Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Storage of gen set with Gas?

this thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 1524 times

Old 01-06-2017, 04:05:34 PM
Registered-II

Default Storage of gen set with Gas?

Empty the carb or leave it full of gas...I'm using 100LL aviation gas...
Charlie
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 04:21:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,703 Times in 1,373 Posts
Default Re: Storage of gen set with Gas?

Most of the time I shut off the gasoline from the tank and let my generators run till the carb runs out . you have high octane fuel so you would be ok that is all gas stabilizer is a high octane fuel to help keep the gasoline from getting bad .
Old 01-06-2017, 06:03:11 PM
Email NOT Working

The only thing I have to add is if this is a Honda style generator with a gravity feed carb that when you go to use it turn the valve on and start it immediately before the bowl has a chance to overflow. They seem to stick in the down position a fair amount and the vibration helps loosen them up but once it overflows it can become flooded and hard to start not to mention the mess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post:
Old 01-06-2017, 08:12:44 PM
Subscriber

The Avgas should last for a long time without issues. its not the ethanol crap
Old 01-07-2017, 01:17:41 PM
Subscriber

It depends on how long your going to store it. A month , 10 years? Ron
Old 01-07-2017, 01:33:50 PM
Registered-II

Take it out one a year...Go camping..Or just run for a 1/2 hour with load...These get hot fast so I don't run long...Thanks Charlie
Old 01-07-2017, 02:44:31 PM
Registered-III

Hi

I have seen avgas stored in the aircraft fuel thank for 10 years plus and when the scrappers come and cut the aircraft up they drain the avgas and use it in their gen sets forklift etc.

Now here is what I do. I drain the fuel and run the gen set until it quits then put a quart of avgas in it and run it till it quits. Four years latter add auto gas and start the machine no problem.

Now with the Honda EU2000I of which I have a pair I just run them out of gas put a quart of avgas in run them out of gas and drain the carburetor using the provided drain. I use these 2 units once a year in February and have not had to do anything but put gas in them check the oil level and start them. We do run them almost steady for about 2 weeks.

Phil P
Old 01-07-2017, 03:13:57 PM
Subscriber

Phil I do about the same thing. I drain the tank then run until it uses what is in the carb , then put in a few ounces of naptha , then run that out to clean the tank and carb. The naptha does not leave any residue/gum when it evaporates. Ron
Old 01-09-2017, 07:27:37 PM
Registered-I

The fuel itself is great stuff for stability.
It has a lot of cleaners and solvents in it and not ethanol ( lots of Xylene in Avgas that's where the stability and cleaning properties come from )

I used to us 100LL in some clones I raced.
It worked fine but I could see the deposits on the plug and I found it was not worth the cost and trouble ( built methanol clones instead )

I use coleman fuel with a bit of 2 cycle oil in it to flush out my fuel systems of methanol.
Done it to gas engines too....
Don't run the engine on Coleman fuel its low octane ( but its super clean highly refined and will not varnish deposits in carbs and tanks. The oil adds rust protection )
Old 01-09-2017, 09:04:51 PM
Registered-II

just used this stuff for years in chain saws and gen sets...Never a problem...
Just a little more in price...Wait till auto fuel goes bad...Talk about pricey...Charlie
Old 01-09-2017, 09:44:26 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald E. McClellan View Post
Phil I do about the same thing. I drain the tank then run until it uses what is in the carb , then put in a few ounces of naptha , then run that out to clean the tank and carb. The naptha does not leave any residue/gum when it evaporates. Ron
Hi

When Avgas the new name for 100LL evaporates it leaves a white powder that will mix with any petroleum product.

Phil P
Old 01-10-2017, 10:23:11 AM
Registered-II

Thanks to all.....Charlie
Old 05-16-2017, 02:16:25 AM
Registered-I

I do that drain the bowl by running with fuel valve off till it stalls.

If I want to empty the tank fast I use a siphon hose and put the gas in a container and then in my truck.

What I would like to know for my generator which is a Champion 46534, does the tube inlet inside fuel tank going to the valve outside the fuel tank, stick up a small amount from the bottom of the tank to keep dirt out of the carb.

I cant see inside well. There is a small detent made in the tank that is lower than the rest of the tank where the valve is installed.

I got most all the gas out with the siphon, but nothing comes out the fuel valve.

If I were to unscrew the valve I could then empty it all, but am always afraid of the idea, if it aint broke don't mess with it. I've know stuff to break why you least expect it. Getting a replacement part when otherwise then generator works fine.

Rather than trying to take the tank off so I could hold it upside down and empty and shake the last drips out, seems like too much trouble. Just air out to evaporate after a non-lint type cloth blot out the last amount I though of.

