Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Looking for information on a 16? hp Keck Gonnerman

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 6373 times

Old 11-13-2009, 01:38:28 AM
Polyhead

Default Looking for information on a 16? hp Keck Gonnerman

Probably not the usual question, but i'm trying to learn the wear abouts and disposition of a keck 16hp side mounted single steam traction engine.

I live in Portland Oregon now, but grew up in Seymour Indiana. While in highschool, I operated a steam engine owned by Bill Hellwig of Cortland Indiana. He passed away while I was in the millitary. Not long after he died the engine was sold and I've heard nothing about it or seen it since.

I can provide details about the engine to prove it too, such as there are two welded stay rivits on the front of the fire box. I know, I was with then engine when they started hissing, and was there when "smokey" crawled inside the fire box on top of an 18 wheeler tire flap to weld them.

It will also have steel squash plates on the lubricator. The cast iron ones broke one night at the jackson county fair. We tried brazing the broken unit back together, it didn't hold, so the bishop brothers turned two new ones for us out of steel.

I don't recall the engine number. I do recall it had rear mounted water tanks and shaker grates.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2009, 11:13:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,415 Times in 663 Posts
Default Re: Looking for information on a keck

Polyhead, welcome to Smokestak. When was this? I lived in Seymour '99-2001 Don't remember this engine but there was plenty of old iron around. Good luck finding the 16 Kay Gee
"There's just something about steam!"
Old 11-13-2009, 03:43:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,053 Times in 2,247 Posts

Polyhead,
Welcome to stak. There are only 3 or 4 16 HP Kecks left in existence, so I doubt it will be too much trouble to track down. The smokstak member known as HalfKeck has one of the 16's, he can probably tell you who are the current owners of the rest. His is in TN, and one of the other 16's is in TN also.
Mike M
Old 11-13-2009, 07:13:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,779 Times in 569 Posts

Would like to know if this turns up as well. Right now I have only been able to track down four 16's, two here in TN and two in Ohio. I am not thinking that any of these that I know of is the one you mention, as I know a little of the history of each of them. Always looking for new info though. Got any pics?
Old 11-14-2009, 06:09:39 AM
Polyhead

Default Re: Looking for information on a 16 Keck Gonnerman

Maybe it was an 18hp then. Bill did often say he wasn't sure.

I do recall the boiler being longer than most other traction engines I have seen, as well as the fire box being a bit deeper and longer than most.

The sad truth is I just never got enough time with this engine to really learn about it. Learning how to operate safely was my biggest concern, and the trivia was left for another day that never really came.

This engine performed thrashing duty at the Jackson country fair for many years, all the way through the 1990's.

I really wish I had some photos of it, and me on it, but all I have is a few ribbons given to me and bill from the folks over at the 4-h booth.

The tractor lived near the grain elevator there in Cortland Indiana, as Bill was owner or some such of grain elevator there in Courtland.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:13:27 AM
Polyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Polyhead, welcome to Smokestak. When was this? I lived in Seymour '99-2001 Don't remember this engine but there was plenty of old iron around. Good luck finding the 16 Kay Gee

This would have been around 1992 to 1997 or so. Bill passed away around 1998. My life was a bit of a blur around those years and keeping track of exactly what years it all went on is tough. Too much going on to care what day it was.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 12-05-2010, 06:27:37 AM
Polyhead

Default Re: Looking for information on a 16 (??) hp Keck Gonnerman

Just giving this post a kick to the top one last time to see if anyone may have any information.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:57:32 AM
Registered-III

Polyhead, I think the engine you are looking for is #1622 of Courtland In. I saw it a few years ago and the boiler was in very bad shape not in operating condition at all. I dont have my list handy but I will look it up for you and its last known whereabouts. If I recall it was a 18 hp. Wayne M.
The Following User Says Thank You to wayne m. For This Post:
Old 12-05-2010, 01:22:06 PM
Subscriber

If I am right that engine sold on Ivan burns sale and maybe jeff detwiler has it but not sure it had two weld staybolts. Their was two keck sold and I don't remeber were the other went.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:32:16 PM
Subscriber

Wayne, I found a #1622 in Bert Caswell's notes. He called it a 20 horse and it was shown in Boonville, MO in 1986. I don't have many of the 1600 Registers, let alone 1622.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caswell Kecks 021.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	94484  

