Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Honda's new EU7000 Fuel Injected Generator

this thread has 395 replies and has been viewed 99544 times

Old 05-05-2017, 09:25:14 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Honda's new EU7000 Fuel Injected Generator

No spark makes me think a short, in something like the low oil system. Or a bad ground, maybe for the ECU.

But isn't this under warranty? They shouldgive you a loaner, while they fix or replace yours.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2017, 10:24:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,197 Times in 1,811 Posts

Sitting back and watching this thread I'm going to take a different approach in a different light. Oboy rant forthcoming.........
I have a history of selling and servicing Honda products and proudly waving the flag of the best manufacturer in the world for thirteen years. Several trips to Japan on the dealer groups and marketing focus groups notwithstanding. Yada yada yawn who cares about the past.

I'll surely get burned on this forum but taking into consideration many factors from marketing through design, manufacturing, sales and service, and simple observation here's how it really is. Yes the marketplace needs reliable equipment championed by a design leader and this commands a higher price. Honda has adapted to in it's philosophy which logically can be sold on it's merits. Mondo kudos apply here.

Plain and simple, Honda in the last twenty years has morphed into producing the most over engineered computerized junk on the market. Net result? High price, and difficult to service. After a few meager years the costs to maintain a unit can dictate replacing it. The rest of industry follows Honda's lead.

But damn they're so efficient and cleverly packaged. Then they puke $$$.

Flame suit on.

Last edited by I like oldstuff; 05-06-2017 at 07:10:51 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 02:45:17 PM
Registered

I whole heartedly agree! I bought the Honda because I wanted the "best" I could get, I wanted a generator that wouldn't let me down. in 2 years of ownership it's been in the shop for a total of 2 months. I only bring it to highly rated Honda repair shops and each time, they haven't been able to solve the problem without consulting Honda over the phone. this time, they cannot solve yet... the first time I was told I was overloading it, which I was %100 not doing, I have a wattage readout inside where I obsessively watch my power usage. I can't believe the trouble I've had. the shop is clearly aggrivated that this problem can't be resolved, even following the service manual to the letter. so, $4000 is sitting at the shop not helping me out. Clearly over computerized and over complicated...
Old 05-06-2017, 03:11:26 PM
Email NOT Working

I have had my share of work on inverter sets.

My take on them is the only hope for them to work reliably is to make them 100% bulletproof out of the gate.

There is just no way average Joe generator technician (or Honda shop guy who also works on snow blowers, Goldwings, etc.) is going to be able to invest the time and money for training and parts support for something this complicated and specialized that he might see one of a year, or even two in his career.

There is just no economic way to repair something of this nature without the resources of the manufacturer to back it up.

Let the buyer beware. I'm still a huge fan of Honda, and wish that more people would buy them instead of the $299 clone at a big box store.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 04:10:33 PM
Registered

it looks like the solution would be to epoxy seal the GCU and just make it an easy swap out when it fails. the shop it's at now is swearing up and down about these units, this is the second one this season that's giving them way too much trouble... are there updated service bulletins available (Robert)? just curious.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:01:09 PM
Subscriber

Having been in the business for a long time a while ago and understanding Japanese philosophy in manufacturing, the development and presentation of new products is predicated by one simple tenet. One upmanship.

Honda will design and release a new generation of products to show the competition that they're #1. A competitor comes up with a new circuit or say a transmission control for a car, a handlebar for a bike etc., Honda responds with one more advanced. Unfortunately the time between discovering a competitors new product and releasing the countermeasure is very short.

The result sometimes is a half baked idea that only the top level engineers can understand and remediate when it fails. The cure is then a 70% band aid that carries the big price of the engineering and manufacturing burden.

Nothing has changed in thirty years with them. 6-8 years down the road we look at a nicely waxed pristine generator with 18 hours on it that needs a $1200 part that somehow let the magic smoke out and has discreet devices made of Chinesium and unobtanium much less being NLA.

I'd rather buy a Honda gen or bike in favor of other brands. But economics being pure logic, if I was to buy a new 3600 rpm screamer maybe I'd buy two or three Big box Chinese units for the same price as a Honda. Then open the next box when the first one goes up in smoke and still be ahead in the $ game. Owait,, a lot of Hondas are now Chin made...

Last edited by I like oldstuff; 05-06-2017 at 10:21:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 06:56:35 PM
Registered

well, it's been in the shop for about a month and a half. shop says they are waiting for approval for a warranty claim on the GCU... absolutely ridiculous situation. I put in a call to Honda today because the shop said "they hope to hear back in a week or so" about claim approval. Honda Rep was incredibly friendly and is opening a claim to get this resolved. hopefully something happens soon. I don't mean to post so often about this but, I want people to consider all possibilities before spending $4000+ expecting no problems and quick warranty service. this will be second GCU and a total of 3 months in the shop during 2 years ownership. and I treat my machines well, maintained better then recommendations. I'll post when resolved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orionpaxx For This Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 09:30:07 PM
Subscriber

^ I know what I'd do.
Sell the overengineered underbuilt turd and buy a 30 year old Onan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 11:30:51 PM
Email NOT Working

For the most part the 1000-6500 watt inverter units were extremely reliable, but maybe the 7000 is having teething problems.

