Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > How to use this web site:
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

How to use this web site: Registering, passwords, navigating, subscribing and getting the most out of this web site.

How to use this web site:

NO FREE LUNCH on the Internet

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 6479 times

Old 08-27-2017, 11:11:10 AM
Administrator

Thanked 12,315 Times in 2,118 Posts
Default NO FREE LUNCH on the Internet

Apparently Photobucket has recently woke up to the fact that their users have been linking to their uploaded Photobucket photos from other web sites. (That's Smokstak for one.)

We are then left to look at a Photobucket logo including their pop-up advertising. Please update your Photobucket account or better yet, DO NOT USE OFF SITE PHOTO HOSTS! They have a bad habit of getting hungry or simply going away!

The rest of us get to see these in your posts and this leaves us no choice but to DELETE your posts!

http://photobucket.com/P500/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0..._3rdparty_pgs/

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15...sy-paid-update

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/ph...hosted-images/

https://www.google.com/search?q=phot...utf-8&oe=utf-8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photobucket
Quote:
Photobucket was founded in 2003 by Alex Welch and Darren Crystal and received funding from Trinity Ventures.[7][8] It was acquired by Fox Interactive Media in 2007.
In December 2009, Fox's parent company, News Corp, sold Photobucket to Seattle mobile imaging startup Ontela. Ontela then renamed itself Photobucket Inc. and continues to operate as Photobucket.[9]
In June 2010, Photobucket was named in the Lead411's Hottest Seattle Companies list.[10]
On June 28, 2017, Photobucket changed its Terms of Use regarding free accounts and third party hosting (hosting on forums, eBay, etc). Only the most expensive plan, at $399.99 per year, now permits third party hosting and linking to forums.[11] Photobucket made this change with no input or consultation with their current users, or the public. Adding this to photobuckets use of excessive pop-up ads, scams, clickbait advertisements, and in some cases viruses embedded in ads, the number of active accounts quickly decreased.[citation needed]
This new business model has caused thousands of forum DIY's and write-ups with explanatory pictures to be rendered useless. About 500 words into the linked document was a declaration that free accounts would no longer permit image-linking to third-party sites. eBay and Etsy have also been affected, in addition to many forums and blogs.[12] Thousands of images promoting goods sold on Amazon and other shopping sites have been removed after the photo-sharing service changed its terms, causing a great deal of controversy. One user was quoted as saying: "The CEO of Photobucket will have trouble getting a job digging a garden after this."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photobucket
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photobucket.gif
Views:	3627
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	289566  
Old 08-27-2017, 12:04:34 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: NO FREE LUNCH on the Internet

Agreed Harry. Good Job.

Bruce in Saint Ignace
Old 09-03-2017, 08:51:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,730 Times in 350 Posts

I've had a Photobucket Pro account since 2008. I was paying around $80 a year for the Pro account.

Those "fine folks" at PB have allowed my account to continue the third party hosting until my renewal date in spring next year.

After a very short thought process, I have decided to get my own domain ( from HostMonster ) and will be hosting my own pictures from there. The $400 extortion payment that PB wants for one year will pay for over three years of my own domain.

For all I care, PhotoBucket can go down the tubes. I've put various pictures on different forums showing how to do different things. Thanks to PB greed, all you get is their extortion label instead of the pictures.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:37:28 AM
Subscriber

Wish they{PB} were publicly traded company ,, I'd short them into the dirt !!

its so sad to see such a wealth of info destroyed ,, I never understood why anybody would use them to start ,, there is no FREE.

thank you HARRY for running a great site !!!
Old 10-07-2017, 10:28:54 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 28,318 Times in 2,553 Posts

This Photo Bucket fiasco has me hotter than hell. I have been a paying subscriber from their service for years using their 100 gig plan. Now as of this past week they have turned off linking photos. My sincere apologies to the Smokstak readers who cannot view the photos in the detailed threads I have posted . I am half tempted to wait and see if they realize they made a mistake and turn back on this feature for paying customers of lesser plans other than their $400/year. If not, I will unfortunately tell PhotoBucket - sayonara, which means all of this documentation will be lost for good. Again, so sorry...
Old 10-08-2017, 06:42:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,867 Times in 2,966 Posts

I don't understand why everyone doesn't use Harry's site to host photos used in their posts. They will be here for as long as the site is here.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:16:00 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 28,318 Times in 2,553 Posts

Elden, Moving forward your suggestion probably makes the most sense, however all the images on untold number of threads on Smokdtak by members with photobucket hosted images are now sadly gone. Speaking for myself I have untold hours documenting reproduction and restoration activity for the past 10 years or so that is lost unless I fork out $400 a year which is unlikely to happen. Had I only known.....
Old 10-08-2017, 10:23:03 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,166 Times in 757 Posts

The cost to a forum is the bandwidth used in viewing the pictures, the storage aspect is relatively cheap.

Peter
Old 10-08-2017, 11:46:59 AM
Registered

I would gladly pay photo bucket $10 a year to view photos hosted there. To me it makes more sense then hitting the photo owners with $400. There is no reason why they could not offer both.

A while back my blogspot blog and youtube accounts were messed. I was forced to change accounts and their transfer tools failed. Luckily I have the original material but its a pain patching up the blogs. Nothing is safe unless you control the host.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:47:13 PM
Subscriber

This site does free image hosting.

http://postimages.org/

I have been using them a bit lately, but who knows if they will go the same route as PhotoPhucket in the future.

I have years of images across a dozen or so various forums. I have down loaded all my images off of PB. But I have no way of rebuilding any of my old posts. Really sad. I am so done with PB.

I tend to use external hosting to I can post high resolution images without using forum band width or hitting size limits. At the moment I a avoiding posting images all together.