Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oilers, Lubricators and Grease Cups
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oilers, Lubricators and Grease Cups Discussion about collecting and restoring oilers, lubricators & grease cups.

Oilers, Lubricators and Grease Cups

Lonergan Drip Oilers

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 894 times

Old 03-10-2018, 01:17:31 PM
Registered

Default Lonergan Drip Oilers

The most widely known drip oliers are the Lunkenheimers. But the most beautiful one I have ever come across was a Lonergan urn glass oiler. Very large, and four vertical brass ribs that protected the glass reservoir. The glass was actually tapered. Lots of scrolling on the brass; like a work of art. I actually found two, and one was in pieces; but every piece was there. I cannot locate a photo anywhere, and I have searched the web many times. I should have kept one of them.

---------- Post added at 12:17:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsouth View Post
The most widely known drip oliers are the Lunkenheimers. But the most beautiful one I have ever come across was a Lonergan urn glass oiler. Very large, and four vertical brass ribs that protected the glass reservoir. The glass was actually tapered. Lots of scrolling on the brass; like a work of art. I actually found two, and one was in pieces; but every piece was there. I cannot locate a photo anywhere, and I have searched the web many times. I should have kept one of them.
Years ago, I scoured an old abandoned coal breaker; and left with 37 oilers & dozens of grease cups. Where I found the two Lonergan oilers. Thank God for grease, oil, and coal dust. The oilers & grease cups were well camouflaged. They just looked like black lumps. The place was left floundering for a good 40 years, and I know many many people had roamed through it; but they did not know what to look for, or where to look. I knew that I had to find bearing assemblies ( motors, compressors, etc. ), high pressure pneumatic cylinders ( they had the high pressure Lunkneheimer oilers ) The high pressure Lunkenheimer oilers do not have a glass reservoir, just a 1/4 inch thick glass bulls eye to check oil level. Anyway, I hit the jackpot on that one.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2018, 01:58:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,357 Times in 1,621 Posts
Default Re: Lonergan Drip Oilers

I agree that the Lonergan urn glass oilers are beautiful items. I've got about 2 dozen of them I've gathered over the years buying them at shows and swaps. I'll try to shoot some photos of the type Lonergan you mention.

Some of the ones I purchased a dozen or more years ago can now be had on eBay considerably cheaper than I paid for them many years ago. eBay has driven the price of these type items down considerably from where they once were. A nice Lonergan can now be had in the $250 range, depending on size and style. Of course, they can run considerably higher for a real early one.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:54:44 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCJudge View Post
I agree that the Lonergan urn glass oilers are beautiful items. I've got about 2 dozen of them I've gathered over the years buying them at shows and swaps. I'll try to shoot some photos of the type Lonergan you mention.

Some of the ones I purchased a dozen or more years ago can now be had on eBay considerably cheaper than I paid for them many years ago. eBay has driven the price of these type items down considerably from where they once were. A nice Lonergan can now be had in the $250 range, depending on size and style. Of course, they can run considerably higher for a real early one.
The two Lonergans I found were quite large, and had the vertical brass ribs to protect the tapered glass reservoir. The high pressure Lunkenheimers were solid brass, with thick walls, and just a small thick glass bulls eye to either check the oil level, or possibly the drip rate. I found 17 of those Lunkenheimers on high pressure pneumatic cylinders. I also saved many MANZEL & BOSCH box oilers; that were used to lube multiple bearing assemblies. Some box oilers had 10 or 12 outlets ( probably more ), and each outlet provided a line to an individual bearing. They ran on a system of internal cams & pumps; and each one pumped a shot of oil on each revolution.

---------- Post added at 01:54:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42:44 PM ----------

Quote:
The two Lonergans I found were quite large, and had the vertical brass ribs to protect the tapered glass reservoir. The high pressure Lunkenheimers were solid brass, with thick walls, and just a small thick glass bulls eye to either check the oil level, or possibly the drip rate. I found 17 of those Lunkenheimers on high pressure pneumatic cylinders. I also saved many MANZEL & BOSCH box oilers; that were used to lube multiple bearing assemblies. Some box oilers had 10 or 12 outlets ( probably more ), and each outlet provided a line to an individual bearing. They ran on a system of internal cams & pumps; and each one pumped a shot of oil on each revolution.
The Lonergans were about 3 1/2 inches across, and about 4+ inches in length ( the body that is ). The brass threaded fitting added another 2 or so inches.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:02:31 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,538 Times in 4,215 Posts

The 1921 Schramm Model 10 I had had 2 different lonnergan oilers on it. Smaller ones (about 21/2" in diameter) for the con rods , and larger ones (3") for the pistons and wrist pins.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:30:15 PM
Registered

I also found several miniature high pressure drip oilers at the same coal breaker. Maybe 3/4 to 1 inch across X 4 inches in length; no glass - solid brass; and I think they may have been manufactured in the breakers machine shop. I think I still have one; and will post a photo if I locate it. If I remember correctly, the high pressure Lunkenheimers may have had a horizontal or slightly angled needle valve below the oiler body, to control the drip.

---------- Post added at 02:25:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18:26 PM ----------

The HP Lunkenheimers were similar to this one:http://www.collectiblesonlinedaily.c...76191682_1.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:28:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25:53 PM ----------

Quote:
I also found several miniature high pressure drip oilers at the same coal breaker. Maybe 3/4 to 1 inch across X 4 inches in length; no glass - solid brass; and I think they may have been manufactured in the breakers machine shop. I think I still have one; and will post a photo if I locate it. If I remember correctly, the high pressure Lunkenheimers may have had a horizontal or slightly angled needle valve below the oiler body, to control the drip.

---------- Post added at 02:25:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18:26 PM ----------

The HP Lunkenheimers were similar to this one:http://www.collectiblesonlinedaily.c...76191682_1.jpg
You can see where some lazy shit used a pipe wrench instead of a box wrench.

---------- Post added at 02:30:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28:13 PM ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 02:28:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25:53 PM ----------

You can see where some lazy shit used a pipe wrench instead of a box wrench.
Sorry, I meant open end wrench.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:54:23 AM
Registered

Not to get off track; but at one breaker, there was a lab for testing coal. A certain amount of coal was burned in an oxygen oven, and then the ash was weighed. It gave the quality of coal from a particular vein. Anyway, the old oxygen oven had a manufacturers logo ( a cast iron head of Satan with porcelain overlay ). When I when back with tools to retrieve it, I found it in pieces on the floor. Someone tried to pry it off and it broke. And the ash was actually weighed. The triple beam scales were that sensitive. In fact, so sensitive, they were kept in a closed glass case, and and tripped from the outside after the ash was put on the pan. They had to be closed, because , being so sensitive, air moving in the room would throw off the reading..