Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

30RZ282 decision maker 2 self starting

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2197 times

Old 02-20-2013, 01:50:22 AM
Registered-I

Default 30RZ282 decision maker 2 self starting

Hi,
My 30RZ282 ser #237473 with i believe 1988 decision maker 2 PCB board # G-292806, will try to start on its own burning out the starter and solenoid. Of course found out when storm cut out power and out of town but got the starter syt repaired and it ran for a full day till the power came back on. all was fine for 2 wks on auto. Last night with no power loss, it kept trying to start(CCTV recording) and would start for 20sec then shut down then do it all over again somtimes running 10sec then just turning over till starter burnt out. Question is, is it the Main PCB board or another board in the decision maker that controls the starting that can go bad. They have an upgraded PCB on Parstsfortech but need to make sure before I drop the 700.00 so is there a test that can be performed since it seems its intermittant till it fails.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 02:41:18 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,154 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: 30RZ282 decision maker 2 self starting

Are you sure you have your numbers right, or could your generator have already been retrofitted, as I am fairly certain 292806 is a Decision Maker 3 enhanced board, not a Decision Maker 2 board. If it is a decision maker 3, it is possible you have multiple problems going on, possibly a front panel start/reset switch shorting out causing an attempted start if the remote start signal is still being received from the automatic transfer switch then a fault triggering a shut down event, perhaps something like low coolant level, repeat. If the trouble is in the switches on the fault light board they can be repaired, or you can replace them for a fraction of the price of the main board.

Ike
The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac-1 For This Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:48:59 AM
Registered-I

Thanks for the reply!! It does seem its the Dec 3 board since the part # is correct. Problem is intermittent in that the syst was ok for 2wks set on auto and just now went crazy. It is a rainy day so maybe humidity though its 36F winter time that is usually not humid. The auto start signal from the ATS is connected to board connection 4 and the one before so you are saying the start relay is on the PCB board correct? I am sending my Bro there in the morn to make sure that the ATS start wire is not the problem but would think if it was, it would not of been fine on auto for 2wks but maybe can. One other symptom was that when we first repaired the starter, it started when we hit run then we put it on auto(street power still out), it ran for 20 min and then shut down and when we looked at it, the new starter was burnt out so it must have been running while gen was running. We figured that the old ford type solenoid on this turbo 4cyl LSG 423 engine was bad and replaced it. It ran fine after that for a day till the power came back on so the solenoid was bad or the DEC maker was calling for start. Now that this has happened again 2wks later I will replace the starter and solenoid again and send out the board if thats where the start sig is actuated when the ATS calls for it. I also have the start sig controlled by my ELK M1 security system so I can shut the gen down in the summer remotely when not needed, so have to check that. Enemy of good is better they say and being intermittent, I have to figure out how to test this or the board without causing further damage any ideas?
Thanks again appreciate the help!!

Forgot to add or make clear that this time there was no power failure since the CCVTV stayed on to record what the GEN was doing. So unless there is a fault in the ATS (MX100) sending a start sig without power loss or switch tranfer that would have resulted in loss of power to house, it has to be at Dec Maker I would think. You are saying front panel reset switch and would that initiate a start sig without a sig from the ATS?
Thanks again
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35:34 PM
Registered-III

The remote start wires would not affect the starting system itself - that is a function of the controller.

You need to check the K1 and K2 relays on the board to make sure they are not bad, as in welded or sticking contacts. Also check the reverse current diodes across the starter and starter solenoid. If these are shorted they can cause all sorts of issues with starting.

Also, are the remote start wires run in a common conduit with AC or battery charging wires? If so, you may have some induced current causing nuisance starts. There is an easy way to isolate this circuit with a simple 12VDC relay.

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 05:37:20 AM
Registered-I

Thanks LBW250!! Wires in its own control conduit I think but will make sure. Had my electrician Bro come and checked relay and it was ok so called Flight systems who were great with info and repair times. He said common prob with FET's in this logic board and after repair with different parts, has not seen one go in the last 4 yrs. Figured rather than buying new for 700.00 with weak FET's, send it in with front alarm board and get fixed with 1yr warrenty for 250-300 for logic board and 125.00 if alarm board is bad. It burnt out third starter when it did this but at least we now know why which can be hard being intermittant, though clue was that it kept turning over instead of going to overcrank fault. It uses a 87 ford ranger starter thats only 60.00 but though I might be able to get a hi performance starter, at least being weak, it did not take out my ring gear so I will replace with same starter. Think I should try to get new diode at the solenoid just in case if I can find one from Kohler or is it a common diode listed by rating? Thanks for all the help from those on this site. This whole ordeal was not cheap but could have been worse and knowledge is key. learned a lot about the DEC 3 plus my Bro has the same 30RZ282 so we both gain.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:20:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,154 Times in 914 Posts

Thanks for the update, please let us know how it works out.

Ike
Old 03-03-2013, 10:35:32 AM
Registered-I

Update: Flight systems tech emailed and said during testing my control board screwed up only once but bad it was and said to contact him direct if any problems. Great service from Flight systems repair took one day + 4 days up and back shipped from MA. repair price as advertized. System up and running!
The Following User Says Thank You to tunafishhkg For This Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 10:43:56 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,060 Posts

The folks at Flight Systems are top shelf
Glad they helped you get your problems fixed
Old 11-24-2018, 04:55:03 PM
Registered

Would this board also caused the generator when trying to start only start for one to 2 seconds turn off and repeat over and over? I replaced every sensor I can find and the only thing left is the mainboard. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:49:04 PM
Registered-II

You probably should have started a new thread for this. Might get more/better answers that way.

It sounds like you are tripping out on something. My first thought would be overcrank, but 2 seconds is way too short for that. Have you checked that your battery is ok? Iíve seen weird things happen before when the DC voltage drops too much during cranking and the controller gets messed up.

Bill