Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler k301 diy oil pump and filter

this thread has 30 replies and has been viewed 1076 times

Old 11-19-2018, 09:21:01 PM
Registered

Default Re: Kohler k301 diy oil pump and filter

I just did oil yesterday went from 15-40 to straight 30.Right now I'm too broke to invest in this project but I have been gathering up stuff, Chevy oil pump. Furnace oil injection pump. Hmmm. Was thinking of a timer at the end of day shut down set the timer and the pump say 10 ish min runs off starting battery. Not sure more brain storming to be done.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2018, 09:57:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,450 Posts

Diesel oil actually tests considerably lower than most other oils in terms of film strength. Diesel engines do have larger forces at work inside, but they also have much larger working surfaces.

I'd imagine that a low revving, low power density engine as this will not exceed the film strength of any decent oil. Being air cooled, I'd think that break down due to high temperature would be more of a concern.

Another benefit of adding a pump and a nice big filter is extra oil capacity and surface area, keeping the oil cooler.

The oil test data is a ways down in this blog. If you already know that oils have more than just one additive, you can skip over the first part.

540ratblog.wordpress.com
Old 11-20-2018, 09:16:08 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
Diesel oil actually tests considerably lower than most other oils in terms of film strength.
I'd imagine that a low revving, low power density engine as this will not exceed the film strength of any decent oil. Being air cooled, I'd think that break down due to high temperature would be more of a concern.

540ratblog.wordpress.com
I'm not so sure about that.

The T in Rotella T stands for turbo and those are screaming hot.
The high compression ratios high dirt level all lead me to think the diesel oil probably well fortified for a job like this.
Small engines get hot but they get dirty too you want to keep all that dirt in suspension for an oil change rather than let it settle out.

I read that paper before and it did not change my opinion too much.
I will read it again and think some more Vanman.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:34:06 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,040 Posts

Have an oil analysis done, it will tell if your wasting money or using it to the max.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:47:14 AM
Registered

I'm just guessing but I d say this motor has got an easy life. It's running loaded with I'm guessing maybe 3500 watt gen. When I set the rpm by cycles to my load, it is hovering around 59 to 60. When the batteries are charged it goes to 61 ish. Only the sewer pump or vacuum pulls it down to 58. But I have to unplug another load only because I don't trust the crappy over length light duty extension cord. That 5 hp Honda I used pre Kohler the cycles would very greatly often hovering around 58 most of the time. As far as the heat is concerned when you shut down it's not clicking and ticking like an engine just run hard cutting grass for several hours in the hot summer sun. You bearly hear the motor grunt when I plug my loaded house power cord in. The Honda not so much.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:03:30 PM
Subscriber

I don't have much experience with the larger air cooled Kohlers, but I get the impression that they're well made, heavy cast iron engines, perhaps like a Wisconsin.

Newoldstock, about the oil, I don't recall exactly which diesel oils were tested. I want to say it was DELO, probably Delo 400 15w-40. Delo 100 is generally regarded as the best oil for Detroits, but this is due to it's lowest ash content. I do not think he tested any of the Diesel oils for thermal breakdown. I'm sure all of those name brand diesel oils are indeed good oils, especially for the unique demands of diesel engines, such as soot. But here again, even a turbocharged diesel has gallons of oil in it instead of quarts, lots of circulation, large filters and bypass filters, and an oil to water oil cooler. My NH Cummins takes something like 8 or 9 gallons including main filter and Lubrifiner bypass filter. All that for 220 hp. Water temperature never goes over ~175. That oil has a pretty easy life! Granted it's not a modern high hp diesel. I don't think these oils would be my first choice for a high revving, high hp, flat tappet, pushrod race engine with big heavy valve springs.

Per the guy's testing, I have settled on Castrol GTX 5w-30 for most everything around here. Very high film strength and a high thermal breakdown temp. But some air cooled engines burn multigrade oils and smoke, so a straight weight is better there. The Cummins gets Delo 400 sae 30 as some old diesels also like to drink multigrades...
Old 11-20-2018, 01:53:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,040 Posts

Gasoline oils have reduced or eliminated the zinc and phosphate additives necessary for flat tappet cam protection, they use roller cams and rockers so it's not as critical, there are oils available for classic cars.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:05:58 PM
Registered

For what its worth, I have a K181? 8 HP running at about 800 RPM for 29 years driving a pump. I did not set it up that way, it should have used a gear reduction. Nevertheless, so much for a minimum speed splashing the oil.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Crenshaw For This Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 04:22:54 PM
Subscriber

This substantiates my long held theory that oil is going to splash around at any working speed.

Modern oils are actually necessarily fully backwards compatible, having oodles of additives besides just zinc and are far and away better than anything that existed back when flat tappets were the norm. Film strength is what keeps parts safely separated. Some of the oils on that list deliver truly incredible results!
Old 11-20-2018, 06:33:06 PM
Subscriber

Back in the early 50s I worked on engines before there was deturgent oil and the black sludge that collected up in the top.of a Chev rockercver or a Ford center head was incredible . You had scape it out with a putyknife. And people changed there oil every 1000 miles. Modern oils are much better.