Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

My First Kohler - 6R0Y61

this thread has 135 replies and has been viewed 6171 times

Old 11-26-2017, 06:57:37 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,897 Times in 2,967 Posts
Default Re: My FIRST Kohler - 6R0Y61

Could the cylinders be bored and sleeved back to standard?

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2017, 06:58:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,713 Posts

I am outside next to the Kohler. Our suspicion is correct. The freeze out plug adjacent to the cylinder hole is the only unpainted freeze out plug and the hole in the cylinder wall falls DIRECTLY dead center of the freeze out plug. I am almost certain that kohler tech accidently drilled a hole through the cylinder wall when he replaced the freeze out plug. I will post pictures in 2 or 3 hours. I got to go to dinner now. I am late.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 07:42:54 PM
Email NOT Working

I'm with Elden...if it is a drill hole, sleeve the cylinder. May not be "economical" in terms of total value of the machine but I know you like doing this stuff and it would be fun and educational.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 07:47:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,315 Posts

Ding!
You now have a $1 fix for the block that will run forever. Other than a $billion in gaskets and misc little bits that is. Let's hope the bottom end is good. Also hope that El idioto didn't drill into the rings on the piston. But as big as that drill hole is I doubt if the thing ran more than 20 seconds before it puked coolant everywhere at 300 psi.

Removing a freeze plug (core plug) is easy. Just drill a center hole through it *and not the block,, then run a coarse wood screw or self tapper into the plug. Sllide hammer it out in 3 seconds, bada bing.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:25:00 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,040 Posts

I had to sleeve a 4.3 Chevy block for a friend. He ran a crop dusting service, had one of his men replace a freeze plug, drilled through the cylinder. A worker in one of the local chemical plants was installing .030" insulation sheeting on a high pressure line, drilled a hole through the schedule 80 pipe and shut the plant down, no one was injured. Common sense isn't always that common.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:33:07 PM
Subscriber

DONT give up yet Johnny. You can do it. It could be costly though. Maybe put up a go fund me page on your face book like all the millennia's do when their car breaks down. I would certainly contribute if it was set up via pay pal. And if you sell it for a profit, maybe send it to Harry to help pick up the slack a bit. Whatayathink guys, anybody in for a gamble ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikey NY For This Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 08:52:24 PM
Subscriber

Pictures of my hole with explanations:

In the first picture below I show the distance of the drilled hole in the cylinder wall to the block deck. It is about 2". It was hard to hold the ruler, flashlight and snap a picture with my dumb smart phone.

The second picture shows the unpainted freeze out plug. Look at that! It is also about 2" from the center of the freeze out plug to the deck. It is also the ONLY unpainted freeze out plug, so I am sure the original freeze plug was replaced and one way to remove freeze out plugs is to drill the center of the plug and using a slide hammer with a machine screw tip screwed into the drilled hole, you pull it out.

Like "I Like Old Stuff", I believe the Kohler technician accidently drilled through the old freeze out plug, and through the cylinder wall by mistake. It was a costly mistake, but I doubt if the original owner knows really what happened. Maybe RMAK will inform the original owner of the latest findings.

I included a third picture below to show all the other freeze out plugs are painted.

It was mentioned that the block could be machined for a new sleeve. Also, there was question if the technician also drilled into the piston? Is this genset worth saving? It actually goes beyond what was mentioned. This Kohler will need a new radiator and new hoses. The radiator is plugged full of crap. The cost for all new gaskets and parts make cost big $$$. Also, the other two cylinders will require boring since the cylinder walls are a little rough from all the crap. This may mean over sized pistons or at the very least new rings. I think the cost will out weigh the total value of the genset at this point.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	297066   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	297067   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	297068  
Old 11-26-2017, 09:29:33 PM
Email NOT Working

You are correct it is not economical to do major repair on any of these small Japanese diesels.

You just replace them and that way you get a factory built new exchange and don't have to worry about any of your own machining mistakes or whatever.

I just thought you might like it as a little project. Maybe not so little. Depends on your budget for playing I guess. Educational, not economical.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:41:32 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt View Post
You are correct it is not economical to do major repair on any of these small Japanese diesels.

You just replace them and that way you get a factory built new exchange and don't have to worry about any of your own machining mistakes or whatever.

I just thought you might like it as a little project. Maybe not so little. Depends on your budget for playing I guess. Educational, not economical.
Although the motor only has 63 hours on it, it will need a total rebuild. I mentioned yesterday about how clean the oil is and as if it was changed yesterday. It also had new filters. I wonder what the old oil looked like? Was there coolant in the old oil and if so did it cause damage to the main and rod bearings? I did mention that it appears no oil was seen under the rocker cover. All bone dry and like new! Yet, the motor did build oil pressure when I was cranking it after purging all the water from the hydrolocked cylinders.

I looked on ebay for Yanmar motors. They are out there, but not my model. Regardless, I am seeing prices from $2,500 and up. I did see cores for sale. I have no idea why someone would buy core since you may never know what went wrong to the motor.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 11-26-2017, 10:31:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,315 Posts

Pull the pistons and a main cap or two to check out the bottom end. Run a hone through the cylinders and see how they clean up. At that point you can make the fix or forget decision. Brass radiator tanks? If so unsolder one then you can clean the radiator out.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post: