Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler 12 Res Natural Gas Gen OS fault

this thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 5364 times

Old 05-09-2015, 12:07:31 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,323 Times in 859 Posts
Default Re: Kohler 12 Res Natural Gas Gen OS fault

It's probably measured either by the output frequency or the ignition system. I doubt there is a sensor, and even if there is, I would seriously doubt it's giving a false reading. Most likely, it's over speeding, next would be control malfunction, last would be the sensor.

If it is sensing the AC output directy, and it is for SURE not overspeeding, i'd check to see if anything is causing the AC output to be excessivly......dirty?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2015, 09:34:09 AM
Email NOT Working

According to this:

http://www.kohlerpower.com/onlinecat.../tp6196.pdf#57

It is a mag pickup. It says to measure the gap by pulling the blower housing but that is such a pain I would try and figure a way to scope it or something. At least you can check the wiring from the pickup to the controller.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:11:23 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,154 Times in 914 Posts

If you do pull the pickup, make sure to clean the tip, as metal shavings can build up on th tip and cause problems.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:21:40 PM
Registered-I

There is a small inspection window under the oil cooler. I can see the magnet on the flywheel. It seems pretty strong as my screwdriver stuck right to it. But it looks "crappy". For something that is supposed to not hit anything or wear on anything, it sure looks beat up. Now the question is, where is the speed pick up? Are there instructions somewhere on how to change that? It looks like the pickup might be on the opposite side from the oil cooler (ie the right side when looking toward muffler). As suggested above, it looks like a pain to get everything out of the way. Best if I had full instructions.

Also, to clarify some of the questions above, there is no possibility to get any frequency reading as the unit does not run that long. Only a second or so. What does "run by hand mean"? When I try to run it, I use the manual run switch right on the unit, not the control on the transfer switch.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:42:58 PM
Registered-I

Ok.. I found the speed sensor, but there is no way to get it out unless you take the fan shroud off which seems impossible without taking the wall down which means you have to take the half completely apart. Really? Say it an't so!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:08:05 AM
Email NOT Working

Yes you have to take the wall down, and it is a big hassle. But not that big, just label where the wires and hoses go.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:21:52 AM
Registered-I

Thanks... lets just hope that will fix the problem... I'll do that later this week/weekend...
Old 05-12-2015, 11:09:36 AM
Registered-I

How do I actually know that the speed sensor is actually bad? There are suggested tests (>1.7 volts while cranking) but that does not make sense from an engineering point of view. I assume that the speed sensor sends pulses to the control board and these are very accurately and quickly timed to adjust the step motor for the throttle. If the control board lost its mind, you could have the same condition... No? I don't have a scope, but that would be nice. Any ideas on how to ensure it is the pick up and not the control board?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:10:49 PM
Email NOT Working

I like the good ole BK Precision dual trace scope, and I see them on ebay for less than 150 bucks all the time. I carry mine around in my truck and even though many tests could be accomplished without it, it is extremely easy to use and see what is going on directly. So I say just go buy one and play with it, and you will find other uses for it shortly.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:24:40 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,323 Times in 859 Posts

If the sensor makes voltage it is good. It just can't fail many ways. It's just a magnet with wire wrapped around it. They either go open, or they get damaged by something hitting them(and go open). It's a tiny AC generator. The voltage check is just to make sure it's close enough to the flywheel. I suppose you could check the frequency, but if you could do that, maybe you would of checked the output frequency a long time ago

In any case, the sensor may STILL not have anything to do with the overspeed sense. A lot of times they just drive the governor.