How have you handle this issue?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:25:42 AM
Subscriber

I add two cycle oil to the gas and then drain the carb or close the petcock and run it dry. No fuel storage problems even with today's E10 gas.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:02:24 PM
Registered-I

I store all my Generators dry. I rotate my fuel that I have in no spill can's every 6 months. aviation gas sounds like a good idea but I have no way of rotating it. I can't put it in my truck or car.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:42:51 AM
Registered-I

also, make sure your not under a load when you let the carb run out......AVR's dont like that
Old 05-23-2017, 12:53:08 AM
Registered-III

Just don't do it, especially if its a smaller unit (Honda EU2000I)!
If it were me, based on my experience, I would mix up some fuel with fuel stabilizer in it. Put some in the tank, run it for a good 20 minutes. Then shut down, remove as much fuel as possible (I have used a fuel pump and pumped it out of the tank) and then fire the genset up and let it burn whatever is left out of the tank.
The larger gensets, in my experience are not as cranky with old fuel
Old 05-31-2017, 07:26:27 AM
Registered-III

I store some small gen's for several years without starting the engine.

I completely drain the gas tank and remove the fuel bowl on the carb and dump gas, then I install ATF fluid in the tank and let it go to the carb.
I remove the spark plug and install little bit of ATF and crank engine over and replace plug and leave spark plug wire off. Then attach a tag that the system has ATF and to clear before gas.
The ATF keeps metal tanks from rusting. I've removed them from 10 years of storage, clear the fluid and ready to go.

Some carbs, like Honda have a small drain on the bottom of the carb bowl and the bowl does not have to be removed for draining oil or gas.

Just trying to run a carb dry will leave some fuel in the bowl which when evaporates leaves a residue to clog the carb.

When removed from storage 10 minites of clearing ATF and she is ready to go instead of hours of working on carb and fuel systems on gas engines.

Propane converter is also good option for long term storage of gas gen's.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:43:20 AM
Registered-I

On a another forum I found some one said use of a old turkey baster to suck the left over gas that draining does not get in the fuel tank. Taking the tank off or turning a 130 pound gen upside down is not an easy task. Now what to baste? No turkeys were harmed....

The use of running the last run of the engine with fuel stabilizer as here it was said to do, sounds sensible although I have not done that, it will be done. It was just to move the gen for a short while in a vehicle, I was feeling uneasy with a big tank of gas.

Thanks.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:19:01 PM
Registered-I

This should be available in the USA now, it is in Canada.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=aspen+fuel...ai=imrFqyTDtEA

I swear by this stuff.
I even cheat ( yes I am a cheater at the track, all is fair in love war and race day ) and use this because I think I get faster lap times on it.

Buy the 2T and 4T.
Use them to flush your fuel system and rinse your tank out ( one has oil to prevent rust the other does not. )
This fuel require no additives or preservatives and I am told it will stay fresh for 5 years.
SO if you do leave a little in your carb or tank in the process of flushing your fuel system it will not gum anything up.

I have talked this product up for years ( even when it was really expensive and hard to get ).
No one has ever come back and said to me that I was wrong ( or right ).
That's too bad, tells me no one is listening...

This true fuel stuff is something I am suspicious of, but I am sure you could use it to flush a fuel system too.
I am not sure exactly what it is but I smell aromatic rings added to it like Xylene ( this is what gives 100LL its low vapour pressure and long life as well as high octane but they use a regulated level not to harm aircraft engines ).
Xylene can eat up rubber parts in engines so even though I use it to this day as a fuel additive in its pure form I am careful to remove it from my fuel systems.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-...7238/203572162

The Aspen fuel is real safe to use on all engines and will not attack rubber like the aromatics in other stabilized fuels.
The better product of the two by far and both cost the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newoldstock View Post
This should be available in the USA now, it is in Canada.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=aspen+fuel...ai=imrFqyTDtEA

I swear by this stuff.
I even cheat ( yes I am a cheater at the track, all is fair in love war and race day ) and use this because I think I get faster lap times on it.

Buy the 2T and 4T.
Use them to flush your fuel system and rinse your tank out ( one has oil to prevent rust the other does not. )
This fuel require no additives or preservatives and I am told it will stay fresh for 5 years.
SO if you do leave a little in your carb or tank in the process of flushing your fuel system it will not gum anything up.

I have talked this product up for years ( even when it was really expensive and hard to get ).
No one has ever come back and said to me that I was wrong ( or right ).
That's too bad, tells me no one is listening...

This true fuel stuff is something I am suspicious of, but I am sure you could use it to flush a fuel system too.
I am not sure exactly what it is but I smell aromatic rings added to it like Xylene ( this is what gives 100LL its low vapour pressure and long life as well as high octane but they use a regulated level not to harm aircraft engines ).
Xylene can eat up rubber parts in engines so even though I use it to this day as a fuel additive in its pure form I am careful to remove it from my fuel systems.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-...7238/203572162

The Aspen fuel is real safe to use on all engines and will not attack rubber like the aromatics in other stabilized fuels.
The better product of the two by far and both cost the same.
I wanted to add I was introduced to Aspen at an antique engine show in the USA by a fellow that ran engines on it that did not want to have to go to all the trouble of flushing 10 ethanol gas from their old iron. ( I could smell something was different about the engine so stopped to asked )
It even smells nice on the fair ground to be around engines running it.
Ask around and maybe you can chat some of these guys up about next time you are at a show....