Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Honda EU7000is Parallel Kit

this thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 1604 times

Old 07-17-2017, 12:38:09 PM
Registered

Default Honda EU7000is Parallel Kit

Has anyone heard about the new Parallel kit for the EU7000is? I complained to Honda that there isn’t one. They said that that they’re getting ready to start production again and that an announcement would happen within a few weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrRedHat For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2017, 05:30:00 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Honda EU7000is Parallel Kit

That's Great news
Old 07-17-2017, 10:33:59 PM
Registered

When they release it, I hope it works how I expect it to work, i.e. share the load between the two generators. I bought it because of the parallel option. If the new kit doesn’t work well, I guess I got bamboozled by Honda.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:51:03 AM
Registered-II

Well, it has been a LONG time coming, but production of the EU7000is parallel kit has started! A formal announcement, including part number, pricing, etc. should be out shortly.

Not sure what was changed...I know there were some issues with the breakers tripping a less-than-expected loads, and the engineers were focusing on thermal/ambient temps factors.

- - -
Robert@Honda
Social Media Consigliere
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertathonda For This Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 02:49:19 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertathonda View Post
Well, it has been a LONG time coming, but production of the EU7000is parallel kit has started! A formal announcement, including part number, pricing, etc. should be out shortly.

Not sure what was changed...I know there were some issues with the breakers tripping a less-than-expected loads, and the engineers were focusing on thermal/ambient temps factors.

- - -
Robert@Honda
Social Media Consigliere
That's great news. Does anyone know what kind of realistic load we can apply to this configuration?

A - Even though we have presumably twice the output, the transfer switches are still the same size. Most max out at around 10 single pole circuits. I imagine you'd have to use more 2 pole breakers maybe combined with a sub-panel to break out smaller circuits.

B - I am curious how the circuits get mapped to each generator. Can I split each leg of a 240V circuit across each generator?

I've got a 3.5 ton HVAC compressor but the LRA is 117. I'm not sure two EU7000s in parallel will help me. Does anyone know how to calculate the wattage draw? Because 117A * 208V is more watts than even the largest standby units could handle. I must be doing something wrong.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:09:07 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinjax View Post
That's great news. Does anyone know what kind of realistic load we can apply to this configuration?

A - Even though we have presumably twice the output, the transfer switches are still the same size. Most max out at around 10 single pole circuits. I imagine you'd have to use more 2 pole breakers maybe combined with a sub-panel to break out smaller circuits.

B - I am curious how the circuits get mapped to each generator. Can I split each leg of a 240V circuit across each generator?

I've got a 3.5 ton HVAC compressor but the LRA is 117. I'm not sure two EU7000s in parallel will help me. Does anyone know how to calculate the wattage draw? Because 117A * 208V is more watts than even the largest standby units could handle. I must be doing something wrong.
For A you could look at a generator interlock kit. If you install that on your panel you can select which circuits you want on/off for the whole house.

For B, I assume you're talking about your AC? Not sure if this applies to you, but there are hard start capacitor kits you can get for your AC. They can help with the start amps quite a lot. -- Your AC may already have one, so you'd have to check it out.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:52:02 AM
Registered-I

I'm in the same boat with two 3.5 ton central A/C's. I saw a video on YouTube which I can't find again where a guy put an Interlock on his panel and started his central A/C. The generator was around a 7 or 8000 watt. I've run my walk in refrigerator at dairy queen off of my EU6500. That has a large 240v compressor and two blower motors. It wouldn't start it on ECO, the draw was too much and the generator would stall, but with the ECO off it ran it just fine. I can't see with two EU7000's and #6 wire not being able to start at least one A/C. Both of my A/C's are on two seprate 30 amp 240v breakers
Old 08-07-2017, 10:09:52 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexV View Post
I'm in the same boat with two 3.5 ton central A/C's. I saw a video on YouTube which I can't find again where a guy put an Interlock on his panel and started his central A/C. The generator was around a 7 or 8000 watt. I've run my walk in refrigerator at dairy queen off of my EU6500. That has a large 240v compressor and two blower motors. It wouldn't start it on ECO, the draw was too much and the generator would stall, but with the ECO off it ran it just fine. I can't see with two EU7000's and #6 wire not being able to start at least one A/C. Both of my A/C's are on two seprate 30 amp 240v breakers
Good points all around. The breaker for my compressor is only 40A to begin with. However, (unless I have them confused) the indoor blower unit with the evaporator coil has a 60A breaker. I need to research but I hope the high breaker rating is for the emergency electric heat. Maybe in regular mode where it only exchanges air it draws less.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:19:00 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Good points all around. The breaker for my compressor is only 40A to begin with. However, (unless I have them confused) the indoor blower unit with the evaporator coil has a 60A breaker. I need to research but I hope the high breaker rating is for the emergency electric heat. Maybe in regular mode where it only exchanges air it draws less.
I'll bet that 60 amp is for the electric heat.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:42:32 PM
Registered-I

