Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

My First Kohler - 6R0Y61

this thread has 135 replies and has been viewed 6171 times

Old 06-28-2018, 10:03:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,306 Times in 1,669 Posts
Default Re: My First Kohler - 6R0Y61

The Dayton/Generac I revived had the same issue...POOR cooling system maintenance. It only had 260 hours on it but the water pump ($400) all the freeze plugs and the radiator (I was able to patch it up but over $1000 new) were shot. I think a water cooled engine is way better running than just sitting.
That is the MAIN reason I sold it and found my Air-Cooled JB. One Major thing less to worry about, no belts, no hoses, no thermostats, no radiator, no water pump.
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2018, 09:10:53 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,713 Posts

As posted several days ago, the Yanmar diesel motor is completely apart down to the bare block. Aside from the physical damages to the block, the motor had to be totally disassembled to be cleaned as water and crap contaminated every component inside the block. Unless the block and internal components are completely cleaned and cylinder(s) sleeved, it is junk. Several here posted about threading the drilled hole in the cylinder, inserting a plug, bore/grind what is needed to be machined and hope it works. That is great, but using that method is no guarantee and if it fails I would have wasted money and time on the gaskets, bearings, and seals that needed to be replaced. As many know I like to do the job right the first time or not at all.

Since the time this set arrived I've been pricing parts needed as well as machine work needed to get the Yanmar diesel working like new. I keep coming up to figures that far exceed to total value of this 6kw generator making it not economically feasible to fix. It is a shame since this set has only 63 hours on it although it is an early 2000's model. Many of the major components show no signs of wear that I can see.

What is the future of this Kholer? I have plans to use the outdoor enclosure for one of the other sets, and dismantled the rest of it. Whatever is junk such as the block will be brought to the recycling scrap yard. Other parts such as the injector pump, starter, alternator, and whatever will be inspected and stored away until someone needs a part that I have. Parts such as the meters will be used in my future projects to cut down on costs.

That's about it! It is a shame that one little mistake by a tech (or who ever decided to remove the freeze plug) can cause catastrophic failure in a matter of seconds by drilling too far and through the cylinder wall. It was an expensive and unfortunate situation for the original owner of this Kohler, but as they say, "Sh1T HapPenS".

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 07-04-2018, 11:31:50 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
What is the future of this Kholer? I have plans to use the outdoor enclosure for one of the other sets, and dismantled the rest of it. Whatever is junk such as the block will be brought to the recycling scrap yard. Other parts such as the injector pump, starter, alternator, and whatever will be inspected and stored away until someone needs a part that I have. Parts such as the meters will be used in my future projects to cut down on costs.

That's about it! It is a shame that one little mistake by a tech (or who ever decided to remove the freeze plug) can cause catastrophic failure in a matter of seconds by drilling too far and through the cylinder wall. It was an expensive and unfortunate situation for the original owner of this Kohler, but as they say, "Sh1T HapPenS".

JohnnyC
New Jersey
No worse than the four year old 25kW Generac standby set I took out of a $1.5M home in Terre Haute, IN due to the cost of replacing a failed ignition module. Generac charged around $2000 for the module, and once we factored in the expense of travel time, mileage and repair time we were close to 50% of the cost of a new unit.

We sold the customer a new unit and hauled the old one back to the shop.

I took the unit off the hands of my employer for nothing. They weren't going to put any money into it, and the likelihood of it providing spares for another customer were pretty slim.

I've been a Mercedes enthusiast/owner for nearly 30 years, and run a number of online forums and lists that include people from all over the world. I got a hold of a Mercedes shop owner I know in Australia and asked him if he had a source for Mitsubishi industrial engine parts. Understand that Generac bought this engine complete from Mitsubishi - Mitsubishi did not sell any versions of it in the US in either automotive or industrial versions, meaning that aftermarket parts were only available for it through Generac in the US.

Anyway, my Aussie MB buddy did, in fact, have an automotive electrical guy he worked with regularly, with whom he put me in touch.

Two weeks later I had a new ignition module for $USD 40 - including the shipping from Down Under - and a new 25kW standby set for my house.

Nice.

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 02:27:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,450 Posts

Rather than scrap the block, I wonder if someone would want to just patch the hole?
Old 07-04-2018, 08:48:51 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
Rather than scrap the block, I wonder if someone would want to just patch the hole?
At this point you really don't have much to lose other than the labor and a gasket set.

I would probably go for it.

Dan
Old 12-08-2018, 04:49:05 PM
Registered

Hi JohnnyC, Don't know if you're still working on your kohler, but I came across a place on craigslist that sells engines. They have a yanmar 3TNE78 for $1995. They're in Tennessee. Ph# 931-397-3969. Name- Chris. Good luck