Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

40 Gaar Scott Restoration

this thread has 284 replies and has been viewed 52075 times

Old 08-03-2010, 09:47:14 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,965 Times in 600 Posts
Default Re: 40 Gaar Scott Restoration

As Jerred said, we had a successful run with the Big 40 on Sunday. I was looking through some of the photos and videos this morning. Sadly, my ten-year-old didn't grasp the importance of making sure he took a "good" video, so many of them are too shaky and hard to watch due to all of his movement. But Bill Haun, the sawmill Nazi, as I've heard him referred too, did take some nice video and I'm uploading one of three that he took. In the videos, Jeff Lund is engineering with his oldest son, Tristan (sp?) looking on and Jerred Ruble as the steerman. As you'll be able to see, the ol' girl really steps out!

I'm attaching a few photos that caught my eye this morning. I hope you all enjoy them...as Jerred signed off with..."I sure did"

In Photo #1 Bill Haun caught a nice shot of the sun setting off to the side as we started our run back up the field. I plowed half way back before turning the throttle over to Jeff. I figured he'd enjoy pulling throttle/firing his boiler too.

Photo #2 was taken as right after we re-aligned ourselves up to the furrow for our last run up the field. I was firing the big lassie and Jerred, to pass some time, apparently was whistling to himself. Guess there isn't much more that he can do from that steerman's seat.

Photo #3 is a photo of Jerred and I right before we headed back up the field. It was a great day and the girl really performed well. We did learn that you can't keep 3/4 glass when plowing downhill though...she did prime on us once early on. Since I was more incline to working the ol' girl in instead of seeing what she could do. I was feathering the throttle during most of the plowing. However, when Jeff took over, it was full throttle all the way!

All and all it was a successful day followed by a full day of clean-up. After yesterday's clean-up by Nicholas and myself, you can't even tell we had her out in the field. Got to keep her nice looking for her unveiling and the last few little tid-bits of eye candy...her pretty blue frilly-dilly and flywheel pin-stripping and some additional scroll work for the saddle tanks. Other than that, I think she is pretty well done! It has been an amazing ride...one that I won't ever forget, I'm certain of that.

As Jerred said, our list is growing pretty small compared to a few weeks back. There is nothing earth shattering, like removing wheels or something like that! We have a couple of valve stems that need to be repacked and other small items along those lines. Nothing major...

I hope you all have enjoyed watching the engine come back to life as much as Jerred and I have sharing our experience with all of you. Like I said, it has been memorable!!!!

Lawrence
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big 40 GaarScott - Plowing Photo #1 - 08-01-2010.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	84243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big 40 GaarScott - Plowing Photo #2 - 08-01-2010.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	84244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big 40 GaarScott - Plowing Photo #3 - 08-01-2010.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	84245  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2010, 11:48:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,595 Times in 489 Posts

Tristan, Ted, and myself wish to thank Jerred and Lawrence for an awesome Big 40 experience. Ten years ago I would never would of believed it that I would get to run a Big 40, but also with one of my boilers under it. Even though we were very tired on the way to taking Ted and Tristan home that is all we talked about!

Thank you Jerred
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LundMachineWorks For This Post:
Old 08-04-2010, 07:21:37 AM
Registered-III

Lawrence,
Photo one, with you and Jerred and the sunset needs to go on a calender or post card, that is a truly beautiful picture!
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric W B For This Post:
Old 08-04-2010, 10:01:30 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,965 Times in 600 Posts

Eric,

I'm kind of partial to that one myself. I really like how the sun is setting off to the right side of the engine and you can see the church tower and parts of the Heritage Park show grounds off of the left.

Lawrence
Old 10-06-2010, 04:07:18 PM
Subscriber

I was scanning postcard for another thread and also found this one. I though the 40 Garr restoration crew might like to see it. You gota love the Car to. This must have been a well to do ranch!

-Dean-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garr Scott big 40.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	89418  
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Steamrguy For This Post: