Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

MAXWATT MW6500R Wiring Diagram

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 382 times

Old 07-16-2017, 02:34:59 PM
Registered

Default MAXWATT MW6500R Wiring Diagram

Hi all,

ignoring the demerits of Chinese products. I recently, on a whim, bought a used 6.5kW peak / 5kW average petrol generator. This I bought from our company as a non working unit that I was hoping would be a nice project for me. Careful inspection before purchase showed an apparently very new 13hp motor with rope and electrical start and the generator looked equally unstressed, this is what encouraged me.

So after an little investigation after getting it home I have established that the ignition switch is not repairable and the oil levels do not register on the dip stick. But for the rest all looks in fine condition apart from requiring a good clean around the carburator as the pipes appeared to have leaked. So the engine could have taken some strain with the low oil levels but I am hoping that the oil pressure switch did it job and shut the engine down.

However, now the problems with Chinese products become apparent. As I can not locate a user manual or the replacement ignition switch. I purchased a generic ignition switch but on closer investigation I cannot use the switch. I have opened the switch and have established the sequence of the contacts and which wires they feed.

So the first question is. I have worked out that if I took a double pole, single throw switch that I can emulate the OFF and ON positions, then by adding a push button switch I can have the start option. I can see no reason why this cannot work?

The second question is. Inserted between the ignition switch and the harness is a control unit that on investigation appears to include an oil pressure sensor and a fuel sensor and other inputs. I assume that these will shut the generator down if the signal is lost by any sensor. My concern is, if this unit is faulty I will not be able to locate a spare control unit. So apart from the obvious risk of not having early warnings I could at worst case scenario bypass these?

Kind regards
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2017, 03:36:52 PM
Registered

Default Re: MAXWATT MW6500R Wiring Diagram

OK, so the "control unit" would appear to actually be a remote start. There is a crystal on a smaller sub PC board with an aerial. So for all intents and purposes this can be eliminated?