Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Honda EU7000 Overload

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 572 times

Old 06-25-2017, 03:23:59 PM
Registered-I

Default Honda EU7000 Overload

Hello,

Can running the generator in high temps cause an artificial "overload" alarm?

My transfer switch meter shows one leg of my generator is using between 1500-2000 watts. Everything started up fine and ran for over an hour (at least). At some point all of the power outputted by the generator stopped and the overload light was lit. Although I am testing a portable AC unit on this leg, I can't see how I exceeded 2500W.

It's in the mid 90s right now with with a heat index just above 100F.

Thanks

Bill
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2017, 07:14:16 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Honda EU7000 Overload

Do you suppose the A/C short cycled? Some A/C that run at 2000 w would hit 8000 to 9000 on start up and if short cycled would pull start watts for 5 to 7 seconds. Also have you checked A/C on utility line since problem, it is possible the A/C developed compressor problem when your back was turned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Karrow For This Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 07:15:29 PM
Registered-I

Put a Kill-A-Watt meter in the see what that portable AC is drawing.
then use a clamp on amp meter and see if you can catch the surge amps when the compressor kicks in.

What are the locked rotor amps of the AC?
High temperatures will cause the AC unit to get closer to the locked rotor current.

Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Romas For This Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 07:58:46 PM
Registered-I

Both great suggestions. Thanks. I recall someone else with thousands of hours on their EU7000 mentioning the outside temp could have some negative effect but I can't remember.

The unit is one of those portable systems on wheels. Whynter does not publish the locked rotor current as far as I can find so far.

The best I have is: 1040 W / 9.5 A for so called maximum power input. It's a 115V power supply.

I wasn't running the kill-a-watt at the time (but will do next time) but in the past it never exceeded the ~1000 W advertised even when the compressor kicked in.

At 1-2 hours into my test, it is possible the A/C unit short cycled. I was trying to avoid that by cranking the thermo down very low so the compressor would just stay on constantly. (I wanted to burn some fuel and have had a hard time generating a big enough load during my monthly tests to do so.)

I forgot that I have some unknowns on this leg of the generator. My home has some type of sewage pump even though I have city sewer. That pump and some type of pump alarm system each have their own 20A and 15A breakers, respectively. It was installed long before I ever moved in and have no idea on the make/model.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:14:23 PM
Registered-I

I figured out that the overload was truly because I overloaded it and not due to some other issue (like extreme outdoor temps).

My low pressure sewer pump starts with a 2200W inrush and then settles down to 900W and runs for 10 seconds. I could trigger it every 5 minutes with the kitchen water running. That could be about every 10 gallons.

The refrigerator is also on that leg of the generator although so far I can't get the iMonitor LCD to show anything except 0VA.

Back to the drawing board. I can't have all of these motors randomly cycling on the same leg of the generator output.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:26:22 PM
Registered-I

Bill.

Glad you figured out the problem and it's NOT your generator

Joe