Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Off Topic Kohler Question

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 397 times

Old 01-08-2019, 04:44:58 PM
Subscriber

Default Off Topic Kohler Question

Please forgive me if I have posted my question in the wrong forum. I have a Miller Bobcat 225 welder/generator that I bought strictly for standby power purposes. It has a 2 cylinder, 23 HP Kohler engine in it. I bought it new about 6 or 7 yrs ago and it has about 40 hrs. run time on it. Even though it has low hours on it, I decided to change the oil and filter. The Kohler manual that came with the engine says it holds 2 qts. of oil including the filter. The manual also tells you to fill the filter with oil before you install it on the engine. I filled the filter per the instructions and it took a few tries because the filter fabric kept sucking up the oil. When I was finally satisfied that the filter was full, I installed it and tightened it up. I then took the remainder of that quart of oil and dumped it into the engine. I added the second quart after that. When I was finished topping off the oil, I checked the level with the dipstick. It was reading a little on the low side, but I felt that there was plenty of oil in it and it did not concern me. I ran the unit for about 1/2 hr. with a load on it, and then shut it down. I waited for the oil to settle in the crankcase and when I checked it with the dipstick again, it read in the same place, or, a little bit low. I picked up a third quart of oil today to top it off a little bit to bring the oil level on the dipstick where it is supposed to be. But before I added oil, I checked it and now for some reason it is reading high on the stick. There is a shaded area indicating FULL and what I assume to be LOW or ADD. Right now it is about 1/4 inch above the full mark. What gives? The manual says it holds 2 qts. and that's all I put in it. Will running it with the oil level a tad high harm anything? Or should I drain some out until the stick reads correctly. I just don't want to screw anything up if it is overfull. I really like this unit and don't want to mess it up by doing something stupid with oil capacity.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2019, 05:08:52 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,253 Times in 4,036 Posts
Exclamation Re: Off Topic Kohler Question

It all depends on how much clearance the crank throws have to the surface of the oil in the sump. If the throws hit the oil, it probably will froth the oil - filling it with air bubbles. Frothed oil will not lubricate the engine well. It can also lead to oil vapor and mist to be blown out the crankcase breather! For what it's worth, I would drain a bit of oil so that it does not exceed the full line on the dip stick. One note here - if the engine has set a while, the oil may be draining back from the oil filter, leading to a false high reading. Run the engine until warm, shut down and let set a minute or so then check oil level. If above the full mark, I would drain off excess until the oil is at the full mark. When you replaced the oil filter, was it exactly the same size as the original filter? Some replacement filters have a smaller profile, which will change capacity of the volume of oil capacity of the engine. As long as the engine oil does not fall below the 'low' mark, you should be OK.

I always fill an oil filter before installation. The less time the engine takes to develop oil pressure, the less wear the engine will get from running with no oil, as the filter is filled from the oil pump. it usually takes about 3 or 4 minutes to fill. Oil has to go thru the element in order to fill the filter body, and this may take as much as 4 or 5 efforts to top off the filter capacity. After installation, the engine oil pump will force the rest of the air out of the filter. Sometimes the filter may drain back thru the pump, to the engine sump, therefore it pays to start the engine, run for a few minutes and then shut down and check the oil level, as I stated earlier.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 08:30:13 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Off Topic Kohler Question

Thanks Andrew. What you say about the filter draining back makes sense. The oil and filter are genuine Kohler parts and the oil filter was the exact same size. The only other cause I can come up with is that it was a cold day when I changed the oil and I know they say that you are supposed to warm up an engine before changing the oil so it flows out more freely. I did not want to do this because the engine had set for quite awhile and I figured any crap or impurities would be settled to the bottom of the crankcase. I even jacked the generator up on it's side a bit to aid in a downhill flow of oil coming out and I let it drain out slowly for about 90 minutes. Maybe because the oil was thick because it was cold and I didn't get it all out, a little extra oil in the crankcase would make it read a tad high too. But I let it drain for a long time and waited until no oil was coming out of the drain hose at all. I'm more inclined to believe it is what you said, that the oil from the filter is draining back. I will run it today for a few minutes, and then check it again.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:46:23 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,323 Times in 859 Posts

The oil stick should be the final say on oil level 2 quarts is just a guideline.
(there have been recalls on various brands for incorrect length dipstick over the years)

ALWAYS warm an engine before changing (draining) the oil.

Make sure you read the manual on how to read the dipstick, especially one of the screw in kinds. Some read from screwed in, some read by just pushing it without threading it. Otherwise, on a regular dip stick, try letting it set fully seated for 20-30 seconds, it can take time for the oil to fill the tube back up.

If it's a little above, I doubt you will have trouble with it. There is some wiggle room.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 05:24:14 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasuspinto View Post
........Make sure you read the manual on how to read the dipstick, especially one of the screw in kinds. Some read from screwed in, some read by just pushing it without threading it........
This is something that a lot of people don't know about. Thanks for posting it!
Old 01-10-2019, 09:07:30 AM
Subscriber

Well, yesterday I checked the oil and it was still reading high on the stick. I started it, ran it for about 5 minutes until it got warm, and then shut it down. Waited about 5 minutes and checked oil level and it was the same. I used the clear hose provided with the engine and using the plastic quick drain valve on the block, drained a little out. The level on the stick read lower. Second time I let a little oil out, it read right on the full mark. I dumped the oil I took out into a clean 1 QT. oil container and by reading the clear strip on the side found that there was about 8 ounces too much oil in there. Or 1/4 of a quart. I agree with the other poster that the dipstick mark is the final say on oil capacity. I will have to check the Kohler book that came with the engine to see if I am reading the stick properly. I screw it in until it bottoms out, and then read it. Maybe you are just supposed to check the level by not screwing it down. I don't recall the book indicating that, but now I will check it for sure. Still, the 8 ounces of excess oil puzzles me and concerns me. I have a clipboard hanging on the wall next to the unit and I document everything I do to it. When the dust settles on this, next time I change the oil and filter, I will be adding 1 3/4 qts. instead of the 2 qts. that the book says. I appreciate all input and comments on this issue. Funny how good can come out of what seems like a simple and petty issue. When I was using the plastic quick drain valve to lower the oil level, as I closed it, it looked to me like the pipe bushing that that valve is mounted in was turning. The bushing where it goes into the bottom of the block has Teflon tape on it. I found it to be loose. I was able to turn it in quite a bit with my fingers. After that I was able to tighten it up with a crows foot wrench. Jeesh,,imagine that plug coming out during a power outage while you were in the house enjoying a cup of coffee. As loose as the bushing was, there was no leakage whatsoever. Glad I did find out about it though.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:14:34 PM
Subscriber

Checked the engine manual today and the poster who said that you do not screw in the dipstick when you check the oil is correct. It is right there in bold print. They say just to push it down in the engine until it stops., then read the level. You learn something every day on this website.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Holmander For This Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 04:43:37 PM
Registered-I

Peter my DR field and brush mower with Kawasaki 16 hp engine is measured unthreaded. In the owner's manual it states that in all caps. Allie
The Following User Says Thank You to radiodoc For This Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 06:32:06 AM
Registered-II

My Kohler K series all say check unthreaded.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Sams For This Post: