Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

Honda EU7000is Running Time

this thread has 38 replies and has been viewed 1511 times

Old 10-10-2017, 10:15:25 AM
Registered

Default Honda EU7000is Running Time

Hello,

How much is the longest time some one have been running the Honda EU7000is without stop it.

The maximum time I have been running mine is 14 hours.

The manual said it can run up to 18 hours with a full tank, but it don't said for how long can it be running without stopping it.

Do I have to stop it for some time each couple of hours?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2017, 02:26:53 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Honda EU7000is running time

My understanding is to check the oil every time you shutdown to refuel, or once every 24 hrs.

---------- Post added at 02:26:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23:20 PM ----------

You bought a great generator. How much load are you running?
Old 10-10-2017, 03:48:47 PM
Registered

Default Re: Honda EU7000is running time

Hello,

Like 2k at most.
The Following User Says Thank You to cano63 For This Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 07:50:06 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Honda EU7000is Running Time

I see you are in Puerto Rico. Our condolences, and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Can you tell us how things are really going there? It seems very hard to get clear, honest reporting on just how bad, or good, the situaton is. What is working, what is not, and what do you need?

Thank you and good luck.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:47:57 AM
Registered

Hi,

I’m at San Juan and here we can find water, food and gas, but in the center of the island is very hard, there are places that only can be access by air.

The electricity is at 16% percent of the island and they expect to be at 25% at the end of the month, they said that could take up to 4 months to complete the whole island.

The water is like a 58% percent but even that they said that is potable it is not recommend to drink it. A lot of hospital are working on generators, some of them had close because the generator fails, FEMA is providing backup generator for some hospitals. The USNS Comfort came the last week and it’s helping with patients.
The water plants that treats used waters are failing and contaminating the rivers, because of this lot of people that do not have water are using the rivers to wash the clothes and to drink are getting leptospirosis. The government don't confirm it officially but at least we had 2 dead by leptospirosis, it’s know that some people died because they did not have oxygen and dialysis patients did not receive the treatment on time. A patient that need 5 hours of dialysis are receiving only 2 hours of treatment and that’s not enough.

The communications still very bad outside of San Juan. The cells company are working very hard to at least provide calls and text message in the island but not data, Google is launching some globes to provide data and communications.

There are a lot of people that lost everything, even in places that are close to San Juan. The government is trying but it’s really hard for them, Fema also is helping but there a are a lot of complains that they are too slow and the people of the center of the island are not getting help fast enough.

The live in San Juan is kind of normal, but with very heavy traffic, no light and poor communications, but Outside it really different and hard, there are people that need a lot of help, especially in the center of the island.

It’s going to take months for the live to be as it was in the metro area, but in the rest of the island is going to take years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cano63 For This Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 10:46:50 AM
Registered-III

Glad to see youíre doing okay. I hope the rst of the island improves fast. Iím sure that expensive generator you bought seems pretty valuable now.

To your original question, I think it would be fine to run for as long as the tank will last; no need to shut down to rest. But be sure to keep up with the oil change intervals - I think itís every 35 hours? Running around the clock, that means you have to change the oil every other day.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:37:18 AM
Email NOT Working

Of course the engine will not care if you run it 24 hours a day, only stopping to check the oil and fill with gas.

But my advice is to consider how much the generator is actually needed. Can you leave it off 8 hours a night? Or even 4 hours a night and still get your work and refrigeration done?

These types of units seem to run about 4000 hours, maybe a little more, before the engine (cylinder walls mostly, and rings) are worn out.

There may be other problems that also come sooner than you would expect due to high run hours. Also you should probably come up with a plan to do valve adjustment when it is time.

My advice is to keep the run hours as low as possible to save on breakdowns and just save the whole engine because who knows when you will get power back, or be able to get repair parts in case of breakdowns.

Take gentle care of it.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:41:37 PM
Registered-I

Your 2k load is almost nothing for that unit.
4000 hours is 167 days but I'm assuming that's at least half load and maybe full load.

I just consulted the recommended oil change schedules for my Honda eu2000i

First oil change at 20 hours.
After that 100 hours.

Best wishes to everyone there.

Joe
Old 10-13-2017, 09:39:15 AM
Registered

Thanks to all.

I,m running it like 12 hours a day, just during the night, also I,m changing the oil each 100 Hrs. It have like 284 hours on it. For the next oil change I also will be changing the spark plug and the air filter.

