Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler 12 Res Natural Gas Gen OS fault

this thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 5367 times

Old 11-10-2018, 08:42:44 PM
Registered

Default Re: Kohler 12 Res Natural Gas Gen OS fault

Because its wuch a PIA to get to. I live on an island in Maine most of the winter the Generator is under the snow. If I can move it to the top or side I can service it myself. Iíve done this with automotive sensors who location made repair difficult. I suspect the location is to make repair a dealer job.
Cheers, Zaphod
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2018, 09:00:02 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekrider2001 View Post
I also like to say to Kohler... could you have made this generator harder to service?
Haven't you figured it out yet? The ultimate goal of design engineers is to make it as difficult as possible for service techs. So where does that leave us?
Old 11-10-2018, 11:19:58 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Because its wuch a PIA to get to. I live on an island in Maine most of the winter the Generator is under the snow. If I can move it to the top or side I can service it myself. I’ve done this with automotive sensors who location made repair difficult. I suspect the location is to make repair a dealer job.
Cheers, Zaphod
If there is already a mag pickup on the unit, see if there are any other holes it will fit in around the perimeter of the housing the existing sensor is mounted on. Sometimes there are alternate mounting locations or locations for backup sensors. I’m not sure if this applies to the little residential units though, I’m more familiar with the big diesels I get to play with at work.

I don’t think you should try drilling and tapping a new hole anywhere. I don’t see how you could do this in the field with sufficient precision. I’d recommend just leaving the sensor where it is if you are unable to find a preexisting alternate mounting location.

Bill
Old 11-10-2018, 11:21:36 PM
Email NOT Working

MPU sensors are added to larger units all the time with just a drill and tap but I can't remember if a 12RES has any good spot for it, but I do know it is no fun to change one.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:12:59 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt View Post
MPU sensors are added to larger units all the time with just a drill and tap but I can't remember if a 12RES has any good spot for it, but I do know it is no fun to change one.
Iím going to poke around the starter motor and look inside at the inspection plate. Hopefully I can drill, tap, or JB weld something in place. Iíll leave the old sensor where it is. Let you know. Cheers,
Old 11-25-2018, 07:57:06 AM
Registered

I cut away a bit of the flywheel shroud under the oil cooler and fitted anFord
Crankshaft sensor with the aid of a 1/2 in ID Delran plumbing fitting clamped to the cover plate. I shimmed it using a piece of he sensor box 048” works well. Cost $21.95
Woohoo!
Old 12-21-2018, 04:02:28 PM
Registered-I

I just wanted to post a update. I was having some trouble with the generator running the weekly test. I have Flight Systems control board in the transfer switch. They suggested some spikes are coming in on the pair of starting control wires. I twisted these together in a fairly tight twist and routed the pair in a way to stay away from the power lines. The generator now reliably runs its test and started and operated during a six hour power outage yesterday. But I have another strange issue, but I'll start a new thread for that.