everything has been fitted.
I have galvanized "ripple" tin for the roof also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM0512.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	65312   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0513.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	65313   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0516.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	65314   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0519.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	65315  

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 11:02:49 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,116 Posts

Looks great Tony. I like the look of a canopy on these tractors. What size angle is used for the main frame?? Looks to be about 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 X 3/16.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:04:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,210 Times in 181 Posts

Looking good Tony! Thanks for the pictures.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:53:12 PM
Subscriber

Phil,
The angle iron is 2 inch.
You have expressed intrest in correct details of this project in Jim's Canopy thread (Jim has a correct 17-28 canopy repo as well).
You are welcome to contact us for detail questions in the future, or better yet stop in here for lunch and have a look for yourself
Jim and I started this whole canopy thing out of wanting one and realizing that several of the current existing examples are not correct. The one that passed through George Shaffs auction and the one at Bridgeport auction in the last couple years were well done, but not correct.

Jim and I had a grand adventure with this quest....
Lenghty road trip to document original...
Many hours recording details...
Jim purchased a 40 ton press for this project!...
Have you ever tried to bend angle iron?...

Personally, I would prefer not to go through this again,
but I could not have had a better partner to do it with
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 10-22-2009, 12:21:19 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,116 Posts

Thanks, Tony. You and Jim have done a very admirable job on the fabrication of those canopies. I'm impressed with your fabrication skills and yes, I have bent a fair bit of angle iron and channel section. I'm a steel fabricator and welder. Its easier if you have access to proper benders and rolls, but in many cases it can be done with simple jigs, a large torch and a lot of leverage!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil Johnson For This Post:
Old 10-24-2009, 03:15:37 PM
Registered-II

Hey Tony, Like the update on the 2744, nice to see it coming along. I had talked with you a little about it at the Dotzenrod auction. Looking forward to starting work on mine and need to locate a lifter. Also looking for cleat lugs, my insde row is missing on each wheel. Any help will be appreiated. That way I can start busting knuckles and cursing.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:16:24 AM
Subscriber

Somethings take time.
After 6 months of soaking and trying to pull the rear wheel it was time to try something else. Pulled the axle with the wheel and put it in the press. Or should I say put the press in the wheel? The axle pressed out with about 24 tons of pressure. Now the 27-44 is wearing a set of the 28 inch wide road king wheels.

Name:	Axel Press-1.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	72710Click image for larger version

Name:	New Wheels.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	72711
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Anderson For This Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 04:27:37 PM
Subscriber

(Here is a tip for people looking for new oilers.)
The No. 3 Bowen Oilers that are used to oil the rocker arm shafts on these Twin Cities can still be bought new. The Twin City parts book has them listed as part number TW2414. The 2'nd picture shows an old one and a new one.

Name:	Bowen Oiler.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	72728Click image for larger version

Name:	Old & New Oiler.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	72729
Henry Ford used them on his brass era Model T's for the drag rod clevis so some reproduction supply chains carry them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Anderson For This Post: