Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Storage of gen set with Gas?

this thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 1526 times

Old 10-28-2017, 08:43:05 AM
Registered

Default Re: Storage of gen set with Gas?

I have had a bigger Honda EB11000 gen for about 10-12 years now. It has a metal gas tank so one concern was no rust. I found a little country store that does small engine and boat motor work. He also sells ethanol free gas, 94 octane I think. It's about a 25 mile round trip to get his gas so not real convenient, but I make the trip a couple of times a year. When hurricaine Harvey was predicted I filled about 8 of the 5 gal cans. I treat with stabilizer and add some 2 cycle oil, probably mixing at about a 1:400 ratio, really do not measure extremely accurate, just use a kitchen measuring cup for the oil. So far no rust in my tank. After I run the generator, I turn fuel petcock off and let the carb run dry. It has always started easily even using pull starter on the 25 hp engine when battery was dead. I recently added a couple of the little Honda EU2000i generators for when I don't need the big unit and will see how well they hold up with that fuel. During the summer I use the stockpiled fuel to run my big Scag lawn mower, and most of the time drain the older fuel from the generator to run through the mower, and replace all fuel later in year when hurricaines might be predicted to come through, usually not a concern here 200 miles north of the gulf, but we do get them, or when the occasional snow/ice is predicted. My longest use was on memorial day about 2 years ago when a tornado passed abut 250 yards north of our house after crossing town and going on east for about 30 miles. We were out of town and got home two days later, delayed return after neighbors said no damage to our place so figured refrigerator and freezer woud be good and they were, I did come home to a mess up the road off the main highway, down to less than one full lane with utility trucks trying to get downed power lines up. I got my gen out hooked it up and got things going and still needed it for about 3 days. Nice to have when you need it.
Sponsored Links