Keep in mind most dealers are just regular guys like you and me. They are probably just as baffled.

Only difference is they have the ability to talk to someone at the factory and get authorization to spend the time and money swapping parts at corporate expense. Corporate does not care too much about the money because it is one out of thousands to them, but they maybe don't care enough to help the dealership out either. We may never know the reason this is taking so long.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:36:56 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionpaxx View Post
are there updated service bulletins available (Robert)? just curious.

There are no service bulletins related to the GCU.

Tell us how you use the generator to run your food truck. Is it mounted to the frame or inside an enclosure, or do you roll it on / off each time?
- - -
Robert@Honda
Social Media Consigliere
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:39:13 PM
Registered

hey Robert,

so, it's mounted to the rear tailgate. enclosed from the elements when not running, when running the front and rear of enclosure are fully opened to allow unrestricted airflow though. also, the top of the enclosure is vented to keep an heat from building up. so, it's the equivalent of rolling it out when used. the wheel kit is off but, it is mounted to expanded steel grating so air flows from below as well.

it runs a variety of equipment (refrigerator, espresso machine, toaster) but loads are strictly monitored my me always, never exceeding 5200 watts very briefly, most of the the it hovers at about 1800 watts.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:12:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,357 Posts

Please post some pictures of your installation. Maybe we can see something tech's missed.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:30:09 AM
Registered

Any update to the issue orionpaxx? I'm dealing with the same issue, expect I paid for a new GCU out of pocket and its doing the same exact thing!! All I have is a boat anchor at this point
Old 12-03-2017, 08:37:00 PM
Registered

Quote:
well, it's been in the shop for about a month and a half. shop says they are waiting for approval for a warranty claim on the GCU......... I'll post when resolved.
Have you found the cause of the no start yet?
Old 12-03-2017, 08:52:06 PM
Registered

Hey, so, the GCU replacement fixed it. It was in the shop for almost two months and took a call from me to Honda directly to get it back... Iím convinced that there isnít nearly enough protection on the GCU. I took the unit apart before bringing it in and inspected the GCU. It was filthy and covered in carbon and dust and buildup. The GCU sits in a location where the airflow comes in through the front of the unit and is pulled across the circuit boards. The boards have no protection at all. I have a few different inverter generators from other much cheaper companies and EVERY GCU in those units is epoxy sealed and 100% protected from weather and elements.... WHY wouldnít Honda do this to there GCU? Especially if itís not serviceable and is replaced every time it acts up? Seems like this very simple step would save Honda thousands and thousands of dollars. Also, saving out of warranty customers $800 every time the GCU blows... I have seen this problem at least 6 times now with local operators and the repair shops here donít even want to service this issue any more because Honda warranty dept is giving them all a very hard time appearently. I would seal the boards myself but unfortunately there are some air pressure and temp sensors that would be too hard for me to work around. Good luck, anyone else want to chime in about these issues?
Old 12-09-2017, 07:15:20 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Hey, so, the GCU replacement fixed it. It was in the shop for almost two months and took a call from me to Honda directly to get it back... Iím convinced that there isnít nearly enough protection on the GCU. I took the unit apart before bringing it in and inspected the GCU. It was filthy and covered in carbon and dust and buildup. The GCU sits in a location where the airflow comes in through the front of the unit and is pulled across the circuit boards. The boards have no protection at all. I have a few different inverter generators from other much cheaper companies and EVERY GCU in those units is epoxy sealed and 100% protected from weather and elements.... WHY wouldnít Honda do this to there GCU? Especially if itís not serviceable and is replaced every time it acts up? Seems like this very simple step would save Honda thousands and thousands of dollars. Also, saving out of warranty customers $800 every time the GCU blows... I have seen this problem at least 6 times now with local operators and the repair shops here donít even want to service this issue any more because Honda warranty dept is giving them all a very hard time appearently. I would seal the boards myself but unfortunately there are some air pressure and temp sensors that would be too hard for me to work around. Good luck, anyone else want to chime in about these issues?
I would be angry too if I kept having problems with the GCU. If you read Honda's reviews on their Honda power webpage there are A LOT of them running hard down in Puerto Rico. Its going to be interesting to read if they have problems too. From what I've read so far the EU7000 have been doing very well down there in the heat.