For those wanting to run AC's off generators look at the Micro Air Easy Start units.
https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267
They have complete units installed in a weatherproof box ready for a 4 wire hookup, I have that one on my home AC, and a circuit board only at half priced that I have on my camping trailer.
They are popular for the travel trailer crowd because they allow a Honda eu2000i or other small inverter generator to start 13,500 btu AC's even with the ECO mode on.
The fan is powered up first then 5 seconds later the compressor is ramped up slowly over a second or two.
I have one installed on my travel trailer and it works so well I installed one on my home AC. Perviously the furnace fan, outdoor fan and compressor fan all came on at the same time and the furnace fan on the fastest speed had a hard time starting. With an easy start the furnace fan has no problem starting and the starting surge looking at the electric meter is radically reduced. The power to our area has a problem:-(

Joe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Romas For This Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 07:42:05 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedHat View Post
For A you could look at a generator interlock kit. If you install that on your panel you can select which circuits you want on/off for the whole house.

For B, I assume you're talking about your AC? Not sure if this applies to you, but there are hard start capacitor kits you can get for your AC. They can help with the start amps quite a lot. -- Your AC may already have one, so you'd have to check it out.
Agreed. With the combined power of two EU7000's I would go with an interlock or a 3 way throw switch and run far more circuits.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:14:13 AM
Registered-I

Quote:

- - -
Robert@Honda
Social Media Consigliere
I haven't been following this lately... has the parallel kit been released yet or any other update on timing?

Thanks
Old 12-09-2017, 05:42:33 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,428 Times in 3,941 Posts

Quote:
No you have it right 117A * 208 = ~ 24kw. But difference is it only exists for a fraction of a second (surge rating), so gen doesn't have to have a continuous rating of 24kw . Energy stored in large spinning flywheel is tapped to supply extra energy, and windings won't overhead in the ~ 1 second it takes to start. Also typically well designed gensets have engines with 2hp/kw. But inverter gens likely have some electronic component limitations.

Also depends on how well the gen is designed.
An old 7.5kw Onan JB even on nat gas easily starts 3ton A/C (88 amp LRA)
Problem is most modern gens are light weight and have smaller engines than in past, so surge rating is lower than in past.

Last edited by len k; 12-09-2017 at 06:09:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:52:57 PM
Registered-I

Quote:

117 LRA? My two 3.5 ton A/C's shows 77LRA and 15.3 RLA each
Old 12-10-2017, 01:31:45 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,428 Times in 3,941 Posts

A/C tonage to LRA depends on type of pump and if it has any type of soft start. I heard scroll type pump take less. Also variable speed ones ( PWM electronics) likley have soft start built in, so less LRA.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 10:54:43 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
117 LRA? My two 3.5 ton A/C's shows 77LRA and 15.3 RLA each
Correct. That's what the spec sheet shows. My RLA for the compressor is 21.79 A. Minimum circuit ampacity is 29 A. It's a 14 SEER unit that is only a few years old. Lennox 14HPX-042-230-19. 042 = 3.5 tons.

Not sure if the difference is the specific equipment type. My unit is a heat pump that provides both AC and then reverses direction to provide heat. We don't have non-electric heat down here like I expect most people would have up north. Although, I have no idea if you would also simply have the same kind of heat pump for AC.

Have you heard anything on the parallel kit? RobertatHonda said there would be an announcement soon but I don't see anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to billinjax For This Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 11:18:01 AM
Registered-II

Quote:

Have you heard anything on the parallel kit? RobertatHonda said there would be an announcement soon but I don't see anything.
<sigh> Evidently, more delays during final testing. No specifics, sorry. I hate to keep telling you guys 'it's coming' and then it's not. I've worked in accessory development before, so understand delays are going to happen.

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Robert@Honda
Old 12-11-2017, 11:24:32 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
<sigh> Evidently, more delays during final testing. No specifics, sorry. I hate to keep telling you guys 'it's coming' and then it's not. I've worked in accessory development before, so understand delays are going to happen.

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Robert@Honda
Understood and I very much appreciate the update. I am having some electrical work done and plan on re-wiring to support a 50A receptacle. I'll roll the dice and assume that part won't change in the new kit. Hopefully it will be out by spring.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:14:37 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Understood and I very much appreciate the update. I am having some electrical work done and plan on re-wiring to support a 50A receptacle. I'll roll the dice and assume that part won't change in the new kit. Hopefully it will be out by spring.
Bill I would definitely upgrade to a 50 amp inlet box. Even if the Honda Parallel kit fails to happen you can always go with a larger generator option. A Honda EB10000 or a Kubota GL110000 diesel are two good examples.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:29:27 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Bill I would definitely upgrade to a 50 amp inlet box. Even if the Honda Parallel kit fails to happen you can always go with a larger generator option. A Honda EB10000 or a Kubota GL110000 diesel are two good examples.
Good point. I was looking at the Winco w/Honda engine that is LP/NG/gas although it has a NEMA 14-60 receptacle for a 45 A output. I think you're expected to make your own cord for that unit.