Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

I went to check this truck out, what is it?

this thread has 85 replies and has been viewed 8760 times

Old 09-06-2017, 05:06:18 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: I went to check this truck out, what is it?

Not to side track this thread too badly, but here is some interesting history about Fageol. I'm into old outboard motors and recognized the name Fageol as a 1955 -57 outboard motor. The story... Mr. Lou Fageol was serious into inboard boat racing. In 1955 he had a boating accident at 120 MPH and while in the hospital conceived of a big 4 - cycle 40 HP outboard motor using a Crosley car engine sitting up on end. In 1958 Fageol died suddenly. By 1959 the Kent ON company was sold to Crofton Manufacturing Co in Los Angeles. I don't know how all this tied into the Twin Coach business but it sure sheds light on the unusual designs of Mr. Fageol's products.

Joe B
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2017, 05:56:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,158 Times in 628 Posts

I have had a person that works in our county clerk's office checking on the title of this truck and she thinks they went by motor #'s instead of vin #'s. She thinks the motor # 33688 is on the title and the title calls it a 1953 International and the guy bought it used in 1960. Did IH have a COE in 1953?

Last edited by Heins; 09-06-2017 at 05:57:50 PM. Reason: correct sp
Old 09-06-2017, 06:09:10 PM
Registered-I

I just used Wikipedia, and found several pictures of the, International Metro series trucks

It seem that that body style was used on several types of trucks, not just the van bodies

Certainly should be saved; as I don't recall seeing any, at shows.

rustynuts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1941_D15M_1 (1).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	290584  
Old 09-06-2017, 07:20:17 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,638 Times in 2,935 Posts

The story behind the Fageol Bros is very complicated indeed. Yes I read that they was into racing and boat motors. They also had something to do with the Divco delivery trucks. Similar to Kurt Baldwin, a restless innovator! IHC did offer a smaller COE truck in 36 that was very similar to the Metro series. No mention in my book as to it's ancestory. Being sold thru the IHC network they could well have been titled as Binders. Some of the info on that tag would be Wheel base, GVW for front and rear axles and possibly the HP and maybe even the IHC model designation, too bad its so faded.

---------- Post added at 06:09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heins View Post
Here is a picture of the other tag, the county clerk is trying to find the vin# for the truck to find out if it is a Fugeol.

The picture of the truck is a REO, was it part of the Fugeol family?
No question about it , that cab is a close relative. I believe that REO was one of the builders that purchased the base cab/chassis from IHC at one time, later I think they bought chassis from White. As did Hendrickson. The Autocar of the period bought base cab/ chassis from White, this was a common practice of the time for builders with limited facilities and production numbers. Others that followed that practice would be Brockway, Marmon, Trend, Western Star, to name a few. Mack supplied cabs for others as well, makes it kinda difficult to prove the pedigree of some of the lesser known brands. Now did IHC actually own Twin Coach or did they just contract with them?

---------- Post added at 06:20:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09:24 PM ----------

One thought on Titles, every state seems to follow their own different rules. Some use the Motor SN, some the chassis SN. Here on motor homes they issue a dual title that list the chassis as to Chev or whatever then they list a separate page for the buildr of the coach. Same way with busses, the coach may be ( for example) Superior but the motor vehicle title will be Chevy or Ford etc. Now Twin Coach being a coach supplier with a coach SN but the title may well be IHC from the factory.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:15:59 PM
Registered-III

You need to remember that Diamond T & Autocar as well as Freightliner & Western Star were under the White Moto umbrella. I am trying to remember when Diamond T & Reo merged.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:08:29 PM
One Millionth Post

I think that the Trend was under that White motor group as well but they used medium duty Chrysler drive trains. I was thinking that Reo and Diamond T joined some time in the late 50s or early 60s.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:23:13 AM
One Millionth Post

I was just thinking back to when as a teen, my neighbor and first serious employer on truck repairs. He had a pair of Hendricksons that he leased out to a local co that had a pair of Autocars. One Hendrickson had a Cummings diesel while the other had the 450 gas, I removed the gas as he was in the process of converting it to a diesel as well. We had the diesel motor ready to install when he had a change of location and hauled everything to southern Mo. Last I heard he retired and the project never went anywhere. The Autocars both had the Cummings engines and were early 60s vintage, they still exist at the old lot but all disassembled. He always referred to a tall cab over IHC he had back in the 50s, it had the sleeper bunk on top of the cab, to save on wheel base. It's nickname by the fellow drivers was the cherrypicker as you needed to climb a ladder to enter. So apparently IHC did offer more than one type coe tractor around then. Wonder who built the cab for it?
Old 09-07-2017, 09:21:04 PM
Registered-I

This 1950 Fageol Cargo Liner sure had a deluxe interior!

http://theoldmotor.com/wp-content/up...015/02/fa3.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to M.Canute For This Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 10:11:34 PM
One Millionth Post

Did they even have a bulkhead behind the drive to keep the cargo from covering him up in the event of a panic stop? I rather doubt that operator comfort was very high on the priority list!
Old 09-07-2017, 10:50:31 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schwiebert View Post
You need to remember that Diamond T & Autocar as well as Freightliner & Western Star were under the White Moto umbrella. I am trying to remember when Diamond T & Reo merged.
In the early years of Frieghtliner It was a proprietary truck designed & built to order for Consolidated Freightways. In the beginning it was totally owned by them & No one else could use or own a Freightliner.....Just like the brown UPS vans still are. It was only after Consolidated Freightways went belly up in the late 60's or early 70's, I believe, That White Motor Co. acquired the rights to the name Freightliner.