Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

'56 International 4WD Brush Truck Series S-140

this thread has 53 replies and has been viewed 19434 times

Old 04-05-2007, 12:32:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,743 Times in 855 Posts
Default Re: '56 International 4WD Brush Truck Series S-140

Ohhhhhhh! A bonie-fidee cheater then, eh??
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2007, 01:25:37 PM
Registered-I

Old Int brakes parts on a 50's Binder 4x4 can be fun. Is it a Napco conversion? more than likely so.If it were me I would inpsect the linings,brake drums,etc. The hydralics need to be rebuilt period, just from sitting. The master cyl and wheel cyl in this truck was to small from the factory to safely stop them at any speed.International had a habit of buying parts from the cheapest supplier. I don't care what the catalogs list, ya just never knew what you would find.When I worked on some (to much) of this stuff I would identify the master cyl,and upgrade. Heres the trick-have it bored and put a stainless steel sleeve in it or leave it standard so you know what you have. Generally the wheel cyl were ford items,good place to start. Just due to age and sitting I would recommend replacement of the steel brake lines. If you can find a NAPA store that knows how to read a catalog, not just a computer screen. Most of what will need is available from them.Hemmings motor news is a good place to look also. NAPCO conversions used alot of Studabaker brake parts. Generally they had a soft plug in the center of the brake shoe to actuate the adjuster on the frony brakes only. Personally I wound upgrade to a bungie cord rather than a chain. The stops are smoother-pete
Old 06-13-2007, 12:05:58 AM

Thanked 4,294,967,295 Times in 3,946 Posts

Still no brakes on the old girl, but after much trauma, we got it running today. It should be at Wauseon next week.

Beth
Old 06-22-2007, 04:11:49 PM
Registered-I

Hello I have worked on those for years, the thought comes to mind wondering if the check valve in the master cyl. is there and functioning.
There is nothing special about that system to cause what you have going on.
Good luck
Paul
Old 06-22-2007, 09:04:28 PM
Subscriber

I'm sure it is was and is a fabulous truck. There has been a lot of B.S. about these cornbinders on here so take all of it with a grain of salt. Same few had repeated failures....hmmmmmm.....Same old story

While I've not had a 140 series, I do know some of the components and they were great, particularly the engine. I'm pretty sure the brakes were fine too and will be again if you get them PROPERLY reworked.

Any highway speed limitation should be a result of low gearing, not bad quality of the components. Don't settle for anything less than a great working truck- perhaps slow but not because of poor component design.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:53:31 PM

Thanks, after further discussion with my brother, it appears that the entire brake system needs to be replaced. As Dad's health had declined, it never happened.

Hopefully, my husband will attack it this winter. He had a nice flatbed placed on it already.

Beth
Old 11-10-2007, 10:54:37 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,284 Times in 4,059 Posts
Question Re: '56 International 4WD Brush Truck Series S-140

Hi beth,
just checking to see if you got anything done on the S-140
Andrew
Old 11-21-2007, 10:26:58 PM
Registered-III

Beth,

For lots of information and help, you can visit the Triple Diamond Talk forum of the Binder Bulletin. That is perhaps the most helpful place for your particular truck.

Yes on Binder Books for all of the manuals. You will need the service manual to learn how things work and get fixed, and the parts manual to learn what parts are supposed to be in your truck.

Also, if you call Binder Books, you can order a new linesetting ticket for your truck. When the truck was built at the factory, the linesetting ticket went with it down the line to tell the folks what to put on the truck. The new owner got a copy of it. Whenever parts were needed, that linesetting ticket would tell the parts store what items fit your truck, and would supersede any listings in the parts book. You should get a copy of yours. Binder Books will get a copy printed from the old factory microfiche and have it mailed to you. I believe it costs something like $15. They can look up anything back to the 1960s, and most of the 1950s. The 1940s records are spotty but may be available. There is no way to tell unless you give them your serial number and try.

I believe Terry Dovre is the owner of Brake Systems, Incorporated in Portland, Oregon. He is a member of the local ATHS. He may not have the cylinders, but can get them rebuilt, and probably resleeved. That was my experience on a 1944 2 1/2-ton IHC truck that I worked on two years ago. My experience with the larger trucks is that the cylinders are not available and need to be resleeved to make them work. Terry does have rebuilt HydroVac units. If your truck has that, then I would bet that is the problem. One the ones I have seen, the diaphragm is usually bad. They have a wierd bleeding method too as I recall (one or two bleed screws on the master cylinder as I recall), which you will not necessarily know how to do unless you have the service manual.

As far as the factory using the cheapest suppliers available, I beg to differ. Delco ignitions and charging systems (just like GM and many other truck manufacturers for the last 80 years), Holley carbs (like Ford and virtually every other manufacturer at one time or another), their own engines (they are still one of the premier engine manufacturers), outsourced engines (such as Cummins, Lycoming, Continental, and Waukesha, none of which are slouches themselves), Leece-Neville charging systems (which were special options on some trucks), Eaton and Spicer axles (also some of the best), Tulsa, Koenig, and Ramsey winches (all of them premium winches), Fuller, Eaton, and Borg-Warner transmissions (used by virtually everyone), their own AC and refrigeration systems, and on and on. They used some of the best parts available. Anytime I have seen any variation on a truck from what is listed in the parts book, it is because some guy at some point long ago couldn't spend the money to get the right part and jerry-rigged something else to work to save a buck.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:38:07 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,284 Times in 4,059 Posts

For my L-120, it was a work horse! I used the tar out of that old truck! When it was built, a truck was a truck, not a glorified car with a bed on it! The old cornbinder was built to last! Granted I did a lot of work on it - BUT As I said before, it spent most of its second life at speeds its builders didn't dream of! This was its main cause of the extra maintainance. I simply exceeded its design parameters. If I drove it at 45, it would probably still be here. Check that last - if I did 45 on todays roads, I would probably be run over by a Semi within 30 seconds of hitting the pavement Like I posted before, too, Even with the abuse, the old girl still served for over290,000 miles +. You can't get that on the first pass with the new trucks!

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500. Body still good, but truck is on its 3rd frame, and at 180,000 mi, on its second trans, and that is on its way out. The rear is on its second carrier, and 3rd set of spiders ( They are noted for going bad).The engine and the rear itself, are about done as well. AND the interior is falling apart! I wish I had the old IHC back
Andrew
Old 11-25-2007, 10:37:17 AM

Thanks Colin. I'll have to order a copy. Unfortunately, my steam engine took the lead in the summer activities, then harvest, and now getting the other steam engine ready for the Holiday Light Parades (see my thread on the steam side "Holiday LIghts."

I appreciate the information, just need to get my hubby to assist. He's been too busy with his excavation business.

Merry Christmas!

Beth