Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

Nash Quad Buda 4 cyl.?

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 10758 times

Old 04-02-2009, 09:17:48 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Nash Quad Buda 4 cyl.?

He still has it, I don't know where it stands at this point, have not talked with him lately but will soon.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2009, 09:59:57 AM
Registered-II

I spoke with Ken and he says he can probably help with the broken spring hangers, but says the Buda HU engine is probably not going to be found. A local (Colorado) member of the ATHS has been looking for one for 20 years with no success. Does anyone know who currently owns the Nash Quad pitured above?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:54:07 AM
Subscriber

The motor transport museum in San Diego has a Nash Quad with the original engine. They have over a hundred early trucks. Check out there website for more info.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jed Clamp For This Post:
Old 09-07-2009, 10:30:21 PM
Registered-III

Well someone else bought them so I have avoided another project/lawn art. But I'll share the pic of the Page Detroit built Nash Quad using a Haynes built Buda engine. It has place for a starter but no teeth on the flywheel in this one. I like how they put "B" on the brake and "C" on the clutch pedal. I'm told this one was built in 1918 and may have been sold as brand new surplus, it was used by a man who relocated his family with it into the Adirondacks and ran a tourism business, and has sat in the brush for at least the last half century. (Now we can get back to looking for Linn stuff...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nashqdpedals.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	62424   Click image for larger version

Name:	wdgtenashquadrtside.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	62425  
Old 09-12-2009, 04:28:06 AM
Registered-II

Rene, was buda the only engine used in the nash quad? i was offered a 1918 nash a few months back as the owner has lost interest in it, he told me all it needs is the correct engine and a gearbox, which would be more or less impossible to find down here as apparently only 3 were imported to new zealand after ww1, i haven't seen it yet but hope to have a look when travelling at xmas time, mike.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:27:09 PM
Registered-III

Until now it was the only engine I knew of, but this second truck my friend found, while a Buda 4 cyl. in general design, is actually built by Haynes. I would say put a hood and body over it and use whatever will work, with an adapter plate or mounting brackets that can be removed without damaging original pieces, until you can import the proper parts. Static museum pieces don't need to be complete, usable equipment really could be fudged a bit if no one looks to close, not everyone (including me) will be able to tell that it doesn't belong under the hood of a Nash quad. What makes them less rare here is that surplus trucks were given away to towns and county highway departments for the cost of registering and licensing them, and that sometimes they still exist in junkyards, hedgerows, barnyards or half buried behind old highway garages, used in bridge fills, etc.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:48:59 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,208 Times in 945 Posts

Haven't followed the old car builders much, but my older catalogs show Haynes with "own" engines (altho that's not always reliable as to the real engine builder).
I would assume USG contracts were let to other engine builders to build the Buda under license, as was done with the Liberty truck engine.
I'm surprised the HU/HTU is that rare; I ran across a scribbled (misfiled) list I made for someone from a couple catalogs (1930 McCord, 1924 pistons): looks like 50+ trucks and a dozen or more tractors used them, almost all the HTU, altho a few show both.
Almost all long gone names, but a few (Armleder, Dart truck and Dart tractor, Hendrickson, KW, Republic and Stewart) are more familiar names. One shows an unidentified Case tractor (1924 catalog, but I didn't try to verify) and shows the Massey-Harris #2 12-22 tractor. Trucks that showed capacity were mostly 2 to 31/2Ton, tractors (oddly) in low-medium ratings (12-20 to 14-25).When years stated ran 1915-23 (in the 24 catalog, which means probably used later) (no yrs stated in 1930 catalog).
Just out of curiosity, ran a fairly comprehensive (as to trucks) 36 catalog: HU/HTU only has two listings past 1924: 0ne 1925 and one 1930 (a Relay model).
Old 09-15-2009, 03:43:04 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for the info., I can't say much more about them with any knowledge. And I've about posted my photo limit.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:49:05 PM
Registered-III

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36418

So far the best threads all have posts from Bud Tierney in them, so I nominate him the Buda expert
Old 09-16-2009, 12:58:27 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,208 Times in 945 Posts

Hey, if I qualify as an expert, anyone with a real Buda problem is in deep, deep trouble...
Seriously, I'm not sure I've ever seen one...
After years of collecting old-car paper and related paper (it was cheaper and took less space than real cars, and the wife was much happier) I got interested in the independent US engine makers and what-all their engines went into.
This was after I'd thinned my collection, and I find myself buying some of the same old catalogs I sold!!
Aside from a few random engine manuals, all my info comes from these various forums and the printed pages of parts catalogs, and the parts catalogs are often contradictory and always incomplete!!
But many thxx for the kind thoughts!! Bud