Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Frequently Asked Kohler Questions

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 35938 times

Old 12-21-2015, 11:25:16 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Frequently Asked Kohler Questions

You need to repost your question in the main forum. It won't get answered here.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2016, 11:38:29 AM
Registered

just installed a brand new 20resc natural gas generator, will not start on thursday it was 20 degrees out, so installed a carb heater and regulator heater, have not done nothing with the parameters any ideas thanks
Old 12-20-2016, 08:17:50 AM
Registered-III

You posted in the wrong thread, but I see you reposted in the main forum.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:08:01 PM
Registered

Hi everybody! I'm brand new on this forum. Kohler gen set is why I joined. Looking forward to interactions.

Here's the circumstance... regarding our 34' 1977 Tollycraft tri cabin pleasure boatís - 7.5 kW, 4 cyl. gasoline engine Kohler generator Ė Plate Stamps: Model 7.5A23 / Spec 10606A / Ser No 472424

I have two very accomplished Kohler service shops trying to locate parts for our [what I believe is the original] 1977 Kohler Gen Set. Its serial number 472424 leads to RV system; not a marine system such as ours obviously is.

I also contacted Kohler HQ. They put me in touch with their primary parts distributor... boatswainlocker.com. One of their parts persons is trying to make heads or tails of this unusual/misleading serial number 472424 situation and if parts can be located to match our gen set.

Long and the short of what is happening and why I need to find answers this condition as well as maybe parts for repair:

So far no one can make heads or tails about the numbers on the plate on our Kohler gen set [read above and see photo]. One of the service shops could only locate that it may be an RV gen set. Boatswain Locker's person kind of agreed it had RV background from running numbers off the plate. The Boatswain Locker person is now searching all avenues at Kohler HQ in attempt to locate parts for this gen set.

To let you know why I seek parts: The gasoline motor of the gen set is in fine running condition. However - the electricity generating portion has a progressive, increasing problem - it continues to loose voltage production capability. In that... it now only turns out +/- 105 volts. Circumstance that occurred when the voltage got this low was the gen set could still run all electric appliances on our boat [fully electric boat] but the 105V output can no longer activate the house bank battery charger. The batt charger turns out 13.5 to 14.5 amps on shore power but only .5 to 1 amp on gen set power [while on gen set it used to do same as shore power]. I've checked this carefully by utilizing an exact same type of charger [I have a spare] and got same difference in amperage capability per shore power compared to gen set power.

One smart person mentioned that the reason the plate #'s lead toward RV gen set avenues is due to PO having replaced the electric generating portion with similar unit from an RV Kohler gen set??? Pretty good guess if you ask me! But, so far still unable to locate rebuild parts for the electric generating portion.

Iím also in action of checking the regulator on gen set to see if it is the culprit. Also going to run tests on Hz and running RPM of engine to see if per chance the motorís accelerator/governor has become out of sync and maybe the problem is as simple as more RPM for more voltage???? That would be really nice!

Photos here are the gen set and its plate. If anyone has input regarding this dilemma of gen set reduced voltage problem as well as a way to locate parts availability off a statistic tag with numbers that make little sense regarding an obvious Kohler marine gen set... It Would be Much Appreciated!

Happy Gen Set Daze! - Thanks! Ė Art B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1977 Kohler Plate.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	297984   Click image for larger version

Name:	TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	297989  
Old 12-10-2017, 08:05:47 AM
Registered-III

Art,

You posted in the wrong thread. Create a new post in the main forum as most people won't see this one.

Some observations:

1.) Serial number means nothing. It's the spec or specification number that's used to identify the parts and type of unit.

2.) Based on the model number, the rest of the nameplate data appear to be correct. A 7.5A model would never be in an RV, it's a marine unit, the "A" indicating automatic or demand starting.

3.) There is no regulator in this unit. I suspect you have a bad selenium rectifier, a common problem in older rotating armature units. If you look in the controller and see a big square set of metal fins, you've got a selenium rectifier. The replacement part is about $25.00 in the aftermarket, Kohler's "kit" is far more expensive if it's still available. DO NOT run the unit with a bad rectifier. If it fails it will damage other, far more expensive parts.

4.) I haven't seen one of those mufflers in years. At one time I believe there was a recall on them due to cracking.

5.) Call Bay City Electric in San Diego about this. They're a legacy Kohler distributor and will know exactly what it is and how to identify parts. If your service people are trying to work off the serial number, they don't know what they're doing. Serial numbers don't mean squat on a Kohler, they're basically for identifying a specific unit and mean nothing relative to parts or how it's built.

Dan

Last edited by LWB250; 12-10-2017 at 08:17:58 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:35:45 PM
Registered

Thanks LWB!

Since posting I've been in touch with really in-tuned old-boy Kohler mechanics in New England. I've five procedures that include , rebuilds, new parts and clean ups. I'll also record your suggestions. Plan to post results I get when completed. Will be in January at earliest.

Happy Kohler Gen Set Daze - Art