Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Twin City 27-44 Restoration Started

this thread has 167 replies and has been viewed 41550 times

Old 10-10-2012, 10:24:01 AM
Registered

Default Re: Twin City 27-44 Restoration Started

Tony,
I like reading ALL your posts and hope to contribute someday when MY project gets rolling along this winter. I've been a bit behind my projections but you make me want to get on the ball after seeing your 20-35 in A.P mag. (which I ordered yesterday). MOTIVATION is good. Thanks again. I still need front wheels for my 27-44 and a 2" Holley or 1-1/2" Wheeler Schebler carb and a DU4 orZR4 mag. as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 11:31:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,375 Times in 2,049 Posts

I saw a 27-44 have one head broken just to remove the center exhaust casting. There was rust around the head studs so it would not come off freely. I felt bad in seeing this. Now I see you saying they're pricey!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,022 Times in 1,293 Posts

[QUOTE=Brasherman; Hi tops make horsepower! Are these the ones we have been hearing in the videos or did you just fit them recently?

Brasherman,
The pistons were fitted when the engine was completely rebuilt during the 3 year resto that this thread details. I have finally run it enough to feel that the rings are seated and it cranks over with about the same effort as my hi compression 20-35 does. Crunching the numbers told us that the compression ratio went up about 2 points from around 3 1/2 or 4 to 1 to around 5 1/2 or 6 to 1. In the videos I was loafing along with the the six bottom at 800 RPM...it really sounded off when the dyno forced it to belt out 58 HP

DpJ51,
Thanks for kind words!
A Holley would not be correct for your 27-44...you may not like trying to get one to work either. The Wheeler Schebler shows up occasionally and is a good unit that would be correct on your machine. Front steel may take time, but do not give up and something will work for you! The mags are plentifull and can be found at swaps and auctions. You need one that turns counter-clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Oilpulled,
Parts for the low production Twin City 20-35 and 27-44 are very hard to find and buy! A bare cylinder head that has been cooked, magged and bagged will fetch $1,000 each if you can even find one. I know a collector that paid $1,500 for a big twin cam head. High comp. heads were not known to be available to me when I restored my tractor or I would have paid a hefty asking price for them I am sure.

I do know where a head is now if someone needs one

Since I could not come down from the top...I came up from the bottom (custom aluminum "pop-up" pistons).
Good luck on your projects everyone!
Tony
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 10-21-2012, 09:43:11 PM
Registered-I

Thanks for the kind words Tony. I'm glad you enjoy my work
The Following User Says Thank You to Cory Engines For This Post:
Old 01-04-2014, 05:15:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 12,596 Times in 668 Posts

I was looking through some old pictures today and found this one from long ago. Harriet's brother owned the tractor back then and I did some work on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	183966  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allan Severson For This Post:
Old 01-05-2014, 11:30:21 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,071 Times in 320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Thompson View Post

Oilpulled,
Parts for the low production Twin City 20-35 and 27-44 are very hard to find and buy! A bare cylinder head that has been cooked, magged and bagged will fetch $1,000 each if you can even find one. I know a collector that paid $1,500 for a big twin cam head. High comp. heads were not known to be available to me when I restored my tractor or I would have paid a hefty asking price for them I am sure.

Tony

I know where there are a pair of good 27-44 heads that could be bought, several other 27-44 parts too. In a building about 50 yards from where I am setting now.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:56:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,022 Times in 1,293 Posts

Allen,
That is exactly what it looked like when I purchased it from the next owner after your brother-in-law owned it.
I had to strip off the lugs to facillitate hauling and many of them were missing anyway. In post #1 of this thread it is sitting in my driveway and is obviously the same tractor. It is even photographed from the same angle!
The tractor changed hands several times after being dragged from the spot were it was abandon many years ago. The price kept going up with each new owner, but it was merely moved from shed to shed for gains in cash because it needed a lenghthy and pricey resto to be a good tractor again...not something everyone wishes to take on I suppose (there were several days during the restoration that I began to think they were the smart ones)
Thanks for the photo from the past,
All correspondance from you and Harriet has been most enjoyable!

Gleaner,
If you have parts for sale at home your quest for cash may be better satisfied in the classifieds than on someone elses thread.

For folks wanting to purchase heads for these grand old machines, I urge you to do some homework first!
There were five different heads made for the big twin cam engines. Part numbers are on topside of head and must be matched to each other and pairs need to match your intended application or you may not be happy with performance of your engine on todays gasoline. A few of the last heads offered for the 641ci. engine was a "semi hemispherical" or "canted" valve design with only two valves per cylinder rather than four!
Sellers should have $1,000 dollar heads cooked and magnafluxed to make sure buying public is first satisfied, second, a new friend, and third enjoying the hobby without compications of purchasing cracked junk.
Good luck on your projects everyone!
Tony
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 06-11-2016, 10:21:31 PM
Registered

I found a 27-44 sitting in the back of shed for last 30 years. Think I have it bought but might be a year or two before he gets dug back to it. Would post a pic but have no idea how. It has the angle iron going across rims instead of lugs. Will go nice with our 25-45 when restored
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	256004  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bedollis07 For This Post: