Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Em6500sx won't start in cold weather

this thread has 65 replies and has been viewed 10433 times

Old 11-06-2013, 02:30:15 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Em6500sx won't start in cold weather

It sure sounds like a choke problem, but you say it looks closed when you take off the air cleaner. Can you post a few pictures of that? It might help.

I think you should avoid the dealer. There are good ones, but so many turn out to be dishonest, incompetent or both. If you are patient and keep coming back here, it's a good bet you can solve the problem yourself, save some money and learn a little about your generator. Some of the folks on here really know their stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Graycenphil For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 02:50:28 PM
Registered

Here's an update.
As I mentioned I emptied oil, fuel, carb fuel, etc and checked the spark plug. Earlier I went ahead and refilled with high test, oil and checked all connections.
I closed the choke manually (pulled the lever), well,

It started with the first pull. That's the good news, the bad news, it's warm today, above freezing. So I am not sure of the results. I kept it going for 30 mins then I turned fuel off until it stopped.
Weather supposed to get colder Monday, snow... so between now and then I will start it for 30 min daily (if it starts) and hopefully when it gets cold again it starts.
Will keep you updated .
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35:24 AM
Registered-II

The Canada-market model you (probably) have isn't documented in the USA-spec shop manuals sold on Amazon / eBay.

But, it's pretty close.

What is the serial number?

Newer model EM6500SX units have a combination automatic & manual choke. The automatic one runs off the battery and also uses a tiny motor and gearset, along with a wax-cylinder to respond to ambient temperatures.

The shop manual has detailed function and troubleshooting of the system, depending on the serial number. Check the first four letters and get the right one. EBJC prefix gets one, while EAPC gets the other. I think Canada market units uses the same serial number prefix as USA models...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dlawngarden&field-keywords=em6500sx

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to robertathonda For This Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 12:24:25 PM
Registered

Thanx Roberta. I wrote to honda asking them where I can get the manuals, the response was I should go to my local dealer. Not much help since my local dealer said they would order it from honda.
The manuals on amazon all start with EAPC mine since It was sold in Canada starts with EZCT. Can't find any reference for this on any website. My serial is EZCT1003196.

A quick update on the daily starts. I started this morning, again started first pull, but when I turned choke on (likely too soon) it stuttered a bit then went off. I tried starting it again, no luck. Cooler day today, saw some snow falling, not a lot.
Anyway, I left it alone. Will try again tomorrow. I am beginning to lean toward a choke problem.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:46:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,369 Posts

When the choke pull is OUT, the engine is choked. When it is pushed IN, the choke is opened.
Try this:
1) Open the fuel tap and wait a minute for the float bowl to fill.
2) Pull the choke out all the way when the outside temp is very cold.
3) Turn the ignition on and pull the starter rope.
4) As the engine starts running, push the choke in slowly to keep the engine running. If it dies as you push the choke in then leave it out until it warms up some.

Try something too if it isn't a real hassle to try, Put REGULAR gasoline in it and at least try it in the cold weather starting. The ONLY additive I would put in the fuel is a fuel stabilizer that keeps it fresh longer. I don't know if you have ethanol in your fuel in Canada but here in the states, you can buy fuel at a boat dock and it is supposedly ethanol free.
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 01:56:04 PM
Registered

Quick update. After leaving it for about an hour, I just went out and started it again. One pull and it started. Left choke pulled for a minute then pushed it back, still running. I will leave it running for 20 min and then turn it off.
Temp here is about 4 deg cent, supposed to get below zero next week so hopefully I ll be able to finish testing it.
By the way, got a hold of a honda customer rep but he said honda doesn't sell manuals anymore and should check a website HELM, I did, the site redirected me to honda power equipment site where honda sends you to amazon or eBay, and there they dont sell the manual for my serial number, so no luck there.
Will provide further update next week when temp gets cold . Thanx for the help by the way.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:56:39 AM
Registered

Update.

Failed to start the past two days. Weather is cold around 0. Hopefully wnt need it this winter. Will do a full revamp in the spring.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:19:10 AM
Registered-III

Was the choke fully closed?
The Following User Says Thank You to Graycenphil For This Post:
Old 11-11-2013, 03:54:12 PM
Registered

Yes. I checked and tried open and closed, no luck. I will keep trying over the next few days, then I am expecting temps to get warm by weekend so maybe then.
Can anyone answers this.
If it is cold, does the choke get effected, ie the small leaf in the carb which is metal and could be affected by temps may be staying slightly open?and not allowing full choke. Maybe I'm fishing.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:06:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,367 Posts

that's weird.. have you tried using ether(quick start) to start it when it wont fire?
The Following User Says Thank You to YellowLister For This Post: