Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

What Transfer Switch to use with a Honda?

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 289 times

Old 04-11-2018, 03:51:33 PM
Registered

Default What Transfer Switch to use with a Honda?

so ive given up on the idea of buying a generac standby generator.i now have a good eb 4000 generator thanks to everyones help here.so my question is what is the best way to power up part of the house circuits with a portable Honda generator?i don't want to be messing around with extension cords anymore.also in the near future I would like to upgrade to a Honda EU7000 inverter unit.is a generlink a decent way to go?or should I look into say a 16 circuit transfer switch?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2018, 04:04:18 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: what transfer switch to use with a honda?

Yes you should look into a small manual transfer switch to power critical power circuits from your standby generator if not large enough to carry the complete load.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:46:55 PM
Registered-I

I think the EB4000 has a bonded neutral. I don't know if it's easy to remove that bond in the generator. Don't know if it's a screw or if it requires hacking up some metal bonding strap. I would make sure you address this first.

I just removed a 10 circuit load side transfer switch because after a few years I realized I want more choice about what I can run. I replaced it with an interlock and backfeed breaker.

APC seems to make a fairly sophisticated manual transfer switch and Honda at some point partnered with them on the marketing. I think it can do some load shedding.

For 30A, I would use one of those meter can collar devices. Doesn't require any interior wiring and IIRC you plug the generator right into the inlet on the meter collar. GenerLink is the brand. Some utility companies will sell it and install it for you.

For more than 30A and IF my utility allowed it, I would use the PSP Transconnect version of the meter collar device. They have a semi-automatic version. It switches over once the engine is started and is outputting good power.

Otherwise, with all of my expensive lessons learned factored in, I would have wired up a service entrance transfer switch on day 1 (ASCO 185), a feeder that can support 100 A to a cheap disconnect with a small breaker, and an inlet. This way you can change to a standby generator later without much extra effort.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:11:02 PM
Registered-I

Generlink is a nice product. As bill said the EB 4000 has a bonded neutral. With generlink I think you need a floating neutral. The EU series has a Floating neutral so no problem there. Here's a video of one in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mQBfHiPJTM
Old 04-12-2018, 12:29:43 PM
Registered

Default Re: What Transfer Switch to use with a Honda?

generlink looks like a decent product for sure.gotta double check to see if its legal here.after reading up on the generlink,a 4000 watt generator is not big enough to activate the switch.

thanks