Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler S800 Electric Plant

this thread has 54 replies and has been viewed 1937 times

Old 10-02-2018, 07:34:54 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Kohler S800 Electric Plant

Where do I find one of those?

I do have to again thank you for all of your help and.kmowledge.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2018, 02:34:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,450 Posts
Default Re: Kohler S800 Electric Plant

So the coil got hot, eh? Maybe shorted turns. I'd have figured it would burn out pretty quickly in that case.

Did the relay pull in? Did you try pushing the relay in while the set was running?

My thought would be to rewind the bad coil. Mic the existing wire diameter. I can measure the resistance of mine (assuming it's the same!), then we can calculate the length of wire required. Then just wind it all on and put some nice cloth friction tape over it.

Terminal #1 is battery negative, on mine at least. You'll have to trace out the wiring and see what is different. It might explain why your choke is not working.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:28:33 AM
Registered

Well this is a little past my skill level here.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:52:14 AM
Registered-III

If you know the coil is bad remove it from the armature and slice it.
If it's glued together burn it to free the wires ( but don't let them turn into a hair ball!!!!! ) count the ends on one side and you know exactly how many turns you need for the new coil.

Build a jig on a wooden block and set up a drill to turn slowly and be very careful to count your turns.

Pour some fiberglass epoxy resin over this when done and you have as good or better than the original.

Heat the tip of a wire from the coil red hot to burn off any varnish and carefully mic it.
take the handful of copper too a local motor rewind shop and they will sell you some wire ( most guys are very receptive to helping you if you bring coffee and doughnuts for them ).
They might also be willing to sell you some DMD ( phase paper ) insulating material to insulate the coil from the armature.
But anything will probably work just fine from a thin sheet of Mylar to just about any flexible plastic thick film you have.
This coil will not get hot enough to worry about insulation classes.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:25:49 PM
Subscriber

If you're not sure, lets step back a bit, and start with the basics before tearing into anything. You can pick up some of the needed skills as you go along.

These controllers are not the simplest pieces of equipment to troubleshoot, but they are merely several very simple circuits all working together. The trick is to divide and conquer.

There are only three relays, and since we know it will automatically sense a load, crank, and start, we know two of them are working.

Since yours is necessarily at least slightly different than mine, and because there is some question as to the wiring on the engine side, I would start there, tracing out all five (six?) wires to where they go.

Also- Do you have a multimeter?

Keith
Old 10-03-2018, 03:48:42 PM
Registered

Yes I do have a good multimeter. What I will do is take a picture of the wiring and post it once I start to look into it. My father in law is an old electrician and might be interested in helping me so hopefully he can lend a hand with learning about this.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:35:22 PM
Registered

Alright, I put the yellow wire back where it was and disconnected the other wire that was floating around unhooked before. So now the autostar does not work, but it runs as it should all works fine . It governs itself to around 113v or so. I have to have the wooden safety switch pulled out cause when I connect the battery it wants to start whether there is a load or not. I added the photo of the yellow wire connection (just temporary to test it) and there is a small wire thay goes from the shunt coil to the one in the left that is disconnected also
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181003_180342.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	320120   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181003_180346.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	320121  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:07:25 PM
Subscriber

Well, to start with, I'll post the schematic that I sent, so that others can follow along and help too.

I'll look at it some more when I get a chance later on. But the yellow wire appears to bypass the generator relay, as we had suspected.

Disconnecting it's shunt coil is good as well, under the circumstances. Still, if you want to run it without the controller, there are better ways.

Since you have the generator relay shunt coil disconnected, please measure it's resistance. That seems a good place to start.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kohler Model D Schematic, 1929.pdf (100.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-04-2018, 06:12:37 PM
Registered

Like I said before I am new to electrical projects, so I hope I measured it correctly. If so it had 25 ohms.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:54:33 AM
Subscriber

Ok, no problem. As long as at least one end of the coil was disconnected from the rest of the circuit, and your meter is zero-ed and reasonably accurate, the reading should be good.

25 ohms is way too low for a 110 volt coil though. That would be over 400 watts! I'd expect several hundreds of ohms at least. Makes me wonder if it isn't a 24 volt coil from a cranking relay. But seems low even for that. I'll go out and see if I can get some readings from some of mine and report back.

Ok, the cranking relay measures ~46 ohms, so that isn't what your coil is from. My generator relay shunt coil measures ~1446 ohms, a much more realistic figure for a coil that is to be connected across 110 volts continuously. That works out to around 8 watts.

Now we know for sure that your coil is bad and needs to be rewound. As stated, it's really easy to do as it is litterally just a spool of wire.

Let's try an experiment though. With the bypass wire removed, and everything reconnected as it should be EXCEPT one end of the bad coil (just tape it or otherwise insulate it). Connect the battery and connect your load. I gather at this point that it will automatically crank and start. When it does start, manually push in the generator relay armature, pushing just above the coil with a stick or other insulator (so you don't get zapped).

At this point your load should get power, and the cranking relay should drop out. This will help us to determine if most of the other wiring is still properly connected and functioning.