Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

Allis Chalmers D14 Model 14 Farm Loader

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 406 times

Old 08-11-2018, 02:02:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,175 Times in 275 Posts
Default Allis Chalmers D14 Model 14 Farm Loader

I have a tractor I picked up around 1960 it is a D14 has the pipe loader frame on it
I have to pick the loader has the tip bucket the cylinders are here no hoses
have to test them for leaks before to much money into hoses

how is this hooked up there is a line at the top of the back axle with a coupler but don't see where the return line goes
these are one way cylinders
does someone have a picture of line hook up
Thanks
Brian
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2018, 06:24:11 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,060 Times in 2,664 Posts
Default Re: Allis Chalmers D14 Model 14 Farm Loader

There aren't any return lines on a one way cylinder. The pressure goes into the bottom of the cyl, the other side of the cyl is vented to the atmosphere. When lift is pressurized the cyl is extended, when pressure is released the fluid simply goes back through the hose and into the tractor system. The design of the tractors valve controls all this. Most older AC tractors have a one way control valve for one way operation. Allis had a very high pressure system at the time so they got away with using a small dia cylinder for implements, and used one way cylinders longer than the other builders. The D series was a bit of a transition period for Allis, they could have either type of system depending how the order was made. If you only have one line and coupler on the tractor, I'd say that for sure it's set up for one way operation unless some one removed a line.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:15:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanks
here is the rear line and the AC cylinder
what kind of pressure should be on the line what is good and to low will put a gauge on it

Is there pressure in this line at all times

just got the tractor 2 weeks ago it's a little rough was told third gear didn't work .I didn't care as it's just to use to move the trailer around the yard and thought in the winter the loader might be handy if I had to lift some thing as the fork lift doesn't work well in snow

but to find out it's popping out of reverse at times not good hold back on shifter the noise is better
I see where they move the lock out on the fork shaft just under a 1/8 to mesh teeth in more

I had the fork cover off the gears look good - reverse half worm teeth

I only would be using about 20 30 hours a year
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4868[1].jpg
Views:	53
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	316172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4867[1].jpg
Views:	50
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	316173  
Old 08-11-2018, 07:56:58 PM
One Millionth Post

It is definitely a one way outlet there. I see that someone has added a ball valve to that line, Not all that good or why it's there but just be sure that it's open when using that outlet. The regular tractor valve should control all functions on that line. Those systems run close to 2000psi when working. Pressure is only on the line when putting control valve in lift position when running. May need to have the clutch engaged to operate, not sure on that one, If the hyd pump is on the motor or in the trans, just be sure it has oil in the system. Worn gears are common on loader tractors, not good but if you can get along just be careful. In the long run you can count on having to repair the trans. Hoses and couplers can be gotten at most ag or farm supply places, generally not too expensive. There should be 2 cylinders on the loader, they will be plumbed together so both lift at the same time. If the cylinders leak, there are shops that rebuild the old ones, just have to look around. It would be a good idea to source a operation manual for it, can help you understand it better. note: There may have been a one off loader out there that had only one cylinder but they had a rockshaft type of linkage.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 08-11-2018, 08:37:37 PM
Subscriber

I have the other cylinder one had a tee to run line to other side
I will hook cylinders up to check for leaks if they don't leak will get the hoses
not into fixing trans big job and lots of money

the lever for pressure is this the one for the 3 point hitch if so would the 3 point hitch arms have to be all the way up
I find it jerky on the lever when I lift

will play with it a little more i had some new tractors in the late 80's for snow but never play with any till now for got what i knew

I have a pump I could mount on the front but the back pto would be easier I would need to add a oil tank have one from my small dump truck

If things don't work out can always re sell it the loader frame has no welds have to check the loader when I pick it up
seems some people like this style loader
motor runs well not bad tin and back tires

thanks
Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4870[1].jpg
Views:	31
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	316200  

Last edited by Brian.P; 08-12-2018 at 07:04:24 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian.P For This Post:
Old 08-11-2018, 09:14:57 PM
One Millionth Post

If the only valve is also for the hitch, I can see the reason for the ball valve, likely the coupler on the back leaks a bit and that was added to close it off. Older guys like me still like those old units because that's what we grew up with and are familiar with, that plus the fact that we can afford them. Also yes it's normal for the hitch arms to be up when the lever is used to raise the loader, as they both use the one control. On those earlier tractors the pump is a plunger type working off a cam type lifter to actuate the plungers, they can have a jerky out put if one of the plungers aren't working.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 08-18-2018, 02:09:26 PM
Subscriber

I went and picked up the hoses made a few trips lucky I have a bunch of tractor Dealers and a good shop for hoses and fittings within 5 miles

I put a 3000 lbs gauge on the line coming out the back I can pin it so I guess the pump works well

had a leak on one cylinder I tighten the 4 bolts up a bit on the flange seem to go away I don't have the loader will pick it up this week

I ran the cylinders to the end to check for leaks then pushed them half way back in and tied one down with some 10 000 strapping didn't hold the lever long it was getting good and tight

so hope to be able to lift a few things with no big leaks
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian.P For This Post:
Old 08-18-2018, 11:06:44 PM
Registered-II

I think you'll find on the Allis Chalmers with the plunger type hydraulic systems, Run between 3,300 and 3,500 pounds of pressure. I currently have a C A, have had a WD45, a D14, and a D17. All of them had these pressures on the hydraulic systems. Make sure you buy high pressure hoses. My D17 would lift a John Deere 694 planter loaded with no problem with a 2X8 cylinder where as a 4020 John Deere had to use a 3 1/2" cylinder for the same load. Use NON detergent oil #20 in these Chalmers with the plunger pumps according to Chalmers.
The Following User Says Thank You to butch vollmar For This Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 06:51:18 AM
Subscriber

I not sure what weight this will lift being it's pipe .I would be happy with around 700

I put on 2 wire 4000 psi hoses didn't know at the time the pressure was that hi would have went with 3 wire just went with the 3/8 one from the back to a t at one cylinder then one from there to the other

Have to get the right diagram for the wiring the 2 wires from the Gen are going to the voltage regulator right now not sure that is right and there is a lose wire off the regulator

Gauges don't work my have been wired just to run not sure it charging

Have to check think it's a 12 volt .it has positive ground 2 posts on Gen serial number looks like 17642 witch should be 1959

Here is the loader doesn't seem to bad
doesn't have the legs need to put a cable 3 broken forks but I have to remove them anyways
have to make some pins
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4891[1].jpg
Views:	7
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	316726  

Last edited by Brian.P; 08-20-2018 at 06:59:21 PM.