Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > How to use this web site:
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

How to use this web site: Registering, passwords, navigating, subscribing and getting the most out of this web site.

How to use this web site:

UPDATE: All Verizon Email Customers!

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 18641 times

Old 01-14-2007, 12:58:47 AM
Administrator

Thanked 12,262 Times in 2,113 Posts
Default UPDATE: All Verizon Email Customers!

VERIZON CUSTOMERS ONLY:

All email from Smokstak and Enginads through mail.oldengine.net is being throttled by Verizon.net.

Please fill out the form at:
http://www2.verizon.net/micro/whitel....asp?id=member

From email domain: mail.oldengine.net , 64.246.50.5
Old 01-19-2007, 11:09:51 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Attention All Verizon Email Customers!

I was able to speak with a high level analyst at Verizon who investigated the situation. The result was not pretty. Basically, we are sending too much email to Verizon customers and therefore, Verizon is throttling Smokstak email. Well, isn't that just amazing? You pay for an ISP to provide you with service and they restrict your service. Did you know that your email is metered?

It made no difference to Verizon that you are the customer and I am simply sending you the email that you want. Unfortunately, to keep peace with Verizon, I will need to de-subscribe some of the thread update email that you have requested. It proves what I already knew - even though Verizon just ran fiber optic service down our street, I'll be staying with my cable modem service from Comcast.

Might I recommend that you obtain a Hotmail address? www.hotmail.com You'll be needing it anyway if you expect much more than a dozen emails per day.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:16:26 AM
Administrator

Default Re: UPDATE: All Verizon Email Customers!

Alan,

I have found nothing in my logs to indicate the kind of email volume indicated by you during our telephone conversation, for mail sent by my server to verizon.net. I simply don't have that level of traffic.

However, I do reject spam based upon a black hole rejection list, including spam SENT from verizon.net customers and perhaps this is being confused for valid traffic from my server:

2007-01-24 08:32:28 H=pool-71-250-77-4.nwrknj.east.verizon.net (friend)
[71.250.77.4] F=<simon@mlode.com> rejected RCPT <terry@oilfieldengine.com>:
Message rejected because pool-71-250-77-4.nwrknj.east.verizon.net (friend)
[71.250.77.4] is blacklisted at bl.spamcop.net see Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?71.250.77.4

In the meanwhile, I have set ALL new registrants with VERIZON.NET email addresses to be blocked from registering on www.smokstak.com or www.enginads.com as it is easier and much less stressful that way. Your customers will simply have to sign up for a Hotmail.com email address to get into these web sites.

-- Harry Matthews (mail.oldengine.net 64.246.50.5)

----- Original Message -----
To: "Harry"
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: Smokstak and Verixon Email from 64.246.50.5 to 206.46.232.11

> Harry
>
> I have your information I am working on getting this to the right people in the right areas so this will not be an inconvience anymore , any problems feel free to email me
>
> Thank you
>
> Alan S Cherry
> Local Area Manager
> Verizon.com
Old 01-24-2007, 10:19:24 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,082 Times in 495 Posts
Default Re: UPDATE: All Verizon Email Customers!

An easy work around for verizon users is to get a Hotmail account and use hotmail.com for email.

Look in your Hotmail junk mail folder! If you have your email filter set to EXCLUSIVE you will not receive the confirmation message from my server. You can set your filter at: options - junk email protection - junk email filter. If it is set to Exclusive, set it to Enhanced. Make sure that you don't have it set to delete junk mail immediately!

Options > Junk Email Protection > Delete Junk Email (Deliver to Junk EMail folder and Delete Later.) This way you can see it in the folder! Once you get our mail, set it to be from an OK sender!. Once you get email from Smokstak at oldengine.net mark it as OK on your address list and than you should be able to turn the spam filter back on.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20335