Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Honda's New EU7000 Fuel Injected Generator

this thread has 430 replies and has been viewed 103773 times

Old 05-30-2017, 02:39:13 PM
Registered

Default Re: Honda's new EU7000 Fuel Injected Generator

hey Robert,

so, it's mounted to the rear tailgate. enclosed from the elements when not running, when running the front and rear of enclosure are fully opened to allow unrestricted airflow though. also, the top of the enclosure is vented to keep an heat from building up. so, it's the equivalent of rolling it out when used. the wheel kit is off but, it is mounted to expanded steel grating so air flows from below as well.

it runs a variety of equipment (refrigerator, espresso machine, toaster) but loads are strictly monitored my me always, never exceeding 5200 watts very briefly, most of the the it hovers at about 1800 watts.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2017, 02:12:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,422 Posts

Please post some pictures of your installation. Maybe we can see something tech's missed.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:30:09 AM
Registered

Any update to the issue orionpaxx? I'm dealing with the same issue, expect I paid for a new GCU out of pocket and its doing the same exact thing!! All I have is a boat anchor at this point
Old 12-03-2017, 08:37:00 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionpaxx View Post
well, it's been in the shop for about a month and a half. shop says they are waiting for approval for a warranty claim on the GCU......... I'll post when resolved.
Have you found the cause of the no start yet?
Old 12-03-2017, 08:52:06 PM
Registered

Hey, so, the GCU replacement fixed it. It was in the shop for almost two months and took a call from me to Honda directly to get it back... Iím convinced that there isnít nearly enough protection on the GCU. I took the unit apart before bringing it in and inspected the GCU. It was filthy and covered in carbon and dust and buildup. The GCU sits in a location where the airflow comes in through the front of the unit and is pulled across the circuit boards. The boards have no protection at all. I have a few different inverter generators from other much cheaper companies and EVERY GCU in those units is epoxy sealed and 100% protected from weather and elements.... WHY wouldnít Honda do this to there GCU? Especially if itís not serviceable and is replaced every time it acts up? Seems like this very simple step would save Honda thousands and thousands of dollars. Also, saving out of warranty customers $800 every time the GCU blows... I have seen this problem at least 6 times now with local operators and the repair shops here donít even want to service this issue any more because Honda warranty dept is giving them all a very hard time appearently. I would seal the boards myself but unfortunately there are some air pressure and temp sensors that would be too hard for me to work around. Good luck, anyone else want to chime in about these issues?
Old 12-09-2017, 07:15:20 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionpaxx View Post
Hey, so, the GCU replacement fixed it. It was in the shop for almost two months and took a call from me to Honda directly to get it back... Iím convinced that there isnít nearly enough protection on the GCU. I took the unit apart before bringing it in and inspected the GCU. It was filthy and covered in carbon and dust and buildup. The GCU sits in a location where the airflow comes in through the front of the unit and is pulled across the circuit boards. The boards have no protection at all. I have a few different inverter generators from other much cheaper companies and EVERY GCU in those units is epoxy sealed and 100% protected from weather and elements.... WHY wouldnít Honda do this to there GCU? Especially if itís not serviceable and is replaced every time it acts up? Seems like this very simple step would save Honda thousands and thousands of dollars. Also, saving out of warranty customers $800 every time the GCU blows... I have seen this problem at least 6 times now with local operators and the repair shops here donít even want to service this issue any more because Honda warranty dept is giving them all a very hard time appearently. I would seal the boards myself but unfortunately there are some air pressure and temp sensors that would be too hard for me to work around. Good luck, anyone else want to chime in about these issues?
I would be angry too if I kept having problems with the GCU. If you read Honda's reviews on their Honda power webpage there are A LOT of them running hard down in Puerto Rico. Its going to be interesting to read if they have problems too. From what I've read so far the EU7000 have been doing very well down there in the heat.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:48:20 AM
Registered

I havenít visited this forum in a long time, but was motivated to stop in and see what experiences people have been having with their generators. Orionpaxx, sorry to hear of your ordeal - a GCU failure is a harsh problem to have.

My EU7000 has accumulated only 25 hours so far. Itís a dedicated backup generator, so it gets run for exercise or oil change just a few times a year. It lives inside a small barn at the back of my property, and is connected to the house through heavy underground wires. I added a GenConnex hard-wired remote start switch and an Evergreen exhaust kit to carry the exhaust outdoors.

So far, the setup works just fine as long as I am vigilant about battery condition and about keeping mice away.

Last year, following a short test run, I noticed a few unexpected wisps of grass in the cooling air exits. Hmmm. Investigation was needed. Glad I did - turns out the inner chambers were packed with mouse nests. The space between the muffler and its shroud was stuffed. There were no adult mice to be seen, but they abandoned a family of hours-old babies in the crankcase area. It took a lot of cleanup. There was no external evidence of the mice. Had I not noticed the bits of grass, blown outward by cooling air, the mice could have gone undetected for a long time.

I mention the mouse situation for this reason: the nests were all in places where noise-suppression features created secure spaces for mice. An ordinary, cheap generator doesnít have all the wrapping around the crankcase and muffler; mice are usually only found around the cylinder head cooling fins and such. The superb quietness of the Honda increases its rodent vulnerability. Now, I store the generator with the cabinet doors open and the muffler and engine shrouds removed. Itís a poor state of readiness for standby equipment, but it discourages mice somewhat. They still get in and look around - youíd have to run it every single day to keep them driven off.

Anyone else dealing with mice?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:08:39 AM
Registered-III

I built a tight box around my EU6500 for just that reason. So far, it seems to be mouse proof. Time will tell.

In other places, I set lots of traps. Iíve also had success with peppermint oil, though it is not foolproof.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:19:39 AM
Registered-I

I keep all my generators in the garage with the tight Honda elastic cover's. So far so good.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:22:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,742 Times in 1,996 Posts

I have the same mouse problem in my shed, usually with the lawn tractors or mowers. I drive the mower out of the shed, then open the hood and look for grass clippings in the cooling air exits. Any grass clippings visible means I need to pull the tin work off the engine and clean up the mouse nest. Once a mouse makes a nest inside the engine, it leaves a scent trail and other mice will soon take up residence after the nest has been removed. I live in a rural area and field mice are a fact of life. There are probably thousands of them nearby. I use standard traps and glue traps, but somehow a few mice seem to miss the traps and go for the engine. They may not find it for years, but then all of a sudden the engine cooling passages are filled with a mouse nest. I have tried dryer sheets, peppermint oil, and pepper oil with poor results.

The only way I have successfully kept mice out of an outside generator is to build a box out of 1/4" hardware cloth screening and a metal frame.