I,m thinking on getting some battery systems to run the house for like 2 days and then run the generator for around 8 hours each 2 days just to charge the battery.

The 4000 hours is a standard for all generators, all just for the Hondas?
Old 10-13-2017, 09:46:09 AM
Registered-III

Iím pretty sure heís referring to Hondas. Other high quality generators will last that long. Many, if not most, generators sold these days are not high quality ,and will not last nearly that long.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:50:44 AM
Registered-I

I've seen some EU6500s with over 6000 hours on the clocks and still running. IMO the key is not to overload them, and frequent oil changes.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:44:59 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,409 Times in 3,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cano63 View Post
The 4000 hours is a standard for all generators, all just for the Hondas?
Life varies with generator. Old Onans JB, JC, even NHE might wear out engine in 8,000 hours, Onan diesels maybe 20,000+ . Heard other engines like Brigs and Straton and chinajunker types are only 300 hour engines (yes that's three hundred, not thousand). And then there's stories of Generacs, Champions and Chinajunkers dieing within 3 days with connecting rod punched out the side of block, smoking windings, ect ect ect ........

In a test of an ~30 year old 4kw Onan (usa) VS a new 4kw Champion gen (china) , the "champion" couldn't even make full rated kw or hz and died in ~ 26 hours. The Onan didn't even notice the load.
video--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSDg...ature=youtu.be
Thread--> https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showt...ighlight=death

My recommendation is keep oil changed and try to keep gen in the shade and cool. Being an inverter, electronics will have a lower failure rate the cooler they are, that means better to locate gen where it can get cooler air for cooling rather than park it on hot pavement in the sun. This is just a general recommendation for all electronics, not just inverters. Engine will benefit from cooler air too.

You get what you pay for , if your lucky. The old Onans like JB and JC are pretty much bullet proof. They are old today and still run with high reliability. When new they were not cheap, accounting for inflation they would have sold now for ~$8000. They are now available for ~ $600-1200 running as they are coming off standby use from cell phone towers, ect. Most have low hours. Read Onan subforum of this site. https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Was story of a JB in a industrial plant fueled by nat gas, Onan techs came out for a scheduled maintenance check and found the gen running. Looking at the hour meter they found it had been running for 30 days. Apparently a building breaker tripped and gen's automatic transfer switch started the gen and it powered the building. No one noticed any change in power quality. The techs looked over the gen and found only thing wrong was it needed 1/2 qt of oil. JB/JCs were very over designed for reliability. Fuel consumption is likely higher than an inverter, but they are super reliable.

Last edited by len k; 10-14-2017 at 02:33:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 10-14-2017, 04:03:22 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
Life varies with generator. Old Onans JB, JC, even NHE might wear out engine in 8,000 hours, Onan diesels maybe 20,000+ . Heard other engines like Brigs and Straton and chinajunker types are only 300 hour engines (yes that's three hundred, not thousand). And then there's stories of Generacs, Champions and Chinajunkers dieing within 3 days with connecting rod punched out the side of block, smoking windings, ect ect ect ........

In a test of an ~30 year old 4kw Onan (usa) VS a new 4kw Champion gen (china) , the "champion" couldn't even make full rated kw or hz and died in ~ 26 hours. The Onan didn't even notice the load.
video--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSDg...ature=youtu.be
Thread--> https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showt...ighlight=death

My recommendation is keep oil changed and try to keep gen in the shade and cool. Being an inverter, electronics will have a lower failure rate the cooler they are, that means better to locate gen where it can get cooler air for cooling rather than park it on hot pavement in the sun. This is just a general recommendation for all electronics, not just inverters. Engine will benefit from cooler air too.

You get what you pay for , if your lucky. The old Onans like JB and JC are pretty much bullet proof. They are old today and still run with high reliability. When new they were not cheap, accounting for inflation they would have sold now for ~$8000. They are now available for ~ $600-1200 running as they are coming off standby use from cell phone towers, ect. Most have low hours. Read Onan subforum of this site. https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Was story of a JB in a industrial plant fueled by nat gas, Onan techs came out for a scheduled maintenance check and found the gen running. Looking at the hour meter they found it had been running for 30 days. Apparently a building breaker tripped and gen's automatic transfer switch started the gen and it powered the building. No one noticed any change in power quality. The techs looked over the gen and found only thing wrong was it needed 1/2 qt of oil. JB/JCs were very over designed for reliability. Fuel consumption is likely higher than an inverter, but they are super reliable.
I put a bids in on three MEP 803A's. I've already been out bid on two. All I need is one. I've wanted a EB12d for years now but I can't find a decent one. The best I'm going to do is an MEP 803a. The Onans also look good. Where I live so close to the neighbors on both side noise is an issue.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:34:36 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexV View Post
I put a bids in on three MEP 803A's.. The best I'm going to do is an MEP 803a. The Onans also look good. Where I live so close to the neighbors on both side noise is an issue.
Then you should listen to 803 running before you buy. Good units, but Not quiet to my ears.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 10-14-2017, 06:07:38 PM
Registered-III

I don't know much about military versions of Onans except they derate the kw power to ~ 80% to accommodate mil spec required operation in high temp environments ( deserts).

I hear parts for the mil version are pricey and hard to get , unlike the civilan JB/JC s which are more plentiful when it comes to parts. Lot of info on MEP mil gens on Steelsolders (spelling??) website.

Also I hear the military versions have a different voltage regulator that fails with high voltage output rather than fails with zero output, this allows critical battle loads to stay powered. That can be ok for mil equipment since mil specs can require loads to tolerate high voltage and still work. But consumer grade loads ( TV, radio, fridge...) aren't designed that way, they can burn out on high voltage.

Other issue is Mil gens I've seen are big and heavy compared to even the Onan JB/JC versions of them. So transporting , storing and moving them is harder. They also require 24 V bats , that doubles your bat costs.

I've got a 7.5kw JB even on nat gas it can start a 3 ton A/C ( ~ 88 locked rotor amps). Just looking at it you realise why they never fail, very over designed. Built like a tank, unlike Generjunk.

Noise is typically just an issue of putting on the right good muffler, diesels are louder. Onan also makes diesel versions of 7.5JB and 15JC, the 6DJB and 12DJC.

Last edited by len k; 10-14-2017 at 06:18:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 10-14-2017, 08:14:12 PM
Registered-III

A 5kw commercial gen may be derated to 4kw to guarentee it will make full 4k in hot environments. This means that if you limit yourself to 4kw your paying a fuel penelty of running a 5kw engine.

Engine no-load fuel consumption roughly scales with it's normal temp hp rating. So even at no-load a 5kw engine will consume ~ 25% more fuel than a 4kw gen.

Basically a mil gen is designed to different goals than a commercial gen would be , so in some cases it may not be optimum for house use. People just assume because it's military it must be the best, but that may not be the case for non-mil use.

Other thing is lot of mil gens have a heavy frame that can be fork lifted and bounced off the walls and not break. But that makes it heavy and large to move around.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:22:11 PM
Email NOT Working

The MEP-803a is as quiet to my ears as any similar sound-enclosed unit.

The Lister engine is poorly supported and the hyper-complicated electronics give trouble just like all MEP sets, but could be replaced with a lot of work.

I would own one if it was cheap enough and run it in the neighborhood, but I would never sell one to a paying customer.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:36:04 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt View Post
The MEP-803a is as quiet to my ears as any similar sound-enclosed unit.

The Lister engine is poorly supported and the hyper-complicated electronics give trouble just like all MEP sets, but could be replaced with a lot of work.

I would own one if it was cheap enough and run it in the neighborhood, but I would never sell one to a paying customer.
My understanding of them is there not for the customer who doesn't want to turn a wrench or change filters. One poster on Steel Soldiers said it best. Its more of a hobby as well as a backup generator. There's a major Generator dealer/ repair n my state (Rudox) that stocks Lister parts. If I get it for the right price at auction I'll be happy. If I don't I'll keep looking and praying that Honda get's its act together and sell's a working Parallel kit for the EU7000's.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:19:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexV View Post
One poster on Steel Soldiers said it best. Its more of a hobby as well as a backup generator.
If the genset meets your requirements, SS is the resource for all MEP units. People like Sewerzuk have taken the time to document refurb of units, modifications and they have done a lot of testing. They are an excellent resource for parts, troubleshooting and manuals.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:12:29 PM
Registered-III

Just took a look at pic of MEP 803a on web, looks like a good looking weather proof rain box. Do wonder about all the vent holes on top...rain Maybe it's an exhaust vent.