Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler 20RESCL

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 552 times

Old 11-19-2018, 12:29:03 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Kohler 20RESCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrattDave View Post
Bill, I would appreciate any information you can get on this, I need all the help I can get.

Dave
I checked this morning, the answer I got when asking which of the residential gensets was pushing the engine a bit hard and consuming oil was “I know exactly which one you mean, it was the 30RES”. So 20kw units are ok.

I agree with others that the liquid cooled 1800 RPM units are far and away better than the 3600RPM air cooled units. Older used liquid cooled sets will outlast brand new air cooled units. If you have the skills to fix up and maintain the older units you can get a better genset for the same or less money than new.

The air cooled residential sets are cheap though (relatively), and can do ok if not run hard. I wouldn’t expect any of the resi sets to do their full rated capacity for very much time in a long outage.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2018, 01:11:19 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr7 View Post
I checked this morning, the answer I got when asking which of the residential gensets was pushing the engine a bit hard and consuming oil was ďI know exactly which one you mean, it was the 30RESĒ. So 20kw units are ok.
Bill
The Kohler 30RES was known to use oil. It is a liquid cooled, 3600RPM small 4cyl. Kohler learned this lesson and now run liquid cooled units at 1800. I mention this because Generac has several 3600 liquid cooled models. They all, including the Kohler, are screaming demons.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:00:53 PM
Email NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dieckmann View Post
The Kohler 30RES was known to use oil. It is a liquid cooled, 3600RPM small 4cyl. Kohler learned this lesson and now run liquid cooled units at 1800. I mention this because Generac has several 3600 liquid cooled models. They all, including the Kohler, are screaming demons.
The 3600 RPM 30RES is ancient history now. It is, AFAIK, the only liquid cooled Kohler ever ran at 3600.

Onan did it with several models, abandoned that long ago, ask Billy about that one, and Generac still does it.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:33:15 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt View Post
The 3600 RPM 30RES is ancient history now. It is, AFAIK, the only liquid cooled Kohler ever ran at 3600.

Onan did it with several models, abandoned that long ago, ask Billy about that one, and Generac still does it.
There is also the Kohler 30RYG. That was an oil user too I’m told. Onan I think tried it on the 30EK?

As I understand it, there were only a few 3600RPM sets like that. Usually liquid cooled is also 1800RPM. The 3600RPM stuff is usually cheap air cooled residential and portable stuff where the higher speed allows cheaper/lighter engines and generator ends (2 pole).

I prefer the longevity of the slower speed units, but sometimes I get asked about resi stuff and there just isn’t much in the way of low-speed options for that market at a price people will pay.

Bill
Old 11-19-2018, 03:08:44 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
They make their own generator engines.
Chinese
Made by Sumec Machinery & Electric Co. Ltd., of China

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/ko...ble-generators

What else is Chinese is very hard to say.
You have to research this if its important to you.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:42:24 PM
Subscriber

Bill, thanks for the advice. I picked the 20kw model with the knowledge that it will not be loaded to more than 1/2 its rating. Most of my appliances are gas and I won't need to run the elec. dryer. - Checked prices on 22 kw Kohler liquid cooled 1800 rpm (smallest one) and it is slightly more than twice the 20RES. Just out of my price range. I appreciate all your guys help.

Dave
Old 11-19-2018, 10:33:12 PM
Email NOT Working

Quote:
There is also the Kohler 30RYG. That was an oil user too Iím told. Onan I think tried it on the 30EK?

As I understand it, there were only a few 3600RPM sets like that. Usually liquid cooled is also 1800RPM. The 3600RPM stuff is usually cheap air cooled residential and portable stuff where the higher speed allows cheaper/lighter engines and generator ends (2 pole).

I prefer the longevity of the slower speed units, but sometimes I get asked about resi stuff and there just isnít much in the way of low-speed options for that market at a price people will pay.

Bill
I believe the 30RYG (old nomenclature) and the 30RES (new nomenclature) were the same thing.

As for the price of liquid cooled 4 pole, adjusted for inflation they cost about the same now as they did then. The air cooled 2 pol product is just aimed at a different market segment, but if it is the kind of person that would have bought a liquid cooled 20 years ago then they still should get liquid cooled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newoldstock View Post
Chinese
Made by Sumec Machinery & Electric Co. Ltd., of China

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/ko...ble-generators

What else is Chinese is very hard to say.
You have to research this if its important to you.
What I meant was that the home standby line is all Kohler made engines from the small to the very large. Or General Motors. I don't really deal with portables other than to say, buy Honda.

Now some of Kohler's parts/engines may be made in China but it is in a Kohler factory if it is. They are a large and capable company, they can build a factory if they want to.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:43:39 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
I believe the 30RYG (old nomenclature) and the 30RES (new nomenclature) were the same thing.

As for the price of liquid cooled 4 pole, adjusted for inflation they cost about the same now as they did then. The air cooled 2 pol product is just aimed at a different market segment, but if it is the kind of person that would have bought a liquid cooled 20 years ago then they still should get liquid cooled.
The two 30s might be the same. I’ve never worked with either and have never really looked into it.

I agree about the market segments. Generac identified a market for inexpensive, permanently installed residential gensets. Everyone else wanted to get in on the action. Now we have lots of permanently installed 3600RPM air cooled gensets out there. For many people they are probably a good option. Myself, I want to know that if we’re out of power for a week, my generator will be able to run through it all. I have my nice 20RZ and keep it maintained :-)

The things I see that make me wonder are generacs (resi ones) installed on fire stations and other things that should really have a proper liquid cooled set.

Bill
Old 11-19-2018, 11:52:43 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
There is also the Kohler 30RYG. That was an oil user too Iím told. Onan I think tried it on the 30EK?
Bill
No, the 30ek, was a 1800 rpm set
Here is link to the data plate of my 30ek, with a Ford 240 straight 6 engine

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/attac...9&d=1541383254

The high speed 3600 rpm Onan's were called the "techstar" line.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:16:20 AM
Email NOT Working

I saw one Onan Techstar that was a slant 6. Ugliest generator I think I saw, it was from a salt air roof in the Bay Area and the pigeons thought it was their outhouse.

I think there were diesels as well.