Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hot Air Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hot Air Engines Stirling engines, Rider-Ericsson and others.

Hot Air Engines

8" Ericson Barrel clearance?

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1169 times

Old 07-06-2016, 06:46:01 AM
Registered

Default 8" Ericson Barrel clearance?

Hi all,
I've recently been working on an 8" Ericson and the power piston is a very rattly fit. My barrel has rust pits in it and the power piston has that much clearance in it that it allows the displacer piston to move around enough that it can hit the furnace wall at the top and bottom of the stroke. My question is has anyone bored or sleeved one of these engines? And if so what clearance did they find worked best? My gut feeling is 8-12 thou but I'm really interested to hear from anyone with experience with this.

Cheers,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2016, 10:03:18 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: 8" Ericson Barrel clearance?

Peter, it may be a case of the guides for the piston being worn at the top and bottom of the piston allowing the displaces to flop around. Have you checked the straightness of the displacer rod. There is something like ~1/8" clearance between the cylinder and diaplacer so it sounds like a wear problem with the displaces guides IMO. There is a guy in New Zealand who sleeved his but don't know the clearance. I made a new piston for mine but it was missing and I had about 8-10 miles of clearance as I recall. If you've had the piston out, take a pix of the bottom where the displacer rod goes. There is just not a lot of force to wear the piston in the bore when it is running so I'm leaning elsewhere.

Last edited by PaulGray; 07-06-2016 at 10:04:03 AM. Reason: Error
Old 07-06-2016, 01:40:08 PM
Subscriber

If your cylinder bore is badly pitted so that it doesn't seal air well enough, it will need to be bored and sleeved. But first you can make and install brass or bronze bushings in the gland nut at the top of the piston stem and in the bottom of the piston where the displacer rod passes through it. If the rod is pitted and/or worn, replace it with an ordinary 3/8" steel rod. This should solve most of the problem of the displacer flopping around in the cylinder, assuming your rod is straight. I assume you will also need a new piston leather (available from Don Worley on this Forum). If you do these things and it still won't run and pump, you may still have too much air escaping from around the piston and I would then consider sleeving. I've had two engines sleeved with excellent results.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brent Rowell For This Post:
Old 07-09-2016, 08:35:25 PM
Registered

Thanks guys for the response. My displacer and displacer rod are brand new, but my displacer rod was 7/16" which lends me to believe that it was probably supposed to be 3/8" because there is definitely no bronze bushings anywhere in the displacer guide on the power piston. The other thing that has happened to my power piston is that the guide has been broken off and rebronzed on (not by me). So the alignment isn't crash hot, although with saying all of this my displacer rod is quite tight in the piston and when i was stuffing around with the piston I had it upside down in a vice and I had a parallel strip and and engineers square and the displacer rod was travelling squarely through the piston. I'm leaning towards getting new piston cast and resleeving the engine. Here's a video of the engine running, I had i going for the first time on Monday night, with the aid of heavy gear oil for a seal.
I'd also like to say thank you to Buster Brown and Marv Hedberg for all the measurements photos and help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndj8kQap_fg
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peter MacDonald For This Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 08:18:15 AM
Subscriber

Just to be clear, these engines didn't come with any bushings in the displacer rod gland nut or piston--that's just a good fix if these are egg-shaped and worn. Sounds like you don't have that problem and you're off to a good start.

Would you mind sharing the serial no. of your engine? I keep a registry of Rider and Ericsson engine serial numbers which can help provide a range of manufacturing dates for yours and other engines. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:47:24 PM
Subscriber

Peter If you need to sleeve that engine ..Only sleeve the top where the power piston goes up and down . . the rest was left rough from the factory . I think this was for regenerating effect on air movement .... Buster
The Following User Says Thank You to Buster For This Post: