Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

What can you tell me about this model?

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 1452 times

Old 10-09-2018, 02:05:20 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: What can you tell me about this model

Remove the control box cover and turn it over. Most have a schematic glued there. zuhnc
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2018, 10:00:18 PM
eMail NOT Working

Default Re: What can you tell me about this model?

Hi Wingnut!

Yep, you bagged a good one there. If you've already pulled the head and committed to lapping the valves, you'll have it running great with no problems- they're great to work on. Check the valve spring tension- if those valves have been stuck open for a long time, they may be a little SAGGY. These don't turn fast, so you probably won't float a valve, but it might respond to more enthusiastic springdom.

Pull the pan and scrub it out good, and clean out the cooling passages with a long piece of stiff wire, flush it out good, scrub the crud out of the combustion chambers, clean the carb, put a hot mag on it, and it'll wake right up.

If it's still got the Selenium rectifier bridge powering the field, change it out for a modern 30A 1kv bridge rectifier, and you'll never have to worry about it again. ;-)

Clean the commutator, make sure the brushes move freely, and call it good.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:39:40 AM
Registered-I

Got all the valves unstuck and moving freely. Once the valve spring compressor makes an appearance, the valves will be taken out and lapped. Also reset the points on he magneto and now have a good spark if hooked up to a regular sparkplug. However, the shielded plugs are fed the spark thru a 15k resistor in the magneto, so the spark isn't quite so intense on the shielded plugs.
The carburetor has been taken apart and cleaned up, and the fuel pump seems to work well as is. Next I will left the engine and generator off the oil pan and take a look at how bad the sludge is down there. Need to rig up something to lift the engine/generator, or tip it over on it's side.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:55:25 PM
eMail NOT Working

Did I read that right... there's a 15k resistor in the magneto's cap?

Typically, a magneto will run solid core wires and no resistor type plugs... this is because the magneto's operation uses a static magnetic field (the spinning rotor inside a permanent field) rather than an electrically-built (primary winding) field... the field thus doesn't 'collapse', it has to be 'broken' through the contact points... that being the case, resistance in the wires or plugs will force the output voltage to climb HIGHER than it would with solid/non resistance. The magneto's performance is better taking advantage of the magneto's ability to create very high current at the moment of corona, rather than just going wild with voltage (as a battery/coil arrangement can do). It's the HEAT of the spark that causes ignition of the fuel, not the voltage... (you only need enough voltage to incite corona at the electrode under maximum compression... after that, it's CURRENT flowing across the gap that causes heat to ignite the mix)

The reason for shielding the cap and wires, is primarily to prevent radio interferance. Marine engines in offshore applications utilize MF and HF bands... 2182khz being the distress/calling frequency for many years... by putting shielding over the wires and plugs, it kept lots of the RF noise 'trapped' inside. If you're not concerned about RFI, you can run with ordinary wires and plug caps. The resistance at 15k isn't enough to cause a noticeable loss of spark energy... my gut says that something else is awry.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:33:31 PM
Registered-I

There is a component located in the removable part of the Bosch magneto that bridges the output of the magneto to the distributor. It is removable and almost looks like a fuse (non see thru) and measures at 15K. If the shielded setup gives me problems, the option of going to regular wires and plugs is nice, but until then, the present setup will stay. It seems to deliver a nice spark to the shielded plugs.
If it becomes necessary to convert to conventional wires and plugs, is there a danger of damaging the magneto, because of the change in the resistance of the spark circuit?
Old 10-25-2018, 12:05:15 PM
Registered-I

I tried running this set with the shielded plug set up but the plugs are questionable. What I would like to do is use regular plugs (Champion J8) and cables. As mentioned in a previous post, there is a 15k resistor incorporated into the magneto head, would this reduce the spark energy on the regular plugs. Would it damage the magneto, to short out this resisitor.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:36:32 PM
Registered-I

Its been a few years since I had the Bosch apart.
I don't recall a resistor.
Carbon stud or similar.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:49:40 AM
Registered-I

Well, the Kohler is alive and well and producing power. I replaced the shielded plug wire system with carbon core wires and regular plugs (yeah, I know, should be solid core wire, will get there eventually), cranked it and she fired right up. First thing she did was blow an and old dried up bird out the exhaust and up against the ceiling. This thing really sucks back the fuel at full load. Had it going for about half an hour with almost 5kw load. Then changed out the oil, drained the water, and refilled the rad with distilled water and antifreeze, good for -30C.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181106_145541389.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	322308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181106_145554858.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	322309  
Old 11-15-2018, 11:47:25 PM
Registered-I

I have been looking for the optional oil filter adapter plate, but have come up empty. Our local muffler shop had a removable oil filter base that he said was from a Chev. With a little elbow grease, welding, and plumbing, this is the result. The generator ran for about 15 minutes, unloaded, and found no leaks, filter heated up, so the oil was circulating. I did have to up the oil pressure to get it back to around 20 psi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181106_145541389.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	322962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181115_093800406.jpg
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	322963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181115_100047904_HDR.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	322964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181115_101101820.jpg
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	322965  
Old 11-16-2018, 02:20:23 PM
Registered-II

Make sure you have a 1/16" oil restriction before or after the filter.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Sams For This Post: