Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Honda eu3000is backfiring through intake.

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 11096 times

Old 10-07-2015, 01:39:48 PM
Registered

Default Re: Honda eu3000is backfiring through intake.

Need help. Just bought a used eu3000is and don't have a manual yet. What's the easiest way to get the valve cover off and out?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2015, 05:24:29 PM
Registered

Bad news. There IS no easy way. I suggest you buy the shop manual. But here is a rundown. Remove the back cover panels, handle and insulating panel. Open the maintenance door on the side and remove the white plastic cover over the valve cover. Now is the fun part! Remove the four bolts holding the cover and pull out the vent tube on the right side. Use your left hand to grab the frame of the generator and use your thumb to press on the exhaust, rocking the engine back away from you maybe a 1/2 in. Anything will help as you rotate the valve cover and try and remove it from below the muffler. Try not to damage the cork gasket unless you already have a replacement. I couldn't believe how difficult it was the first time. On my EB2500 just remove the four bolts, lift off. I consider this one of the flaws of the design.

I came upon this website following your EU3000is adventures. I was heartened to see you got 6000hrs. of propane use out of yours. I wish my experience had been so kind. I had mine modified brand new and intended to run it off our house tanks as I had its predecessor, a similar Yamaha 3000. I got 2700hrs of service from it. It had continual valve problems. Right from the beginning the Honda began to show valve recession, and, as you know, adjusting the valve lash is ridiculously complicated surgery. I did a little research and, as you may also know, this effect was common in cars that were converted to run on gas fuels. It happens because the head does not get the evaporative cooling that it normally gets from liquid gasoline. This is a particular problem on these tightly packaged generators. After adjusting the valve lash at least 5 times in the first 1000 hrs I switched back to hauling in gasoline by the 5 gal. can again. Sadly. But the generator runs much better, starts far more easily and will, I hope, last longer. I paid particular attention to running it as leanly as possible, that still didn't seem to help. By way of contrast my EB2500 probably HAS 2500 hrs. on it and I have never adjusted the valves. I was heartened to see that engine replacement on these was so remarkably cheap. I'd love to hear of your story in swapping out yours.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:58:15 AM
Registered

No doubt, the EU3000is is poorly designed as far as access to the stinkin valve cover. Can anyone verify whether the 7000is EFI model has the same access problem. FYI... my backfiring problem did not seem to go away after adjusting the valves but did seem to go away after I cleaned the spark plug, set gap closer and filed the electrode sharp.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:56:04 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPQ View Post
Can anyone verify whether the 7000is EFI model has the same access problem.
Per the shop manual, to get to the valves:

Remove head cover shroud:
(a) open left cover

- - -
Robert@Honda
Social Media Consigliere
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:45:52 AM
Registered

TO: - Robert@Honda

Wow, I am surprised. Looks totally different.
I think I will stick with Honda and upgrade after all.

Now, next thought, does Honda made a 24v / 48V DC output generator with same access and EFI ?

Since I am off grid, probably better to just charge the batteries directly.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:09:32 PM
Registered-II

Quote:

Now, next thought, does Honda made a 24v / 48V DC output generator with same access and EFI ?
Honda did make a special-market version of the EU3000is, that was built for the Alpha company. It was painted green, and called the Alphagen DCX3000, and had a switchable 24V and 48V DC output. It was designed to keep an array of 12V batteries charged during storms or extended outages. The batteries keep signal amps for cable TV, telephone, and internet powered up. They show up on eBay or other used gear sites. Nothing changed as far as the engine configuration or access to the cylinder head / valve cover....identical to the EU3000is (including the carburetor).

- - -
Robert@Honda
Social Media Consigliere

The Following User Says Thank You to robertathonda For This Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 03:57:04 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,008 Times in 3,910 Posts

Check valve lash first. Set plug gap at .030". Replace spark plug. If all else fails, have a look at safeties - oil level shutdown, and power system. If safeties OK, then ignition module.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:53:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,078 Times in 579 Posts

Quote:
No doubt, the EU3000is is poorly designed as far as access to the stinkin valve cover. Can anyone verify whether the 7000is EFI model has the same access problem. FYI... my backfiring problem did not seem to go away after adjusting the valves but did seem to go away after I cleaned the spark plug, set gap closer and filed the electrode sharp.
You only want to run an NGK or Nippondenso spark plug in these as they are the better quality over Champion etc. Rather than clean I always replace due to the buildup of chemicals from our crappy fuel. its amazing how well an engine will run just replacing the spark plug.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:24:31 AM
Registered

Default Honda EU3000is - no spark

last night my gen would not start. No spark because the electric start area imploded. Looks like I am going to need about six parts. Sad. I never abused the electric start, but the unit is probably 10 years old. No way to fix this quickly so I bought a Ryobi RY905500 on sale (return unit). $475 with tax. Could not afford another Honda at the moment !
Old 08-17-2017, 02:27:40 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Honda EU3000is - no spark

Quote:
last night my gen would not start. No spark because the electric start area imploded.
Yikes! What actually broke / "imploded"; the starter or coil or ??? Can you not use the pull start? Got to think that even at Honda prices, a starter/repair is < $500, less if you can DIY. Of course, if there's no time to wait for parts, and you must have power, I understand.

The EU3000is is quite reliable...never heard of this issue before. Got me curious now.

- - -
Robert@Honda
Social Media Consigliere