Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

US Injector #4 Performance

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1374 times

Old 08-08-2014, 12:02:06 AM
Registered

Default US Injector #4 Performance

What can anyone tell me about what sort of performance I should get out of a #4 US injector. We have a new engine with 2 #4s on it. We have been down-rated to 75 lbs of pressure (long story). We do not know if these have been working in the past or not but we cannot get them to inject at 75. They pick up the water from the tanks but overflow immediately and dump it all on the ground. Just looking for the brains here to give me some input. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2014, 12:49:25 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,542 Times in 493 Posts
Default Re: US Injector #4 Performance

ChickenSoup,

That stinks that your boiler has been derated that much. Some folks have can't get their injectors working unless it is above 60 PSI - that's a slim margine.

You may like to look at this recent thread about US injectors:
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136234

Injectors are very finicky if anything is not right, they are not forgiving.

1) You should take apart and clean the injector parts.
2) You should make sure there are no leaks in the intake plumbing. Injectors don't work if there are any leaks on the intake water plumbing. - They justsuck air and don't suck up water
3) Make sure the check valves are clean enough on your rig to perform as they should.
4) Learn how to read what a finicky injector is telling you - Can't help you on that part.

Your boiler is so derated you may need to get a steam pump or a different injector.

-CB
Old 08-08-2014, 01:37:39 AM
Registered

Check Valves are holding fine. We have taken the injectors apart and have cleaned them as well. No leaks from what I see. Pulled the feed water hose and put it in 5 gallon pail to make sure there were no issues in the tank. I guess I know the basics of trying to make them work. I was just looking at getting others experiences on the performance that they have with the US Injectors to see if what we are seeing is likely due to low pressure, etc. It seems to have the feeling of having difficulty picking the water and injecting it. We are going to switch them out with a pair of B 21 Penberthys that we have on hand. Hope that does the trick for now. Also, I did see that other thread, I just was hoping for some more input.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to ChickenSoup For This Post:
Old 08-08-2014, 02:18:08 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,542 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenSoup View Post
We are going to switch them out with a pair of B 21 Penberthys that we have on hand. Hope that does the trick for now. Also, I did see that other thread, I just was hoping for some more input.
Seems like you can make more then chicken soup, ChickenSoup.

However, if you want to try things - don't put duplicates of whatever injectors or whatever water sources.

Try Different sized injectors from the same manufacturer, or Different injectors injectors from different manufacturers.

-CB
Old 08-08-2014, 06:53:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 313 Posts

I have a #4 , and it only works marginally at 75 psi. Seems better at high pressures >100 psi. But it might work if you throttle the water down. I have a #4 and a #5 side by side, and neither will work with a fully open water valve. By the way, the #5 would seem to work better for you at 75psi - that's what I have experienced.

Tom R.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:48:58 AM
eMail NOT Working

Thanked 1,015 Times in 221 Posts

My #4 on my Keck started doing the same thing one time. I took nearly everything apart. Finally took the valve off at the boiler, fleck of rust stuck just before the valve. Removed, worked great.
How that piece of rust got there? I have no idea.

Frick gone Keck
The Following User Says Thank You to Frick1909 For This Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 11:37:34 AM
Subscriber

I will tell you some of what I think... Throttling the water may or may not help.. Do you have a strainer of some sort on your suction??? I highly recommend this whether it is a wye screen or just a screen over pipe what have you. Like others said how are your checks working... that is a big thing. One other thing I have seen is where there is a tee before the check going into the boiler.. If injector is stubborn this can be opened and get the injector flowing and then slowly close it and they will usually take. The only other thing I can think of is make absolutely sure that there are NO air leaks on your suction piping. Not even so much as a pin hole. Air really works agains you in a suction situation whether it be pumps etc.

I have had injectors work as low as in the 40+ lbs range and not real well, but I have done it. Those are a smaller penberthy but also have done it with a 3/4 on my big engines. Hope this helps.

One more thing make damn sure jets are free of debris and also jets can be worn out from dirty water over time. Use clean water and clean watering up practices if at all possible.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:42:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,643 Times in 785 Posts

A tangent to the performance question:

I have a US 5-1/2 and the drain plug made me do a double take. The top of it has a small hole drilled in the center; you can see right through it even when screwed in. Is this correct? I'd think it would shoot water in use, but maybe I'm missing something.