Last edited by KGC1615; 12-05-2010 at 09:43:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:48:20 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Graziana View Post
If I am right that engine sold on Ivan burns sale and maybe jeff detwiler has it but not sure it had two weld staybolts. Their was two keck sold and I don't remeber were the other went.
Joe: One of those little Kecks of Ivans had several stays welded in the front of the firebox. We thought it might have had hard water in it at one time. That was one of the last engines Ivan had aquired. Not one of his better purchases. The best side geared Keck Ivan had was the one we called "barefoot" as the wheels were cast with no cletes. It had a real good boiler. I kept records of who bought which engines but would take me several hours to remember where I put the list.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:10:52 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,053 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGC1615 View Post
Wayne, I found a #1622 in Bert Caswell's notes. He called it a 20 horse and it was shown in Boonville, MO in 1986. I don't have many of the 1600 Registers, let alone 1622.
Tom
Is that picture showing a single or double? I remember at the Boonville MO show a few years ago a KG double that had the wheels painted yellow, like the one in the pic. Someone had made a half-scale of it, and they drove 'em thru the parade like "cow & calf".

Mike M
Old 12-06-2010, 07:30:54 PM
Subscriber

The 1622 picture I had shows a double. There could be, maybe, ya think, TWO engines numbered 1622?
Tom
Old 12-06-2010, 09:40:51 PM
Registered-III

this isn't the engine he is looking for, the one at Bonneville , Mo is a 20 hp double rear mount and has been owned by the family i think since the 60s, it has been at the Bonneville, Mo show for many years, the owner made a super nice scale model of it and shows it too, must be 2 Keck # 1622 around, Keck's # system can be interesting, gotta love a good Keck, very nice engines!!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:44:01 AM
Polyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne m. View Post
Polyhead, I think the engine you are looking for is #1622 of Courtland In. I saw it a few years ago and the boiler was in very bad shape not in operating condition at all. I dont have my list handy but I will look it up for you and its last known whereabouts. If I recall it was a 18 hp. Wayne M.
could well be. There are posts farther down speaking of hardwater. This most certainly would have been the case. The boiler was filled with well water drawn right there by the shop in courtland.

God, I was probably in mortal danger even warming that thing up. It would have been operable around 1995, I think bill past away around 97 or so. Operable so far as the engine went, although I'm willing to bet it also needed big end bearings.

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleaner View Post
Joe: One of those little Kecks of Ivans had several stays welded in the front of the firebox. We thought it might have had hard water in it at one time. That was one of the last engines Ivan had aquired. Not one of his better purchases. The best side geared Keck Ivan had was the one we called "barefoot" as the wheels were cast with no cletes. It had a real good boiler. I kept records of who bought which engines but would take me several hours to remember where I put the list.
The keck I operated was side geared and was "barefoot." Mutch to our dismay sometimes. She would get stuck if there was so much as dew on the grass. The axles were in good shape however, and combined with the wheels, bill always speculated the engine spent most of it's life at a saw mill.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:53:18 AM
Registered-I

I was at a sale in Cortland in '98 or '99 where A LOT of old iron sold including a 16 H.P. Huber, there was a smallish Keck there (I thought it was an 18) but they didn't sell it and I think it was rearmounted. I don't know if this was the engine or not, the sale was down in the bottom of one of those hills in the boonies.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:10:42 PM
Subscriber

That engine has been bought by a fellow in or around new albany Indiana. I may be off a little but I think that what john meyers told me.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:51:12 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoorman View Post
I was at a sale in Cortland in '98 or '99 where ALOT of old iron sold including a 16 H.P. Huber, there was a smallish Keck there (I thought it was an 18) but they didn't sell it and I think it was rearmounted. I don't know if this was the engine or not, the sale was down in the bottom of one of those hills in the boonies.
Are you thinking about the Sale near Coryden, IN, that KGC #1625, an 18 SSG, was, and didn't sell until years later?
Tom
Old 02-15-2011, 09:54:47 PM
Subscriber

The sale was down in a hole like they did't sale the keck and pulled around behind the barn and the huber was apart and some of it was in the ground. I toid the guy who got it to take a rake and he did and found some bearing caps and bolts in the dirt.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:29:14 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Graziana View Post
The sale was down in a hole like they did't sale the keck and pulled around behind the barn and the huber was apart and some of it was in the ground. I toid the guy who got it to take a rake and he did and found some bearing caps and bolts in the dirt.
Speaking of being in the dirt, when I bought Keck # 1483, I took a metal detctor and found the pump feed line cast check valve and a step plate buried where it was sitting. Ya just never know.
Tom