Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler 20resc Natural gas

this thread has 71 replies and has been viewed 1691 times

Old 12-02-2018, 03:08:01 PM
Registered

Smile Re: Kohler 20resc Natural gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr7 View Post

Where does the regulator heater mount? Iíve never used one of those.

Bill
Bill- Here are some pics. The orange spongy looking thing is the heater. It is supposed to stick on the back of the regulator. The adhesive wasn't very sticky on the one I bought so I shimed it with that white piece (Azek, plastic wood) to keep it in place against the regulator. I used double sided tape to make sure my shims don't move.

Kris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181202_134242.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	323849   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181202_134250.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	323850  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2018, 07:51:08 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Kohler 20resc Natural gas

Interesting. I’ve never seen one of those regulator heaters before.

I’m familiar with Azek and have looked at using it for some window trim on my house. I’ve looked at Versatex too, and I think they’ve recently been bought by Azek. Versatex makes a nice soffit system.

I’d keep an eye on that double sided tape. It might degrade from the heat, maybe. Some double sided tape seems to be of pretty crappy quality, IMHO.

Bill
Old 12-02-2018, 08:06:14 PM
Registered

Quote:

Iím familiar with Azek and have looked at using it for some window trim on my house. Iíve looked at Versatex too, and I think theyíve recently been bought by Azek. Versatex makes a nice soffit system.
Home Depot carries ( I forgot the name ) a cheaper version of Azek. I have used both and don't see a difference except the other brand is half the price of Azek. It's the only thing I would use on the exterior of a home. Doesn't rot and no maintenance. If it gets dirty spray a little chlorox and hit it with a garden hose.

Quote:
Iíd keep an eye on that double sided tape. It might degrade from the heat, maybe. Some double sided tape seems to be of pretty crappy quality, IMHO.
Bill
I used the 3M double sided tape. I have used it manny times before and it is a high quality tape. Although, like everything else I will check it at intervals.

Kris
Old 12-05-2018, 07:06:08 PM
Registered

Update: It was 29 degrees this morning. The carb heater seems to be working. The fuel pressure regulator heater does not. I have called the place I bought it from and they say Kohler wants pics and info as to what is wrong. The generator did start on the first try. I can't fit the filter on the other breather tube coming from the fuel pressure regulator , it's too big, so I found this breather vent and hose barb adapter. - Kris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181205_173656.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	324004   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181205_162037.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	324005  
Old 12-05-2018, 08:29:51 PM
Registered-II

If it started ok first try, why do you think there is a problem?

Iíve never seen a regulator heater before so Iím not so sure itís necassary. Carb heaters are pretty common. If the regulator heater is working, Iíd think youíd be able to feel it ó I donít know how warm it keeps things, but at the very least, Iíd expect the metal body of the regulator would not feel cold to the touch.

Bill
Old 12-05-2018, 09:19:04 PM
Registered

Bill - the regulator did feel cold to the touch and I pointed an infra-red temp gun at it and it read 29 degrees. Kris
Old 12-05-2018, 11:09:18 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krislu View Post
Bill - the regulator did feel cold to the touch and I pointed an infra-red temp gun at it and it read 29 degrees. Kris
Then Iíd guess one of two things: either itís not working, or it doesnt come on until something colder than 29 degrees. Check what temperature the heater is supposed to maintain, if itís higher than 29 degrees the you probably have a bad unit.

Check the easy stuff too, make sure itís plugged in and getting power. I once wasted days working on a genset just to find out it had a weak battery and I didnít think to check that first.

Bill
Old 12-06-2018, 09:58:59 AM
Registered

Quote:
Then Iíd guess one of two things: either itís not working, or it doesnt come on until something colder than 29 degrees. Check what temperature the heater is supposed to maintain, if itís higher than 29 degrees the you probably have a bad unit.

Check the easy stuff too, make sure itís plugged in and getting power. I once wasted days working on a genset just to find out it had a weak battery and I didnít think to check that first.

Bill
It's plugged in and the outlet does work. I checked Kohler's website and found this under the advertisement:
"Recommended for reliable engine starting in temperatures from -18į to -29įC (0į to -20įF). "
That statement was not from any specifications page. I ask the place bought it from to ask Kohler if there is a way to test it.

Kris
Old 12-06-2018, 01:52:46 PM
Registered-II

Sounds to me like the thermostat on that regulator heater wonít turn it on until itís even colder than 29 degrees.

You can probably test it with your freezer. Put the heater in your freezer for a while, then use a continuity checker (or ohmmeter) to test across the two flat prongs in the plug. If itís working, and the thermostat is cold enough from the freezer to ďturn onĒ, youíll see continuity or at least low-ish resistance. If you show an open, then itís either broken or not cold enough for the thermostat to turn on.

If you know your freezer temp is below the turn-on temp for the heaters thermostat, then an open means the heater is broken for this test.

Bill
Old 12-06-2018, 05:28:21 PM
Registered

Quote:
Sounds to me like the thermostat on that regulator heater wonít turn it on until itís even colder than 29 degrees.

You can probably test it with your freezer.

Bill
Awesome Bill, I never though of putting it in the freezer and I didn't know what temp it should turn on. I just thought 32 degrees it would turn on. I will try it and let you know. Thanks again

Kris